Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nightstalking light question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default nightstalking light question?

I have an Optronics Black Eye. It has a black light on bottom and a fluorescent on top. Should I face the fluorescent to the water and the black light facing up or face the black light down to water and white up?

It has suction cups which stick to the side of the boat. I am going to use a green light with white spotlight too. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

no one uses these lights?

Post Thanks / Like

you need to get you some lanterns if you're gonna fish for crappie at night.
    fighting for this country(it can't always be someone ELSE'S SON)
    keep on fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zwc32
    I have an Optronics Black Eye. It has a black light on bottom and a fluorescent on top. Should I face the fluorescent to the water and the black light facing up or face the black light down to water and white up?

It has suction cups which stick to the side of the boat. I am going to use a green light with white spotlight too. Thanks
    Post this on the S.C. board. They do a lot of night fishing and can tell you what to do. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

The black light is used to make your line show up. You can see a bite with it. If your a line watcher.
    I think mine is made by Keith Black.
    Pete

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb zwc32 .....(my $0.02)

Quote Originally Posted by zwc32

The "black" light isn't going to help matters much .... with all those other lights shining on your poles. Really, about all it will do, depends on what line you're using ... and if you're using fluorescent painted rod tips or floats. Other than that ... the other lights will overcome the effects of the blacklight, rendering it unnecessary to useless.
    Best suggestion I can give, if you intend to use it, is to point the white light down - black light up ... esp. if using fluorescent line. If you're going to use the green light, as well ..... put one on one end of the boat, and the other at the other end (or even, one on one side, and the other on the opposite side). I'd leave the "spotlight" out of it, until/unless it became necessary. If it has any power at all, it's likely to wash out the blacklight effect ... in which case, I'd either turn the blacklight off, or put the whole Optronics unit away.

Water clarity may affect the amount of light needed. I've always fished moderately stained water (greenish in color) ... where a minnow or jig would disappear from site, in the first 2ft of depth (or less). I've fished with a one burner Coleman lantern, at other times with a two burner Coleman lantern, a headlight in a styrofoam shield, and even with just a Blacklight/variable intensity white light setup. I've caught Crappie from under each of these ... when they were the only (single) light source used. I've also caught Crappie from around docks with those big honkin halogen lights, hanging off the side of the dock & pointed towards the water ... but, all Crappie came from the dark, shaded area, around the dock, and not from the well lighted area. Could be because the Shad, that the dock lights bring in, also bring in some large Hybrid Stripers ... but, could also be because the Crappie seem to like shaded/dark ambush areas, anyway.
    My "nightstalking" experience is limited, at best, and somewhat dated ... but, when I did go Crappie fishing at night, one light source was enough (centered on one side of the boat) for all three people fishing. Where I was fishing, and what I was fishing around, was of greater concern to me ... than having thousands of candlepower of illumination. I know ... that flies in the face of most of our resident nightstalker members ... but, it worked for me, at those times and places :D

.......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys thanks for the replies..

Post Thanks / Like

This is the first I've heard of this kind of light so sorry I can't help you but I'll tell you there is nothing better than the flounder gigging light!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a dedicated night fisherman. I use a green light in the water on each end of the boat. I tried the black light you mentioned....even with flourescent blue line, the line did NOT get lit up by the black light. I'm guessing the 6 lb test was too thin a diameter. those black lights are made for 14 lb test and bass plugs. It stays on the shelf in the garage now.

I recently bought two 12V compact flourescent bulbs, 11W each, 60 watt brightness, from a RV store, and put them in clamp on desk light fixtures. I clamp one to the windshield and one to the anchor light pole, both lighting up the interior of the boat and the rods. They draw hardly any juice and the batteries are fine after a night of fishing. The more light on the rods the better, as the nite bites are sometimes real soft. in my opinion, I have perfected the lighting situation for my boat, with no hazards involved using lanterns.

Post Thanks / Like

here's a site with a bunch of information about night fishing with lights. Sure they sell lights too, but I like their site for the info (tips, articles, how it works, color choices, anchoring and setup). When I finally get around to actually buying fishing lights, I'll buy their lights because they're reasonably priced, they're bright (halogen), and best of all they have replaceable bulbs - and they even tell you what to get at the auto parts store for replacements. To me, it seems these guys are running a business, but want their product to turn fellow anglers happy customers - the kind of company I like to do business with.

http://fishinglightsetc.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast