Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Your opinions needed......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your opinions needed......

It occured to me today to take a 1/16 oz road runner jig and exchange it's elongated spinner blade for a "colorade" blade from a 1/16 oz beetle spin (blade was roughly the same size) that was lying loose in the bottom of my tacklebox. Do you think this change will work as the original blade did?? Do you think it will put off as much vibration and flash as the original blade?? more?? less?? Your thoughts. Thanks.
    always Keep a sharp hook.

Post Thanks / Like

All u can do is try it, tinkering with tackle, and i can make this lure better is a tradition, in stained to muddy water the more virbration the better to me

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All blades are made to turn in water. Size effects sound and flash. Testing is free, test away.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Like the guys that tie their own jigs, the testing is the best part!!!!

Start your R & D right away and let us know the results.

Post Thanks / Like

You said the road runner had an elongated blade. If it was a willowleaf blade, then the colorado blade will provide a deeper (meaning sound) vibration on the same size bait. Typically, willowleaf blades provide more flash, and colorado blades provide more vibration. The combination of different blade types, sizes, and colors are endless. I usually leave my road runner blades alone and use my regular jig heads to add the safety pin spinners and tweak my blade choices from there. But there's no reason at all not to try different looks from any bait, makes it more rewarding to catch fish on a bait you have "tweaked".
    on the road again...just can't wait to get back to...TOLEDO BEND

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Brim37 ....

Quote Originally Posted by mostlybrim37
    It occured to me today to take a 1/16 oz road runner jig and exchange it's elongated spinner blade for a "colorade" blade from a 1/16 oz beetle spin (blade was roughly the same size) that was lying loose in the bottom of my tacklebox. Do you think this change will work as the original blade did?? Do you think it will put off as much vibration and flash as the original blade?? more?? less?? Your thoughts. Thanks.

Roadrunners come with both types of blades ... willow leaf & colorado. And no ... the willow leaf won't "vibrate" as much as the colorado, but will produce more flash.

You want to do some "experimental tweaking" ..... take the Roadrunner, and attach the safety pin spinner setup to it

The only things that will stop a Roadrunner's blade from working ..... is a bent swivel connection, or too fat of a plastic trailer on the hook. (or, if you've been "tweaking" with one, and added too large a blade)

I do wish Blakemore would extend the blade swivel, just a skosh, away from the jighead ... I think it would allow the blade to work better, and under slower retrieve speeds.

I've done a little "blade exchange tweaking" on ponyhead/Roadrunner jigs, myself. Some work, some don't ... but, it costs nothing but your time to try. Give it a trial run .... who knows how the next great fishing bait will be found out

....... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    Roadrunners come with both types of blades ... willow leaf & colorado. And no ... the willow leaf won't "vibrate" as much as the colorado, but will produce more flash.

You want to do some "experimental tweaking" ..... take the Roadrunner, and attach the safety pin spinner setup to it

The only things that will stop a Roadrunner's blade from working ..... is a bent swivel connection, or too fat of a plastic trailer on the hook. (or, if you've been "tweaking" with one, and added too large a blade)

I do wish Blakemore would extend the blade swivel, just a skosh, away from the jighead ... I think it would allow the blade to work better, and under slower retrieve speeds.

I've done a little "blade exchange tweaking" on ponyhead/Roadrunner jigs, myself. Some work, some don't ... but, it costs nothing but your time to try. Give it a trial run .... who knows how the next great fishing bait will be found out

....... cp
    ah crappiepappie you are very wise,,the tweaking is what it's all about,you want to try to have something a little different that something of the store shelf,the willow leaf will pull a lot easier as there is less pressure on the blade thus more flash,,i always go with the small Colorado blade and if you want more vibration just use your thumb and put a little more cup int the end of the blade---fuzz
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER