Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Predators hunting the crappies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Predators hunting the crappies

Finally got out yesterday to a small lake , ice has been out for about a week and a half. Found the crappies down deep and the northerns were hunting them like a pack of wolves. I brought home about 10 crappies , all but one were pretty small... so no pics but a good first fresh feed.I do have pics of the predators and one of my depth finder that shows the crappies ....they are hugging the bottom and the larger targets are over top (northerns).
    Very seldom did I catch a crappie that did not get chased to the boat by the predators.
    The northers (pike) were bound and determined to tear my light equipment apart...lost about a ½ dozen jigs. I keep one of them and filleted them up also...just to be a warning to the others.
    http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...512card025.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...512card014.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...512card001.jpg

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting post. At least you got a few.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siscoken
    The northers (pike) were bound and determined to tear my light equipment apart...lost about a ½ dozen jigs.
    Thats why I call them Northern Pike "Thieves"

Post Thanks / Like

siscohen, You can clean your screen on your Eagle graph with a cotton cloth and a mixture of 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% water. Works better than glass cleaner. That's what they use at Lowrance. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by REDBOAT
    Thats why I call them Northern Pike "Thieves"
    We call them snot rockets or slimmers or rough fish pickerel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siscoken
    The northers (pike) were bound and determined to tear my light equipment apart...lost about a ½ dozen jigs. I keep one of them and filleted them up also...just to be a warning to the others.
    You filleted up a Northern as a warning to the otheres.... Quick question: have you actually come up with a way to fillet northerns so you remove those nasty Y bones?

If you you have, I'm very interested to learn it. Pike is tasty, but since I don't want to deal with bones when eating, I almost never keep 'em.

Good looking toothy-fish, by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

We have the same trouble with muskies here, but its more rare and the northerns are more aggressive. Northerns are taking over Quaker lake at Allegheny state park though they have tried hard not to let them. I see more people fishing there for northerns now than trout.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4
    You filleted up a Northern as a warning to the otheres.... Quick question: have you actually come up with a way to fillet northerns so you remove those nasty Y bones?

If you you have, I'm very interested to learn it. Pike is tasty, but since I don't want to deal with bones when eating, I almost never keep 'em.

Good looking toothy-fish, by the way.
    Yes I do fillet out the y bones and it is not that hard but I think it would be very hard to discribe ...it is much easier to show .
    I could video tape it sometime ...that would be the easiest
    I am sure there are other fishermen on the board that do the that may be better at explaining it than myself.
    I only usually keep a couple in the spring .... once they start prowling
    the warmer bays the meat seems to take on a different taste.
    But like you said fresh out of the cold water they are very good.
    Ken
    just a thought .. you may want to try just cutting a cross
    section from a nothern fillet .... once you see how the y bone is situated in the fillet you can probably figure out how to cut them out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ
    We have the same trouble with muskies here, but its more rare and the northerns are more aggressive. Northerns are taking over Quaker lake at Allegheny state park though they have tried hard not to let them. I see more people fishing there for northerns now than trout.
    I guided at great slave back in the late 70s and we used to boat for 1/2 hr to catch notherns for shore lunch so that we did not have to eat trout.
    I like trout but in moderation...if you have to eat it every day........well even the sea gulls start to look pretty tasty.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a pic of a monster I got while fishing crappie one day 5' lite rod 4lb line and a little blue and white tube on a jig. Can't remember how big he was, but about 1/2 hr to get him in.
    Ken

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...e015resize.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast