Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe's "Healthy" fish fry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Joe's "Healthy" fish fry

This weekend's fish fry was "healthier" than normal.

For the beer batter, I used the "Heart Healthy" Bisquick and Labbatts Blue Light beer.

Instead of Crisco, I fried them in Canola oil.

They still turned out yummy.

Here's my recipe, I don't measure anything, but will give you my best guess at what I usually dump in the bowl:

1 1/2 cups corn meal
    2 cups Bisquick
    1 egg
    1 can of beer
    2 TBS salt
    1 TBS pepper
    1 TBS garlic powder

Big jug of Canola oil for "healthier" frying.

Put Bisquick in bowl with salt, pepper, garlic powder and mix it up with a fork or whisk.

Add egg and beer, mixing until the consistency is like pancake batter.

Fill Cast Iron skillet with 1" of oil and heat to Med-High

Dredge fillets in corn meal then dip in batter (let some of the batter drip off before putting in the pan - don't want the batter too thick) and fry until golden brown on the outside. Remove and let cool on paper towels.

This is just the base recipe. If you like spicy, you can add some cayenne pepper or some Red Hot.

If you're not doing the "healthy eating" thing, substitute regular beer for the light beer, original Bisquick for the "heart healthy" Bisquick, and fry 'em up in Crisco. Actually, I doubt if my recipe is any healthier anyhow, but having ingredients with "Light" and "Heart-Healthy" in their names makes me not feel so guilty chowing down on yummy stuff

I use this for most everything we keep - crappie, bluegill, bass, perch, bullhead. Salmon and trout are the exception they usually go on the grill. Salmon get a marinade, trout get butter and lemon.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone give this a try yet? My relatives and whole neighborhood loves it, but I'd like some feedback from folks that eat fish on a more regular basis.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried your recipe yet but, I'll wade in on the oil topic.

I have been using rice bran oil for its health benefits as well as the high smoke point.

It is loaded with antioxidants and vitamins. It can get hotter than peanut oil, adds a fantastic light taste and has a lower viscosity than other oils that allows more of it to drip off the fillets when removed instead of soaking back in the meal when sitting waiting to be eaten. This makes the fillets much more crispier than normal.

Give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you get it? I'll try the local health food place. Sounds good.
    I will be trying this tomorrow. I hope.
    What makes a better lightning rod than a graphite fishing rod? NOTHING!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about healthy but I will try it.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GregG
    I have been using rice bran oil for its health benefits as well as the high smoke point.

It is loaded with antioxidants and vitamins. It can get hotter than peanut oil, adds a fantastic light taste and has a lower viscosity than other oils that allows more of it to drip off the fillets when removed instead of soaking back in the meal when sitting waiting to be eaten. This makes the fillets much more crispier than normal.

Give it a try.
    like Buffy said... Where can you buy it? - I'm willing to give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miller
    I don't know about healthy but I will try it.
    Let me know what you think - just want an "outside" opinion (not family or neighbors).

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I didn't check back on this topic until now.

I buy my oil from riceland.com and purchase the six one gallon jugs. That will last me all year even giving a gallon or two away to friends or curious folks. After shipping it comes to about 7.00-7.50 per gallon. Which is comparable to buying peanut oil in price. They also have a large 4 or 5 gallon container for 27.50 plus shipping but, I have never bought it in a big container because I like having the ability to give away a jug to someone on occasion.

http://www.riceland.com/consumers/gifts/

These are the benefits of using rice bran oil listed on http://whatscookingamerica.net/Infor...iceBranOil.htm

Some of the benefits of California Rice Oil are:

Now being used by many restaurants in deep fryers to eliminate Trans Fat!!

A source of vitamin E complex, antioxidants and other micronutrients to help fight free radicals and combat the effects of aging. Rice bran oil has more of these components than other cooking oils. The components of rice bran oil give it an outstanding shelf life.

* Rice Bran Oil has the best balance of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats as recommended by such organizations as the American Heart Association and the World Health Organization. It's the oil of choice for improving serum cholesterol levels and preventing cardiovascular diseases.

* The viscosity of our oil is very light and the flavor delicate. Foods cooked with California Rice Oil absorb up to 20% less oil! Less oil absorbed results in reduced calories, better, lighter tasting food and enhanced flavor and palatability. Less oil absorbed also makes it more economical.

* Rice Bran Oil is hypoallergenic. For those who have an intolerance to other cooking oils this is an excellent alternative.

* The actual cost of California Rice Oil to the consumer is not significantly different than other high-grade vegetable oils on the market.

* Rice bran oil is a naturally occurring source of many antioxidants such as Tocopherols, Tocotrienols, Gamma Oryzanol, Phytosterols, Polyphenols and Squalene.

* Rice bran oil has a very high smoke (burn) point, making it perfect for deep frying, pan or stir frying and is a premium choice for the replacement of hydrogenated oil containing trans fat now being used in deep fryers.

* Rice bran oil creates less polymers than other oils meaning better flavor and easier clean-up.
    Last edited by GregG; 06-14-2007 at 10:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! The one health food store I asked at irritated me no end, the girl looked about 12 and I asked if the carried it, she did not even look up and said if it's not on the shelf we don't.
    Grrrr.
    Anyway thanks for the info, sounds like what I'm looking for!
    What makes a better lightning rod than a graphite fishing rod? NOTHING!

Post Thanks / Like

If you like fried fish and have concerns about cholesterol, rice bran oil is the best choice from all the info I have read.

There is some research on an enzyme found only in rice bran oil that has proven to actually lower cholesterol in concentration. I don't think frying fish in it is going to solve high cholesterol but, it isn't going to add to the problem like other oil will.

http://www.raysahelian.com/ricebranoil.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast