Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 5-2-07 First trip this Spring

Post Thanks / Like

Default 5-2-07 First trip this Spring

Finally made it out fishing with the boat. The spawn hasn't started here yet. The water temp when we started about mid morning in the main lake was 63 Degrees. We started catching Crappie but was only about 9 1/2 inch. They have to be 10 inch on this lake. We started with minnows and jigs and most came on the Chartruese Maribou jig. We started moving to different coves and the water started warming up some. We finally went to one and the temp got to 67 degrees. We caught fish everywhere we tried but just caught smaller fish. Every once in awhile we would catch a keeper. After lunch I noticed that all the smaller fish was close to the bank and the bigger fish was out from the bank. I put a bobber on and set it about 3 ft and started catching bigger fish. It slowed down and I switched to minnows and then we started getting the bigger Crappie and the 2 nice Bass. The smaller Crappie took the jig but the bigger Crappie wanted the Minnow. A few spots that I wanted to go to, someone else was already there, so I didn't bother them. There are to many good spots to crowd in on someone else. We ended up with 19 fish and had a great time on the water. We caught a lot of fish but only the few keepers. Next time it should be a lot better. Still a little early here yet.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Wtg!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, congrats. Nothing like figuring them out your first time out.

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking fish. Hard to find them here like that now. Between the warm weather and rain they are scattered every where. Once in a while someone will get on the fish, but not like about a month ago...
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice catch for your first trip out.