Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More fishing light information

Post Thanks / Like

Default More fishing light information

I read the earlier post where the different lights were discussed and wanted to give you some good information on the subject having completed some very detailed testing of colors for fishing lures and lights.

The main goal of useing artificial lights is to attract a food source which in turn brings the predatory fish that feed on them. In order to attract the bait fish one needs to bring them both food, and light to dine by. All light sources do this to a point, but certain wave lengths of light will penatrate water better than others and by that reason alone can bring more bait to it. Green wavelengths have good penatration in all water but not all wavelengths in the green spectrum work well at attracting the plankton that shad and minnows are looking for. Just because its green to you does not mean it is at all interesting to the plankton. The following is a picture of a test light source we use to determine the most atractive wavelength for plankton.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/IMG_1546.jpg

With this light we can vary the wavelength of light output within a few nanometers. In the sweet spot the plankton in the photo swarm the light. Only 5 nanometers either side and less than 1/1000th of them will even come close to it. If you place a floating white light beside it then turn the green off the same result occurs, with almost all plankton sinking out of sight right away. This light design is in for patents currently and we are hopeing for a price reduction on the lighting element in order to make it affordable to fishermen. We have tested it against ALL other fishing lights we can find. One came close to the correct wavelength but all others were not and only designed to catch fishermen with thier hype.

Video comparisons will be on the web site in coming weeks as we update it.

Cheers....

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is some serious info. Thank you very much Cholla Jigz
    I really did not know what the exact idea was behind the light color but no i see. I cant wait to see the other info and pics. That has helped alot.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...can't believe I ever catch any fish at all...
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    Wow...can't believe I ever catch any fish at all...
    I will have to go with the pictures of yours and rangos fish over pictures of lights - I ain't ever sunk a boat because we caught so many - but me and ole ncnat usually get fish slime on the boat when we go out - we argue about the color of the lights - but if it wasn't that we would argue about something else - Kunes I guess we just ain't educated enuff - maybe we will learn someday
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Plankton??? Sorry, I don't buy that one. Everything I've ever read about plankton says they just drift wherever they go. They don't swim. In fact the word plankton comes from the greek word planktos which means drifting.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

In total they do drift with the current. Most freshwater species can also swim, and do toward a light source they can use for energy or to feed by. I didn't post the information to get anyone riled up or to say no one on the site can catch fish under other lights. Of course they can, and will due to the fact that ALL sources of light will draw some fish. I simply posted results of why certain wavelengths of light have been known to do a better job of it.
    Sorry to have ruffled any feathers and I'll think twice prior to trying to improve your odds in the future.
    Good luck out there.

Post Thanks / Like

photoplankton drift they are just plants. zoo plankton will move to the light and up and down in the water colum to avoid preditors and to find food. in the oceans were there are much stronger tides they can not fight against the current and will drift.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Cholla Jigs
    In total they do drift with the current. Most freshwater species can also swim, and do toward a light source they can use for energy or to feed by. I didn't post the information to get anyone riled up or to say no one on the site can catch fish under other lights. Of course they can, and will due to the fact that ALL sources of light will draw some fish. I simply posted results of why certain wavelengths of light have been known to do a better job of it.
    Sorry to have ruffled any feathers and I'll think twice prior to trying to improve your odds in the future.
    Good luck out there.
    Whoa there JCJ, I am definitely not riled up and if I came across that way I apologize. After I posted that, I got to thinking that maybe they can control their depth and that just got me to wondering more (bad habit). I'm always ready to try something new that might help me catch that new world record. Life is too short to go thru it with ruffled feathers, so please keep your info coming.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

From the sarcasm at my post it seemed that the information I offered was not taken well. If that is not the case, then I apoligize for being short in my last post.
    My partners and I grew up fishing crappie in Indiana and Michigan. We now have the luxury of fishing one of the best lakes for them in the country and are costantly looking for serious way's to improve our catches as well as help out others to do the same. The things we do to do so are not voodoo or guess work. While we do sell some products, that is not all we are about. We truly love the sport and wish to help others improve thier catch rates also.
    I have a wealth of information to share as do all of you and I would like to continue to contribute where I can.
    Peace...

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

just drop a little stone ground cornmeal in to feed the baitfish and some oatmeal flakes to attract by reflecting the light. I use 2 green lights and a floating white light. I get so many baitfish swirling under my boat it scares me. They could just suck me down into the vortex. solid fish.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast