PDA

View Full Version : Sorry but another tying question

FisherMike
05-08-2007, 04:58 PM
As far as hair goes or marabou goes. Whats the consensus as to which to use?
I've been tying marabou with a little deer tail but think I'd be better off with just marabou.
If you don't use marabou, then whats your choice?
I have to put in an order and that's why I'm asking.

Oh yes
Skip would you post that pic again of your favorite jigs?

Thanks

smoothlures
05-08-2007, 05:22 PM
I really like deer hair, but will be moving to kiptails. You don't waste as much with smaller jigs and it has good action. Marabou's ok, but I'd rather have hair. It just looks better and is easier to handle, IMO.

Mo'nBack
05-08-2007, 05:34 PM
I like kiptails, but if you want them, you'd better order alot of them now if you can find them cause p.e.t.a. is having all of kiptail manufactoring and selling done away with.

Crappie Reaper
05-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Marabou has more action in the water, a bit harder to handle while tying than hair, but worth it to me.

willsjwills
05-08-2007, 05:57 PM
started using deer tails when i was a kid and still use them. I go to deer processing places in the fall and collect'em up, bring'em home, skin'em out, dry'em,. and dye'em. haven't seen anything that will out do'em. use maraboo for multicolors sometimes with the deer hair, but never make strictly maraboo jigs. spice that deer with flashaboo for some extra kick.

backtocrappie
05-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Deer hair is a fairly rigid hollow tube that denies the marabou from doing what it does best. Deer hair flare out when wrapped the harder it's spun down the more it flares. Bad choice for mixing with life like materials like marabou.

Save your bambi fur for bass bugs and muddlers

willsjwills
05-08-2007, 06:23 PM
northern deer hair is hollow. southern deer hair is not hollow. looks like kip hair. northern hair is hollow to hold body heat better. deer in the south don't need it.

skiptomylu
05-08-2007, 07:04 PM
My opinion is the marabou or hackle feathers is best bar none! Try both.

I tie some deer hair, but it's not high on my list.

Sandwich Maker
05-08-2007, 07:40 PM
How you liking the tying Mike? Addicting isn't it?

shipahoy41
05-09-2007, 04:56 AM
I love to use either Marabou or squirrel with a flash of mylar and a few kip tail hairs. Less is more. Keep in mind that a great looking jig also includes a neat wrap. Seal the wrap with head cement or do like Skip does and add a glob of glow in the dark mixture.

old ship:cool:

FisherMike
05-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks guys.
But I still haven't found out what a 'kip' is.

Sandwich Maker,
I'm really enjoying tying the jigs. With my stress level I need something to distract me. I just wish I'd started last winter. Before the fishing season started.

skiptomylu
05-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks guys.
But I still haven't found out what a 'kip' is.

Sandwich Maker,
I'm really enjoying tying the jigs. With my stress level I need something to distract me. I just wish I'd started last winter. Before the fishing season started.

It's a calf tail

DC Crappie Kid
05-09-2007, 12:48 PM
I use bucktail/kiptail 'cause it's easier to tie with than marabou. But when I get to the water, I rarely use the hair jigs. Marabou is somewhat more difficult to tie with, but it's worth it. And if you wet it down before tying, it's no more difficult than tying on a piece of chenille.

smoothlures
05-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I use bucktail/kiptail 'cause it's easier to tie with than marabou. But when I get to the water, I rarely use the hair jigs. Marabou is somewhat more difficult to tie with, but it's worth it. And if you wet it down before tying, it's no more difficult than tying on a piece of chenille.
Exactly. Just dampen it with your fingers and voila. That works with flashy material, too.

Buffy
05-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Ok, I found all (or most) of my husbands tying stuff. I'm gonna give it a shot. has anybody ever used horse hair? Just curious, I have that by the bucketfull.
You guys make such nice looking stuff it has inspired me.

smoothlures
05-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Ok, I found all (or most) of my husbands tying stuff. I'm gonna give it a shot. has anybody ever used horse hair? Just curious, I have that by the bucketfull.
Never heard of using horse hair, but good luck! This is a great group to help you out with any questions you may have.

FisherMike
05-09-2007, 02:22 PM

They inspired me too Buffy. This is really fun tying.

Problem is,,,,, now they want to sell me a Bait Pump.:D

crappiekeith
05-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm into kip tails as you do not need much hair to get good coverage and for me trying to stay very small deer gets way to big.
Summer fishing deer would be alright but come winter when I need to do tiny stuff I'd have a hard time tying deer on 100 oz jigs with size 12 hooks.
The kip will lay down nicely when wet too.

Buffy
05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
So kip tail is calf as in moo moo calf, not elk calf or anything? If I just wander up to one at the farm with a pair of sciscors, I could just snip snip? Or is their a special method to getting it? Like does it come 'attached?'
sorry if this is a stupid question.

smoothlures
05-09-2007, 02:52 PM
So kip tail is calf as in moo moo calf, not elk calf or anything? If I just wander up to one at the farm with a pair of sciscors, I could just snip snip? Or is their a special method to getting it? Like does it come 'attached?'
sorry if this is a stupid question.
Yes it's a 'moo moo' calf.
You can get them here.
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fly-tying-fur-tails/610100.aspx

crappiekeith
05-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Buffy ,you'll need to get a tail then pinch off a small wad and cut it then holding the tuft of hair you'll lay it on the hook and start to make your raps.
Having loose hair does not work.
You can go to www.jannsnetcraft.com to see kiptails. or cabelas.com

FisherMike
05-09-2007, 04:32 PM
While were on the subject of marabou and kip and such.
I looked on the Barlow's site for blue marabou? I want to mimic shiners and use blue for the back.
Does anyone know of the correct color and which feathers I'm supposed to or should use?
You know,,, the site isn't exactly novice friendly. They don't even mention marabou. That's all I know about besides buck tail.

willsjwills
05-09-2007, 04:41 PM
While were on the subject of marabou and kip and such.
I looked on the Barlow's site for blue marabou? I want to mimic shiners and use blue for the back.
Does anyone know of the correct color and which feathers I'm supposed to or should use?
You know,,, the site isn't exactly novice friendly. They don't even mention marabou. That's all I know about besides buck tail.
how about going to wal-mart to the arts and crafts dept. and buying the bag of feathers for $1.99 and picking out the colors you want. maraboo feathers are not that hard to find. I have mardi-gras costumes that are loaded with'em.

Buffy
05-09-2007, 04:48 PM
I've never seen calves those colors!!:rolleyes: Ours are mostly brown.
Sometimes I can be pretty silly, but thanks for the info, and being nice about it.
The cats are seriously interested, great.

FisherMike
05-09-2007, 04:57 PM
how about going to wal-mart to the arts and crafts dept. and buying the bag of feathers for $1.99 and picking out the colors you want. maraboo feathers are not that hard to find. I have mardi-gras costumes that are loaded with'em.

Really!!!
My wife has been into arts and crafts for a very long time.
She's the one that said Joe Ann's (where she works) or Hobby Lobby (that has none ) or any of the other hobby stores around. This even includes the bait and tackle shops in the area.
As a matter of fact. I just came back from the sport fishing show at the Grand Plaza in Grand Rapids Mi. and there was only one, I repeat, one booth I say for any type of tying material. Huh,, go figure.

Thank you Willis for the tip. I believe you may have fixed one of the dilemmas.
I just wonder about them being permanent colors.

Species
05-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Hobby Lobby has some decent stuff, problem is, some of it isn't near the fabric area. You kinda have to dink around to find it. They also have alot of nice beads to make crawler harness rigs for cheap!

shipahoy41
05-10-2007, 04:49 AM
Buffy,

Check your email. I am sending info.

old ship:cool:

Buffy
05-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Well I have not made anything for fish yet, but one great cat toy. I confess I am a succker for those little paws. I can do my 'catfishing' in my side yard. Thanks everyone! It's all fun.

Sandwich Maker
05-10-2007, 05:55 PM
FisherMike
Barlows, Online Tackle Store, Goose Feathers, Marabou.......Bingo

shipahoy41
05-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Would you care to share some dying tips? I am sure there are others like me who are curious.
Thanks.

old ship

willsjwills
05-11-2007, 07:01 PM
you can also dye with Kool Aid and Jello. Google for web sites.

shipahoy41
05-12-2007, 06:10 AM
I never heard of this. Does it last and does it work? What is the website? Have you tried it? Rit really does not have a nice Chartreuse dye. I wonder if you mix berry koolaid with lemon or lime jello............. hmmmmm

Thanks.

old ship

willsjwills
05-12-2007, 02:41 PM
lime makes a nice green chartruse. add yellow to lime to make yellow chart. go to google and look up "dyeing with Kool Aid". there are several links. also look at "dyeing with jello". the colors stay in the hair just as good as Rit, but like Rit, it is not ultraviolet protected, so that means that sun light will make it fade if left in the sun . a lot cheaper than rit, also. mix colors to make what you want. good luck.:) :)

Buffy
05-13-2007, 10:58 AM
I wonder if fish prefer the taste of jello and kool aid over Rit? Having just caught a bream on a cheeto, makes you wonder.

FisherMike
05-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks Sandwich Maker.
My wife picked me up some marabou at Wally World.
It's kind of stiff but I think it will work ok.
Also, I put a piece in a glass of water and left it overnight. It didn't fade or run at all. I guess it's fine.
Cheap too.

Prybis
05-13-2007, 08:58 PM
If you want to try making hair jigs, use cross cut rabbit strips. You can also use the straight cut but a little harder but it does give it more of a body. Rabbit hair jigs have more life so to say then any other hair jig. Maroboo has probably has the most life of all but can be a pain too work with.

Mike P.

shipahoy41
05-14-2007, 10:18 AM
I tried it and it's nice. Thanks.

old ship

willsjwills
05-14-2007, 07:57 PM
what can be less "life like" than a piece of plastic on your jig?:) :)

but they catch fish.:) :)