Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Merc vs Yamaha, which one is best buy? Need answers fast!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Merc vs Yamaha, which one is best buy? Need answers fast!

My Mariner let me down this past weekend for the last time. Big problem is bottom carb, which contains high speed jet, continually gets clogged. No high speed when it happens. Honey has ok'ed me to get new engine, so I'm gonna get one this week. I am going from 40 to 60 HP no doubt. Need the extra power to haul my fat ass around (and a few others). Been checking things out. Looks like Merc 4 strokes are built by Yamaha. So what is the big difference? What is the Big Foot thing about? I know Brunswick (bowling ball people)owns Mercury, but I shutter at the thought as I had a 73 Harley Davidson made by AMF. It was a piece of junk with a big tag price. I like Mercs, Johnsons, Evinrudes. Had good luck with them. I am leaning toward the Merc, cause there are numerous dealers within 50 miles of where I live. The specs I have read on both Yama and Merc are very similar. Need input here.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tom:

Do you have an in-line fuel filter? Maybe that would help keep stuff out of your high speed jet.

I think I am going with a Suzuki Four Stroke on my new boat. They now have a 6-year warranty available and from asking around and what owners have posted on http://thehulltruth.com/category-view.asp they are very reliable motors.

Might want to check them out.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I sure like the yamaha's.I've had one since 85,My fishing partner has 2 of them a 40 & 90.
    I was unaware that yamaha makes Merc-.I know someone that is a dealer,I'll ask him the deal about Big Foot.>>>>Bentpole

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cp

Not sure what bigfoot thing your asking about. I know a guy who has what he calls a bigfoot and, all it is. A foot pedal mounted to the floor of his boat under his steering wheel to give the motor gas just like a car or truck.
    My bother has worked at a Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM, dealership for 14 years. So I guess I'm kind of bias. I also own a 2001 4 stroke Yamaha 25hp. It has been the best motor I have ever owned. Super quite and great on gas. Having the Merq dealers close to you might persuade you that way but, If you buy a Yamaha chances are you may never have it in the shop. Mine has ran like a champ since day one.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think "Bigfoot" is just a name for one of their motors. Like mine is an old "Black Max". Both Mercs.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Just get the cheaper one.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

just git a evinrude or johnson
    retired and now i will always fish

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default yep

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Hey Tom:

Do you have an in-line fuel filter? Maybe that would help keep stuff out of your high speed jet.

I think I am going with a Suzuki Four Stroke on my new boat. They now have a 6-year warranty available and from asking around and what owners have posted on http://thehulltruth.com/category-view.asp they are very reliable motors.

Might want to check them out.
    Have new filter. Just put it in last fall. All new gaskets, fuel pump diaphram, fuel line hose and bulb. Had tank pressurized for leaks. You name it. Just bad design on carb high speed jet. Others have had same trouble with this.
    Marinedoctor says about the same thing. Good motor, just agrivating to constantly work on carbs. I am lucky that I cand do this work Jerry. No Suzuki dealers around here. They make good motorcycles, I know that! Had one. Never broke down under my abuse. Looks like Merc made by Yamaha and Merc owned by Brunswick. Of all things, bawling ball motors...lol
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

If you get an Evinrude or a Johnson you won't need a dealer. If you get a Mercury you will need a dealer close by.

From another board:
    Any Merc 4 stroke from 70 (and perhaps lower) up that is NOT a Verado is a Yamaha "block". The rest of the outboard is Mercury unique.

Outboard motors do not wear out. They die from lack of maintenance. I know that doesn't fit you so whatever you buy will perform well.

Personally I hate the packages that are marketed now. I would not buy a boat
    that has a Mercury on it, used or new, but I know a lot of people that wouldn't own anything else. Personal preference and if you a comfortable with the dealer.

Luck on your purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the '03 merc 60hsp 4stroke tiller. Never had any problems so far in over 180 hours of use. The power head on this motor is not made by yamaha. I believe it was the much bigger blocks that yammy was involved with. Merc is presently working towards providing their own power heads for all their engines.
    I know owners of nearly every make of engine on the market and most will say they are satisfied with them, but at the same time you can always find someone who is dissatisfied for some reason. I don't think I could personally reccommend a motor to anyone just incase he ended up with a lemon. If I had the money right now, I'd be looking at the new Etec by Evinrude. I'm always interested to see if there is something better out there.
    That's just me though.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast