Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Crappie Fisherman

stubbychester Guest

Default Beginner Crappie Fisherman

Our friend has a 3 acre pond that I fish, I am a beginner fisherman and have caught crappie out of this pond last year. When is it a good time to begin fishing this year. I know any time is a good time, but I would like to catch some crappie. Should I worry about water temperature? I usually fish from shore but do have access to a rowboat. Any tips and advise would really be apreciated. The pond is located in southeastern Kentucky. When do crappie spawn? Thanks

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Chester ....

I hope your friend wants you to succeed in taking quite a few Crappie out of that pond. That's a pretty small body of water to have Crappie in. Most DNR guys will tell you that a "pond" of less than 50 acres is probably not big enough to support a population of Crappie, successfully, unless they are preyed upon heavily by another species. They spawn large numbers and eventually will overpopulate the smaller waters - then eat themselves out of house & home - and become stunted & thin. So, to help thin out the population and keep that from happening ... don't wait for "the spawn" - get after them BEFORE they can spawn.
    In 3 acres, they don't have far to roam ... nor do they have many places to hide. As long as the water isn't frozen over, a minnow/float - minnow/jig - jig/float - Crappie jig (hair/feather/marabou) - or jighead/plastic body should get you some hits. As long as the water temps are below 50deg ... fish slow and in the deeper portion of the pond. Once the water temps get back above 50deg, they should become more active and shallower. Then they will start their pre-spawn "feeding" ... but cold spells will push them back deep, if only for a short while. Once the temps get above 55deg, the males should start checking out spawning spots, while the females stay out deeper and develop their eggs. When the water temps get around 60deg, the females should start making short visits to the nesting sites. And between 60 & 65deg, the spawn should be in full swing. Now - these temps are not exact ... they can vary by a few degrees +/- ... and you have to factor in the weather, water color & condition, and available spawning cover. It also depends on which species of Crappie are in this pond. Black Crappie prefer cool, clear water and weeds ... White Crappie prefer warm, murky water and wood. But, either will adapt to whatever conditions the pond holds for them.
    These are just "my" opinions ... hopefully some of the "pond" anglers on the board will chime in with theirs. I don't pond fish ... so my "opinions" may be skewed more towards small lakes.
    And Welcome aboard Crappie.com !! ...............luck2ya ........cp

stubbychester Guest

Thanks Crappiepappy, I do have full permission to fish as often as I like. I will relay your reply to the owner about crappies in the pond. The pond is also stocked with largemouth bass, blue gill, catfish and a couple of grass carp. The pond was made and stocked about 5-6 years ago and is fed by three springs. You can always catch a catfish and I usually do but dont spend much time for cats cuz I dont really enjoy skinning them. But the blue gill and crappie are easy to clean and dress. Im not sure what the lures are that you speak of, but I will look at the local walmart for them.. I usually just use redworms. Can you tell me what a jig is..I think I know, like I said, Im a beginner. Could you recommend a website where I could see what jigs are?
    Thanks for all the info. I'll get to fishing as soon as I can, its been windy lately. again, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default stubb

Just a thought, why skin those cats when you can fillet them?
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

stubbychester Guest

I do filet the cats, they sure look funny with the filets off and body in tact. But you still have to remove the skin. If you know a better way, please tell me and perhaps I can have more catfish in the freezer. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default I skin 'em first, too

I don't lose any meat that way and my method is pretty fast and easy: Use a vise grips to hold the catfish's mouth onto your cleaning table. Make a cut just through the skin right behind the skull and down both sides. Use a pair of skinning pliers (about $3.00 at WalMart) to pull off the skin. I can usually get all the skin in two or three pulls. Filet. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up No problem Chester ...

A "jighead" is a hook with a lead head of various shapes and weights.

A "jig" is a jighead with some form of "body" added. The "body" could be feathers, hair, artificial material, plastics, etc.

The jigheads normally have one hook ... but, some have 2 or 3.

The weights that are most commonly used seem to be 1/32oz & 1/16oz.

Jigheads come with an exposed hook, and some are "weedless".

Weedless jigheads may have a single wire, multiple strands of wire, wire loop, or heavy fibers coming out of the top of the lead head ... and extending slightly past the point of the hook (or, in the case of the wire loop, meant to catch under the hook point). The purpose is to allow the jig to slide over a limb, thru weeds, or other obstructions, and keep the hook point from sticking into any of those obstructions.

The plastic "bodies", that you can put on a "jighead", range in size from 1" to 3" or more. They're known as "tubes", "grubs", "curly tails", and various other names. The most commonly used sizes seem to be 1.5" & 2".

There are several board members that "make" jigs/jigheads/jig bodies ... and several commercial brands that are very good. You can buy the jigheads & bodies seperately or in "kits" of multiple size/weight jigheads and various styles & colors of "bodies".

BassProShops, Cabela's, Wal-Mart, and such will have many to look over. CrappieMagic.com, P&S Tackle, Southern Pro, Culprit, Bass Assassin (panfish assassin version), Blakemore (Roadrunners), Charlie Brewer Sliders, and Oldham's Surelock Weedless Crappie Jigheads are a few others that carry jigheads - bodies - both - or kits.

Here's a link that describes several of the "type" of jigs/jigheads that I've mentioned. http://www.htsales.com/jigs/description.html -- (just for the purpose of showing the pics/descriptions - not a plug for this particular brand).

Some jigheads will be plain, unpainted lead ... others will be painted one or more colors (example - http://www.crappiemagic.com/cu.jpg ). Some will have "eyes" painted or added to the head, others won't. And don't even get started about "color" (jigheads or bodies) ...LOL!! Everyone has their favorites. As a beginner - I'd start out with a few basic colors, and branch out from there (as the budget allows :D ) White, Chartreuse, Black, Red, Green, Pink, Blue - are all good colors to start with. And they can be by themselves or in combination with Chartreuse (or any of the other colors).

I've only touched the surface of what's available out there ....... and most, if not all of them work at one time or another. But, hey ... if worms work - use them !! You may even want to look at Grubco (see link at top of page) for various other live "critters" to use. .......luck2ya ......cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stubb

Quote Originally Posted by stubbychester
    I do filet the cats, they sure look funny with the filets off and body in tact. But you still have to remove the skin. If you know a better way, please tell me and perhaps I can have more catfish in the freezer. thanks

I guess if you don't want to lose any meat skinning them is in order. I myself don't mind losing some meat if if means not having to mess with the skin.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

stubbychester Guest

Default Hey Piginthepigpen

You still havent answered my question..you have to skin catfish, or are you taking about kitty cats. :p

stubbychester Guest

Thanks CrappiePappy. Im learning alot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast