Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: propellers

Post Thanks / Like

Default propellers

Fellas,
    I figer that this is the best place to ask this question. I was just given a 16' venture w/ a 40 hp mariner. the prop is trashed, where iyo is the best place to get a new prop and what is iyo the best prop for the $

thanks,
    Stink
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

You will need to properly "prop" your rig depending on hull weight, gear / person weight, etc. You want to be turning the correct RPM at WOT or you're going to shorten the life of your motor significantly.

For a 16' boat with a 40 I'd just get a factory aluminum in a small to moderate recommended pitch for that motor.

Post Thanks / Like

I own a 98 40hp Mariner trashed the aluminum prop had it rebuilt for a spare and replaced it with a Cabelas stainless, it has been a great prop this motor has been used in all kinds of conditions one morning had to break ice for at least 200 yards duck hunting there is no way a aluminum prop would have held up but if you dont use your boat in rough conditions save your money and buy the aluminum. The motor is on a 17ft. alweld I dont remember the size but I will look tomorrow and get back with you.

Post Thanks / Like

I would look at iboats.com

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how close you are to Hot Springs, but, I have been bailed out by Trader Bill's one more than one prop catastophy.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

If you fish stumpy water, you'll spend more replacing aluminum props.

Post Thanks / Like

OK............. I've had my boat going on three years now and I put one of these on when I busted my first aluminum prop on my second trip. The Rez has some wicked stumps and if you don't know it you WILL bust one in a heart beat.

I check out Piranha Composite Props out http://www.piranha.com/ and went with them............. the initial cost was the same as an aluminum prop roughly around $125.00 for my Johnson 40. But the great thing is you can try out different pitches and keep spares in your boat and take up less space because you just swap out the blades.

I buy on line from here: http://www.discountboatpropellers.com/ and the props cost me about $20.00 per blade (3 for me) and most of the time when I do bugger up one I only have to replace one blade at a time.

So far in three years of use I have had to replace 1 prop entirely............. not bad $60.00 for a new prop. And I did try a 17 pitch and didn't like it so now I only buy 15 pitch and use the 17 as a spare along with some 15 blades. So I really have two spare props in the boat.

These are not for everyone. But $60.00 for a new prop is better then $125.00 for an aluminum one. And I really can't tell the difference.

john
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I got a brand new 10 1/2 - 13 for my 40hp force, on EBAY for 35.00 shipped. I look there first for anything I need.
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 40 HP two stroke Merc with a 16 pitch on a 1653 Stick Steer Triton Aluminum boat but had to change to a 14 pitch because it was too weak.