Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Old Peabody Pits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Peabody Pits

Hi there. I'm normally on the Missouri site but I was wondering if anyone had any info on the fishing at the old Peabody Pits outside of Sparta. I do a lot of fishing around Washington County on smaller lakes and have a family weekend place close by there. I would like to take my boat over there in the next week or two. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys, but I made a mistake. The area that I was trying to refer to is the old Arch Minerals strip mines. If theirs anyone close to there or has fished there, any advise would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Arch Minerals is a mine site that I did some work on. I did some water quality sampling. Actually we were just taking well water level measurements at Arch. But that was back in the late 1980's and very early 1990's. That is one huge area. Back then they were still actively mining and you had to watch out for blasting. Just finding the well sites was a job in an of itself. You need a good four wheeler to get around that landscape.

I would be interested to know what is going on with that old mine. Just out of curiosity. Did they recontour the land and make it nice again?

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler
    Sorry guys, but I made a mistake. The area that I was trying to refer to is the old Arch Minerals strip mines. If theirs anyone close to there or has fished there, any advise would be appreciated. Thanks again!
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arch Minerals

Moose,

Actually the land was turned over to the state a coupleof years ago for recreation purposes. The owners had to much trouble trying to keep kids and tresspassing hunters out of there. So I guess they just took the tax deduction and donated the land to the idnr. The lakes are connected out there and they have some boat ramps to launch boats there now. I'm not sure what the lake restrictions are though. That was one reason that I posted this was to see if anyone has fished there. I have a sick relative in Washington county right now that I might visit this afternoon so I might try and swing by there and find some info. Do you still live in that area or were you just working there for the time?

Rattler

Post Thanks / Like

Rattler:

I was just working there for a short time. It's been a long time since I have been over to Pinkneyville and that area. Thanks for the information.

Actually the land was turned over to the state a coupleof years ago for recreation purposes. The owners had to much trouble trying to keep kids and tresspassing hunters out of there. So I guess they just took the tax deduction and donated the land to the idnr. The lakes are connected out there and they have some boat ramps to launch boats there now. I'm not sure what the lake restrictions are though. That was one reason that I posted this was to see if anyone has fished there. I have a sick relative in Washington county right now that I might visit this afternoon so I might try and swing by there and find some info. Do you still live in that area or were you just working there for the time?

Rattler[/QUOTE]
    Regards,

Moose1am