Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sliding reel seats, reliable?

JackOfAllTrades Guest

Default sliding reel seats, reliable?

I'm buying a new crappie outfit and found the setup that I think I want to go with. It's either a Pflueger underspin 1806 or the 4410u (haven't decided which one will be the best suitable for my adventures). The rod I want for this reel is an Eagle Claw Featherlight 7'6" with the sliding reel seats, I wanted something alittle bigger than ultralight. This will be my first experience with sliding reel seats so I'm kinda worried about the reliability of these things.

Will they hang-on to the reel pretty good (tight) or will they eventually work loose? It seems to me they would probably scar up the cork handle, which would lead to the reel never being held good enough.

I e-mailed Cabela's and asked them about it and they say their fine and should not cause any problems and that they've never had any complaints on them. But get this, they said that some people use tie-straps to hold them tighter or to keep them from coming loose, I'm not going with this if I have to resort to tie-straps.

Anybody have any experiences with these things?

Post Thanks / Like

i love the rod but the reel seats on mine have zip-ties due to when they get wet they slid and the reel fell off.....thank goodness for good line. the cork handles hold as good as the foam but i dont trust em with my reels..

my .02
    Josh

Post Thanks / Like

I have Shakespeare Ugly Stick crappie rods with sliding reel seats. Have not had any trouble with'em. Most of the ultra light rigs available now have sliding reel seats as opposed to fixed ones.

Post Thanks / Like

I wrap electrical tape on both ends of reel seat works good

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe those are called tennessee grips. I've got an All Star with them and have had no problems. But just to be safe I put a drop of RTV between the reel and the rings.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tennessee Spin is the proper name, and I hate to say this but as a rod builder I can't emphasize enough that you get what you pay for. They work fine, just double check strength in the cork.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

I've used several of the Tennesse Spins, and almost every one required a zip tie to keep them snug.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb JackOAT .......

Quote Originally Posted by JackOfAllTrades
    I'm buying a new crappie outfit and found the setup that I think I want to go with. It's either a Pflueger underspin 1806 or the 4410u (haven't decided which one will be the best suitable for my adventures). The rod I want for this reel is an Eagle Claw Featherlight 7'6" with the sliding reel seats, I wanted something alittle bigger than ultralight. This will be my first experience with sliding reel seats so I'm kinda worried about the reliability of these things.
    Will they hang-on to the reel pretty good (tight) or will they eventually work loose? It seems to me they would probably scar up the cork handle, which would lead to the reel never being held good enough.
    I e-mailed Cabela's and asked them about it and they say their fine and should not cause any problems and that they've never had any complaints on them. But get this, they said that some people use tie-straps to hold them tighter or to keep them from coming loose, I'm not going with this if I have to resort to tie-straps.
    Anybody have any experiences with these things?

I have had "limited" experience with sliding reel seat rings ... only have 2 rods with them, both of which are Mitchell Zero Gravity Carbon rods.
    I have to say, I don't (didn't) trust them, to be secure enough by themselves ... which is why I used electrical tape, to secure them to the handle. Not only does the tape hold the reel securely to the handle, but it also makes for a more comfortable grip. I don't think I'd ever resort to "tie-straps", for that very reason ... they wouldn't be very comfortable to hold onto, left exposed.
    As to reliability ... even the screw down type handles will/can work loose, with use/over time. I doubt just forcing the sliding rings over the reel's feet, will remain secure for any extended period of time. That's why I even secure some of my screw-down reel seat rods, with electrical tape. Not only for the security, but for comfort, as well.

........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, except I use atheletic "sports tape". You can find it at WalMart in sporting goods. It's the cloth tape with adhesive......not the thin foam tape that's used on tennis rackets. I've got some of the older B&M poles that have the rings on the foam handle that I cherish. The reels are on the very butt end, and I just build up a good cushion grip around both rings with the tape once it's in place. It's not that hard to peel off if needed.......yet holds for years.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

I think the original Tennessee grips had no sliding rings but used tape by itself. Billy westmorland always used them. I love the sliding rings because you can put the reel at the very rear of the grip. I even take them off broken rods and put them on the b/m rods (and others) that come with a fixed seat. Electrical tape finishes the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast