Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rathbun

kent Guest

Default Rathbun

Hey All,
    This is a pretty cool site. First time here. I was thinking about going down to Rathbun next weekend (18th - 20th). Has anyone been down there yet? If so, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
    Kent

Post Thanks / Like

Alot of water down there right now.As of this morning the lake is right at 10 ffot above normal pool.You probably wont get alot of info right now, because CrappieMaster is also on the weekend you're talking about going, if you already didnt know that.Should be a good bite if the weather will hold.Good luck and I'll see you down there.PJ

kent Guest

prchjerker,
    Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it. Is the CrappieMaster a pretty big tourny? With the water high, is that better for fishing in that lake?

Thanks again,
    Kent

Post Thanks / Like

It usually draws a pretty good crowd.Over the years Ive seeen as many a 520 teams(1990), but the last few years we'll average 60 to 100 teams.With the water being 4 feet low for the last 4 years, there is alot of cover in the water now that the water is 10 feet above normal.Should be a good year for spawning if they dont start dropping it during the spawn.PJ

Post Thanks / Like

This is the time to fish Rathbun. The lake is 11K acres normal pool so it is probably around 15K now with an additional 10' of water to spread out!!! You won't have to worry about being crowded. I have been going for many years now and will be there this coming weekend. Hoping to get into some nice slabs. I would bring along a couple of long rods (dabbling) for dropping some jigs into the brush that should now be submerged. Those females should be up in there trying to do their thing. The water temps are coming up pretty quick too. I heard that the surface is 71 today. Like perchjecker said, this could be a good spawn unless they drop the lake levels to quickly.
    Good luck and maybe we will see you there (red lund grand sport)

Post Thanks / Like

Leave it to the Corps.They letting it go at 800CFS.Lake was 914.36 this morning she down 913.92.That'll make it hard on the males trying to nest.

Post Thanks / Like

My Father in law is headed to Rathbun on Tuesday the 22nd after the crowds leave from crappiemasters. Have the females moved in yet? It looks like they may be holding the lake at 913. What do ya think. Details please !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Actually believe it or not there are alot of spawned out fish already.Seems the full moon a couple weeks ago and a couple hot days alot of fish spawned.There are millions of lil fry in the backs of all the coves.Weights at the tournament where way down and alot of people including myself really struggled to find any fish shallow.A few did have some fish start to move back in on Saturday, but its the strangest Ive seen in over 20 years of fishing this lake.It really left me talking to myself on Saturday.Itll be interesting to see if we get another push of shallow fish.PJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prchjerker
    Actually believe it or not there are alot of spawned out fish already.Seems the full moon a couple weeks ago and a couple hot days alot of fish spawned.There are millions of lil fry in the backs of all the coves.Weights at the tournament where way down and alot of people including myself really struggled to find any fish shallow.A few did have some fish start to move back in on Saturday, but its the strangest Ive seen in over 20 years of fishing this lake.It really left me talking to myself on Saturday.Itll be interesting to see if we get another push of shallow fish.PJ
    Thanks for the reply Prch. Father in Law came back yesterday with a few shorts. He is going back after the Holiday to try it again. Its been tuff here in Missouri all spring. Warm, cold, rain, the spawn never really came on and they seem to be in a post spawn or really summer pattern now. Ill let you know how he did next week.