Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Itty-bitty outboards...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Itty-bitty outboards...

As some of you know, I have a very lightweight porta-bote which is lighter than an aluminum of the same length. (12')
    I've been looking at the new 4 stroke outboards from 2 to 9.8 horse, and would like any opinions from people who have the smaller outboards for their real light boats. I'd rather have a much lighter 2 stroke, but they aren't availiable new anymore???
    I'm mostly concerned about a little 2-4 horse 4 stroke being able to push me into the wind if it's really blowing hard, which it can do around here in the evenings, on the lakes. Or in the coastal bays, if I'm out crabbing. Just want to know how fast an outboard under 6 horses will push a lightweight rowboat. Thanks!
    GGJ
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Skaneateles,NY(Summer)/Port ST.Lucie,FL(Winter)
    Post Thanks / Like

It's MY opinion only, mind you, but if you're out in conditions which a 2-4 HP motor won't move you around with ease, then the boat/motor is too small...
    ..."An old fisherman lives here with the best catch of his life"...:D

Post Thanks / Like

keep in mind the pitch and size of the prop. This could make a big differance.

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you, I would definately be looking for a 2 stroke. Even if it is used, I would not buy a 4 stroke. I assume that you boat has some type of floatation in it. Most of the light boats are designed for 2 stroke and will not stay afloat with water in them if you have the heavier 4 stroke. Sense you seem to be like me, willing to brave the roughest conditions, I would highly recomend sticking to the 2 stroke and keeping it down to the lowest horsepower that will get the job done. I think you can still find new 2 strokes if you look around enough. If not, there should be some good used ones on the market.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

Glowgood jigster I was running a 5 hp briggs and stratton on a 14 jon boat for 2 years. It had plenty of power to fight the wind. it would move me and 2 batteries and alot of rods 10 mph. for the money of buying a new motor you cant beat it. started everytime never gave me a lick of problems and weights in at 56 pounds, only draw back was it was a little loud but being air cooled it was worth it not to have to worry about a water pump and I could start it and let it run anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

For price look at the Nissan/Tohatsu/Mercury engines (all the same engine with a different paintjob. Good little engines for a decent price. Suzuki's are also good engines at a fair price. Honda/Yamaha are overpriced IMO for small engines. 6hp is PLENTY for your boat, I have an old Evinrude 6hp on my 12' aluminum row and it goes ~15mph with just me aboard and ~8-9mph with 2 people and a load of fishing gear (doesn't plain with 2 people)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile small outboard

I also owned a porte a bote. I bought a 5 hp 4 stroke nissan with it. It worked great on that boat, and I still use it as a kicker on my deep vee, it is one great motor, it has run in salt water, brackish water, and in rivers and lakes. In 7 years the only repair was a carb, and that was through my neglect. I also had a minn kota rear mount trolling motor on that outfit, which I still use today.I change oil once a season, use only premium synthetic, and I'd gladly buy another nissan 4 stroke.

slowpoke Guest

Red face anyway to speed up B&S 5HP

I have a Briggs 5hp and like it ok, just wish that I can speed it up a bit. Is there anyway to do this? It really has a hard time with 2 in the boat. It also seems to rev up and down like a governor kicking in and out. Is there anyone that can help me with this? Thanks for the help in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke
    I have a Briggs 5hp and like it ok, just wish that I can speed it up a bit. Is there anyway to do this? It really has a hard time with 2 in the boat. It also seems to rev up and down like a governor kicking in and out. Is there anyone that can help me with this? Thanks for the help in advance.

I had one too, and ended up letting it go with my 14' jon. I searched and searched for ways to "hop-UP" my Briggs, and found it wasn't worth it. It seems most of the HP is harnessed by the rev-limiter. It won't let the little power house get over 3200 rpm, so that you arent stranded on the water.

However, remember this.............all racing engines and "built" motors fail faster than stockers. If you install racing pistons, valves, cam, etc. etc. expect it to be bad a$$ for a 5hp, but also expect it to fail on the water at some time.

Leave it stock!
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glowgood Jigster
    As some of you know, I have a very lightweight porta-bote which is lighter than an aluminum of the same length. (12')
    I've been looking at the new 4 stroke outboards from 2 to 9.8 horse, and would like any opinions from people who have the smaller outboards for their real light boats. I'd rather have a much lighter 2 stroke, but they aren't availiable new anymore???
    I'm mostly concerned about a little 2-4 horse 4 stroke being able to push me into the wind if it's really blowing hard, which it can do around here in the evenings, on the lakes. Or in the coastal bays, if I'm out crabbing. Just want to know how fast an outboard under 6 horses will push a lightweight rowboat. Thanks!
    GGJ
    I feel for you. I been looking forever for a good motor for my 14 ft Jon. No 2 strokes are being manufactured anymore. Tohatsu is making small 4 strokers for Nissan, Mercury, etc. Suzuki was making small 4 strokes for Johnson/Evinrude. I think they dropped J/E and only build for themselves now. You might find a small Johnson/Evinrude at a reasonable price right now. I have seen 20 year old 2 strokes sell for a 1000 bucks. Not to me.

I finally broke down and bought a new Suzuki 15hp 4stroke with electric start. It weighs 107 pounds. Lightest one I could find in a 4 stroke model. Hope it don't sink my boat. I got it in yesterday evening. I will be trying it out this coming weekend.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast