PDA

View Full Version : Improvised Anchors?

Team M&M
05-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Well,
I need 2 anchors and was thinking instead of spending $50 that I could improvise with stuff I have around the house. Heres what Im thinking.
I was gonna take 2 large coffee cans and fill them with quik crete concrete. As that starts to dry I would insert an eyebolt into the middle and after it is completely set, tie a rope to the loop on the eyebolt. Then just drop em over the side of the boat. I thought it might work, unless I was fishing in a strong current.
Any better ideas or flaws in my plan?

slabinator
05-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Your home made anchor should work fine in lakes without much current. Lakes with current or rivers will require something that will bite into the bottom.

Buffy
05-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Might want to use a threaded rod, drill or punch a hole in the bottom of the can and bolt it. We came back with just the eyebolt. Ooops. Probably had a pocket of air we didn't get out. After we used the threaded rod no more problems, but we were also in a 2 man (person) kayak, so not that much weight.

joejv4
05-07-2007, 09:07 AM
I do mostly small lake and pond fishing - the coffee can with concrete is what I use and it works great. Instead of an eye bolt, I had some metal 3/8" metal rods that I bent into an "S" shape, pushed it into the concrete far enough so there was just a loop sticking out of the top.

One other thing... for less clanging and banging, and less dents in my aluminum row boat, I like those new plastic Folger's cans for anchors. They've got rounded edges and are quieter when you pull up and set 'em in the bottom of the boat. On top of that - they don't get rusty.

semocrappie
05-07-2007, 09:08 AM
My dad has always worked construction and throughout the years has accumulated a large pile of window weights from remodeling jobs, they range in weight from 2.5 lb to 6lb, we've used them for years, sometimes multiples on one rope for 12 and 14 john boats.

CatFan
05-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Put a nut and washer on the eye-bolt to keep it from pulling out.

Buffy
05-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Plastic is so much quieter. I was amazed.
Wow, you make bending rods sound so easy!

SweetHomeAlabama
05-07-2007, 09:47 AM
I use worn-out rotors from old cars. Just rememebr to paint them so the rust won't get in your boat.

NIMROD
05-07-2007, 09:49 AM
My dad has always worked construction and throughout the years has accumulated a large pile of window weights from remodeling jobs, they range in weight from 2.5 lb to 6lb, we've used them for years, sometimes multiples on one rope for 12 and 14 john boats.
We have used window weights. Also so old railroaders used to bring old locomotive break shoes. They were curved and had a place to tie . Them things really held good in our muddy bottom at Nimrod. :cool:

stinkies daddy
05-07-2007, 10:06 AM
I got 2 #25 plates the kind that you lift on a weight bar for pumping iron. those dudes hit the bottom and stick i tell you what

joejv4
05-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Plastic is so much quieter. I was amazed.
Wow, you make bending rods sound so easy!

Put it in a vise and PULLLLL!!! Bends every time :)

joejv4
05-07-2007, 10:17 AM

Same here - my grandpa was in construction and we used window weights sometimes. Other things he let us have for anchors over the years included the head off a 15 lb sledge hammer and a 6" long piece of a railroad rail with a loop made of bent rebar welded on top to tie on to. That piece of rail was HEAVY and put plenty of dents in the boat, but when it was in the water, it never dragged an inch.

My coffee can anchors are doing the job for me now.

Buffy
05-07-2007, 10:21 AM
So THATS what that vice is for! I thought it was just to whack my elbow on every time I go past it. This forum is the greatest, learn somethng every time.

J White
05-07-2007, 10:55 AM
I made a pair of coffee can anchors many moons ago :)
they are still around the house somewhere.
I used pieces of chain about 6-8" long to tie to, left a link and
a half sticking out, rest is buried in the quikcrete.
They worked pretty good!

freeflow_23
05-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Four bricks with holes in them. Sit them into a small cube. Run a piece of heavy rope through the top holes and tie a loop knot in the top. Nice and heavy and fits perfectly in a 5 gal. bucket along with your anchor line.

I'll second the brake rotor or plate weights also. That flat stuff really holds the bottom well.

Barnacle Bill
05-07-2007, 11:20 AM
I used to make my own wreck anchors our of re-bar. But I had my own welder then plus I no longer have a salt water boat.

sccamper
05-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I use 2 coffee can anchors for my 14' jon. Has worked fine for me. Havnt been achored up in wind or heavy chop, dont know how it would do then.

Used to night stalk for striper in a buddies pontoon, he used 2 dually truck front rotors. 1 for front and 1 back. They worked great until it was time to go, small catch had to retrieve. 100-150 foot of rope each.

Billy2
05-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Well,
I need 2 anchors and was thinking instead of spending $50 that I could improvise with stuff I have around the house. Heres what Im thinking.
I was gonna take 2 large coffee cans and fill them with quik crete concrete. As that starts to dry I would insert an eyebolt into the middle and after it is completely set, tie a rope to the loop on the eyebolt. Then just drop em over the side of the boat. I thought it might work, unless I was fishing in a strong current.
Any better ideas or flaws in my plan?

I like your idea, but this suggestion will make it even better.
Cut a 2" slot in each coffee can from top to bottom. Fit them where each
slot matches the other. Fill both cans with the quickcrete, after this sets
a little, place your eyebolt into the cans with one leg of eyebolt in each can.
I would make an "L" shape of eyebolt to prevent it pulling out. I think this
anchor would hold your boat.

bowdenja
05-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Did the Coke can and lead for a long time............. you could go to the 16 oz Bud cans for more weight.:D

superdave1984
05-08-2007, 09:45 AM
I used an old water pump off a big Ford motor for a while. Hey it was handy and I needed an anchor. It is at the bottom of the lake somewhere though. Cheap rope.

ShortStorie
05-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Used a 3# coffee can, eyebolt and concrete...Lasted for years. Would try the new plastic containers as they don't rust. Can fill a bleach bottle with sand or just run the rope through half a concrete block... Won't slide but drags up lots of mud.

sac-a-lait
05-09-2007, 01:32 AM
I make all of mine out of old SEMI tire weights. Not the small kind of tires but the BIG BOYZ...Some weigh as much as 16 oz for ONE!!! I attached a pic of the metal bowl I pour the molten lead into. Once harden, I turn it over and there's my anchor. I bet it weighs 50-60 pounds if you fill it up too much. I would figure they would cost me about $40 each retail. I paint them black and pour liquid rubber on the bottom (the kind of stuff when it hardens is like the plastic handles on a pair of plyers.

Buffy
05-09-2007, 06:25 AM
I make all of mine out of old SEMI tire weights. Not the small kind of tires but the BIG BOYZ...Some weigh as much as 16 oz for ONE!!! I attached a pic of the metal bowl I pour the molten lead into. Once harden, I turn it over and there's my anchor. I bet it weighs 50-60 pounds if you fill it up too much. I would figure they would cost me about $40 each retail. I paint them black and pour liquid rubber on the bottom (the kind of stuff when it hardens is like the plastic handles on a pair of plyers.

That's more than my boat weighs!! I fish out of my kayak mostly. I'm not sure I want to know how you melt that much lead. :eek:
Happy fishing!!

sccamper
05-09-2007, 08:42 AM
I used a 1 1/2" diam glavanized pipe, 22" long; drilled thru it 7-8" down and inserted a bolt with a chain loop. Then filled it with melted car wheel weights. It ended up at 42lbs. I havent used it yet.

crappiefarmer
05-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Got a small 2 to 3 gallon bucket and filled with quickcrete. Then put a U bolt in it as it set up with nuts on each end. Made two that weigh 20 pounds a piece. CF

sac-a-lait
05-09-2007, 03:56 PM
oh ok...I see. My boat weighs like 1,000 pounds so I need so weight down there to hold it steady. When I make an anchor, I take about a 3 gal bucket with about 50 of those SEMI tire weights and pour them into a cast iron pot, heat, remove scraps, pour into bowl and let cool, remove from bowl, paint and there you have it.

Jeremy0407
05-09-2007, 04:07 PM
I filled a 5 gallon bucket with 40 pounds of concrete and a treaded rod in it to tie to. Cut the top of the bucket off where the top of the concrete is even with the bucket. Left it in the bucket to protect the boat and to keep quiet. I have 17ft Nitro and it is the only anchor I have found that will hold it still in the wind and current. It's a pain pulling it up but I got to take the good with the bad I guess.

slabmaster09
05-09-2007, 05:57 PM
I to use a coffee can full of quickcrete.

creekslick
05-09-2007, 06:04 PM
You guys keep pulling up those heavy anchors you will be going to the doctor to get a zipper in your back like the one I just got.:eek:

ironbeer
05-09-2007, 06:10 PM
consider putting two 2-3' steel poles like rebar on the bottom of yer coffee can giving you 4 1' steel bars to help dig into the bottom more.

FalconSmitty
05-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Yall don't have a Parking Brake on your rig? Ya never need anchors. It coordinates with the GPS to secure you to your honey hole.. They are hard to find but I have a few left...call me at BR-549.. the first 25 callers get a free piece of rope.:)

3's
05-10-2007, 03:30 AM
All I can say is WOW!!! I can't imagine hoisting 40+ lbs of anchor every time I move. I have a 2072 and my main anchor weighs 8 lbs. It will hold in about any condition you encounter including the current in the Ohio river. The only place it lacks is in rocky bottoms. We don't have much of that here mainly muck and sand. Its all in the amout of line you play out. More = better hold. Once I get the front where I want I have a 10 triflut\ke river anchor I use to hold the back. A small fluke style anchor made to dig into the bottom will hold a pretty latge boat!

Now for the homemades from back in the day....... window weights, concrete blocks, chisel plow tines, and SS pump shaft with SS rod welded to it to help dig!!!

slab-happy
05-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Looks good sac-a-lait,.....I found one like that but not that heavy. 50 to 60 lbs would have to be a pain in the a** to pull every time you move. It should hold good and would give you a good work out ( save $$$ @ the gym). I made a couple steel anchors @ 20 bls each that hold a 18 ft. boat real good. Also a 36 lbs same type anchor for strong wind days. Tell me a little more about and how much cost for the rubber coating.

sac-a-lait
05-10-2007, 11:30 AM
I never use mine. I never anchor BUT when I do it's in current and I can promise you, there's not an 8 pound anchor out there that will hold my boat in current. The plastic stuff's like $10 a can and could cover 2-4 anchor bottoms. I use the 50 pounder up front in current then I have about a 25 pounder I use on the back. You can make them any weight you want just by controlling the amount of lead you put in. When I had a smaller boat I used to make 2 out of bread pans. Had a small loaf of lead and it would hold good.

Also, if you note the ROPE is a VERY large diameter. The larger the rope diameter the easier it is to pull something up.

rushcreekoutdoor
05-10-2007, 01:44 PM
I also just got a 20/72 and my old 12 lb mushroom would not hold it at all. I fish mostly reelfoot and the mud bottom needs a good heavy dead weight. You can't find really heavy anchors like that, so I made one and it is great.

I bought a 30 lb one piece dumbell from wal-mart for 17 dollars. I went to ace hdwe and bought a 1" hinged metal pipe repair wrap and bolted it centered on the handle then I drilled a hole in the middle of the pipe wrap. It is a great anchor at less than half the price of a store bought. This weekend, I am going to spray it down with rubberized undercoating.

rushcreekoutdoor

bttmline
05-10-2007, 01:56 PM
I use 2 very small but effective anchors. I took an eye boltand placed it in the middle of a campbell soup can and fill it with melted lead from my melting pot. Small but very heavy for it size.
Tim

EDDY CREEK BANDIT
05-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Do you guys remember seeing the screw on cap to 100 pound propane cylinders? I use two of those filled with lead, when dropped into a soft bottom they stick into it like a bullit. It will hold me almost every time. Hard bottoms are not so good. They are not very large and don't look to bad if you paint them to match your boat or carpet. Find the caps insert eye bolt and fill with scrap lead. Ready to go. THE BANDIT

DC Crappie Kid
05-10-2007, 03:00 PM
After reading all these ideas, I think I may have found a purpose for that big old cracked cast iron skillet...

bobberdown
05-10-2007, 04:11 PM
I once used a 1999 Ford F150, and the boat trailer. Worked great, The boat floated off the trailer and when the line off the reel on the trailer emptied and the truck finely stopped in 15 foot of water, (Flooded out in 4.5 foot) and I swam to the boat I could have fished in that hole of water in a hurricane and wouldn't moved.
The wrecker driver had a time pulling the mess from the lake. Insurance man did ask me if I was in need of an anchor. But the coffee can with some re-rod will work good.

slabmaster09
05-10-2007, 06:23 PM
BD are you saying that the winch was still hooked to your boat when the truck and trailer rolled back into the water lol. that would hold it pretty steady.

pstone
05-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Here is a question, where does everybody get there lead, and how much?

jlaughlin72
05-11-2007, 04:26 AM
Here is a question, where does everybody get there lead, and how much?
Most of your local tire shops usually have a bucket or something filled up with OLD weights they have taken off of tires. Some will re-use them but most don't. And if they are willing to get rid of them, you should be able to pick them up real cheap, they may even give them to you.

3's
05-11-2007, 04:59 AM
I never use mine. I never anchor BUT when I do it's in current and I can promise you, there's not an 8 pound anchor out there that will hold my boat in current. The plastic stuff's like $10 a can and could cover 2-4 anchor bottoms. I use the 50 pounder up front in current then I have about a 25 pounder I use on the back. You can make them any weight you want just by controlling the amount of lead you put in. When I had a smaller boat I used to make 2 out of bread pans. Had a small loaf of lead and it would hold good.

Also, if you note the ROPE is a VERY large diameter. The larger the rope diameter the easier it is to pull something up.

Not sure of what boat you have so I can't say but the digger type of anchors will hold much much better at a lower weight than some of the heavier anchors until you get into backbreaking weights.

I know i can be drifting with the current and toss the anchor out. When it takes hold you best hold on cuz the boat is stopping NOW!

I used a 4lb on my 16ft for years

DukeTech
05-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Check with your local utilities. They used to use lead pipe to run city water to houses. Today, they have to replace those old lead pipes anytime they find them. Also, the phone company used to install all their underground wiring encased in lead. Now they use plastic. This is good quality lead especially the phone company stuff. They have always given it to me.