Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizz finally tracks down some keepers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grizz finally tracks down some keepers

Man its been a thin spring. I've caught a mess of fish, but I can count the keepers on my fingers and toes. I've abandoned Chautauqua dink lake and I'm hittin the bush. I know these aren't very big, but they are river fish and they hit hard and fought hard. I got em in the oxbows of Conawango creek. I was fishing a 1 inch Berkley power micro tube and was gettin them on every cast. I decided to change to something too big for the dinks and snapped on a Northland Mimic minnow in rainbow trout pattern - 2.5 inches on one of TimmyToms jigheads. ( I really like em TT ) First cast - smack - the nicest crappie so far this season - not too big, but after the dinkfest I've had this spring it was joy - then about a half dozen copies and one a little bigger. 3 bass as well. These river crappies really nail the jigs hard and it sure felt good to get some decent hits. More nice ones comin soon. I've heard they get some real nice ones in these oxbows, so I'm gonna work em over some now that its warmin up. Maybe I'll get my first NY 2 lb in a few years. Wish me luck.

Last edited by GRIZZ; 05-04-2007 at 01:57 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're fishin the right water...good luck on the 2 pounder.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Where's Conawango creek? Not lookinig to jump your fishin holes. If it's in WNY, I'm not wanting to drive that far. If I can get a look at it on a map, I might be able to find someplace similar here in CNY.

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice report Grizz! Glad to see yer out there taking care of population control of the crappie.

Looks like you are getting geared up, so please don't make me TOO jealous when the weather is unbearable here and so nice there!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish. Good job bud. Maybe you can have good luck with my jigs too. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anchorpuller
    Nice report Grizz! Glad to see yer out there taking care of population control of the crappie.

Looks like you are getting geared up, so please don't make me TOO jealous when the weather is unbearable here and so nice there!
    Ha! - What goes around and all that I guess. Forecast for the next 10 days is around 65 degrees every day now for the next 10 days, and we deserve it after the foul spring we have had. I'll try not to rub your noses in it too bad when you guys are sizzling your brains down there. Frankly, I'd gladly sizzle my own brains in exchange for not having to suffer through any more of these foul winters and springs. I don't know if it'll happen this year or not, but in the not too distant future I'm gonna kiss the north goodbye and come sizzle with you guys. The problem is that its so stinkin nice from here on out I tend to forget my sufferings while fishing my brains out and just chill until December and ice up, and then when I'm standing at the lake knocking ice off my rod eyes I start remembering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4
    Where's Conawango creek? Not lookinig to jump your fishin holes. If it's in WNY, I'm not wanting to drive that far. If I can get a look at it on a map, I might be able to find someplace similar here in CNY.
    Its source is up in Randolph and Kennedy, NY and it goes down through NY and PA and empties into the Allegany river at warren. Its rarely wider than 150 feet and mostly narrower than that, but its full of every kind of fish we have in NY and big ones. I know guys who have caught 12 lb walleyes from it, and I have had days when I have caught over 100 smallies. It has northerns and muskies too. Its typically deeper and muddier in NY and it gets wider and clearer and rockier as it gets into PA. Its a nice creek to fish, but its not worth coming all the way from your neck of the woods to fish. It runs through a quagmire of a swampy lowlands and is really hard to get too in NY and isn't much better in PA, but once you fight your way to the water your in for some fun. Its also hard to fish if you don't know it. Your welcome to come and try, but your likely to be disappointed, its tough to fish, but fun too.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 05-04-2007 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch Grizz!

Post Thanks / Like

Grizz I fished with Gamma 6 lb test on my Wally Marshall baitcasters slow vertical trolling the other day against 8lb test Trilene XL. Did not break as easy when getting hung up. We caught 33 between 3/4 -11/4 pound. Must say I'm quite impressed. It slaughtered the Trilene XL. No line memory with the Gamma, but with the Trilene it was a different story. The Trilene at the hook wanted to kink up, the Gamma didn't even hint of doing so. The Gamma 6lb test breaks at 13 pounds WOW. I think I have found my new fishing line. Thanks for giving me the bug to try it. This stuff will pull up stumps especially a higher pound test. It has no line memory, and it is limp, I will further test it bass fishing on my Shimano Curados in 10 or 12 pound test. Right now you can buy 2 spools and get 1 free by mail at Cabelas or Bass Pro. By the way good catch and many wishes on that 2 pounder to come. Again thanks for the info on the Gamma line.
    Last edited by Countrytime; 05-04-2007 at 11:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ
    Ha! - What goes around and all that I guess. Forecast for the next 10 days is around 65 degrees every day now for the next 10 days, and we deserve it after the foul spring we have had. I'll try not to rub your noses in it too bad when you guys are sizzling your brains down there. Frankly, I'd gladly sizzle my own brains in exchange for not having to suffer through any more of these foul winters and springs. I don't know if it'll happen this year or not, but in the not too distant future I'm gonna kiss the north goodbye and come sizzle with you guys. The problem is that its so stinkin nice from here on out I tend to forget my sufferings while fishing my brains out and just chill until December and ice up, and then when I'm standing at the lake knocking ice off my rod eyes I start remembering.
    Well Griz start making some plans for next spring to come to Mississippi and try on some of our North Mississippi crappie. A two pounder dont raise an eyebrow around these parts. You will start getting some ooooo's and aaaaa's past the three pound mark.
    Biguns only:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast