Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Question

How do you know if the battery needs replaced. Is it simply it won't take a charge? When I got the boat out earlier this spring I noticed acid in the battery box. When I put the charger on for the first time they bubbled and hissed quite a bit. The first time they would not charge to full only about 3/4. after the first time out they have charged full. I don't want to be out and have them crap out on me. What do you think? Should I just pony up and buy new? Both are deep cycle and 1 is 2 years old the other probably 4 years old.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me, (and it was back in the spring), I'd make sure they have taken all the charge they can, and take them to a parts house and ask them to load test them. (Auto Zone has one). It's a neat little device you hook up to both posts, and it shorts a 10 second load on the battery, at which point shows you on a meter whether it's still good, or on it's way out. If it has one or more dead cells, you may as well givem' up!!!. It will fail you when it's needed most...........you can bet the bank!!!!
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

if the battery needs cahrging they will charge and test it for you . i have a load tester to test my battery . just bought a new charger that has 9 fault codes .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrap
    How do you know if the battery needs replaced. Is it simply it won't take a charge? When I got the boat out earlier this spring I noticed acid in the battery box. When I put the charger on for the first time they bubbled and hissed quite a bit. The first time they would not charge to full only about 3/4. after the first time out they have charged full. I don't want to be out and have them crap out on me. What do you think? Should I just pony up and buy new? Both are deep cycle and 1 is 2 years old the other probably 4 years old.
    You need to ensure your batteries are filled w/water when you secure your boat for the winter. You also need to hook up a "battery maintainer" to your batteries so they will stay charged all winter. That extreme cold you have up in your neck of the woods will sap all the power out and lead you to trouble in the Spring. You should also clean your terminals before you take it out the first time when the ice melts. I believe you will find with batteries not being alowed to discharge over the winter and w/clean terminals to start with, your troubles w/batteries will drop down to the lower end of the scale.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Post Thanks / Like

When I got my last batt, I was offered a reconditioned one at a pretty good price. I asked how they reconditioned a batt. He said they check the water, clean the terminals, then "boil" the battery at a higher amperage. Test them, then discharge with a lamp and recharge at a low amperge. I went ahead and got a new one but kept my old. I reconditioned it myself and use it for the camper or a night stalk backup.

The noise you heard might have been the batt boiling. And since it didnt blow up on you, its probally good to go now. Now the acid in the box after storage would worry me. You dont want to over work or deep cycle a leaking battery!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sealed

I only use sealed maintenance free batteries to save on adding water.
    While in a tournament last weekend my new Humminbird kept reading "Low Voltage Input" A few hours later my battery was dead and I had to jump all day off of my other two deep cycles.
    That's how I found out though, my Humminbird warned me.
    Crouch & Hengstler Team Vicious, Southern Pro, Crappie Pro

Post Thanks / Like

My Hummingbird says the same thing if you hook it up to the trolling motor battery. Every time you turn the trolling motor on it says that. I have a 565 and you can set it to show your voltage just under the temp reading. I like that as I don't always charge my DF battery as I do my TM battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefish
    I only use sealed maintenance free batteries to save on adding water.
    While in a tournament last weekend my new Humminbird kept reading "Low Voltage Input" A few hours later my battery was dead and I had to jump all day off of my other two deep cycles.
    That's how I found out though, my Humminbird warned me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery

I would put some jumper cables in the boat and when it did go dead, I'd hook
    it up with the good battery and run like that back to the ramp and then buy a new battery. That battery could last all summer and you wouldn't have to spend the money yet.
    Always buy the large model 29 deep cycle battery, you might have to change the battery trays, but it's a much stronger battery.
    My next battery will be a Delco Voyager, my friends have them and they will last a long time.............good luck

spider rig man

Post Thanks / Like

That acid would have me worried a bit. Leaky ain't good. Load testing at an auto parts store would be the first step for having peace of mind.

I don't have a motor boat, but I do have a lawn tractor and a trolling motor for my row boat.
    I'm up here in "cold country" and for the winter, I store them in the cellar so they don't freeze, and I have a two bank Guest "on board" charger mounted on a bench in the basement to keep a float charge on them all winter. I know, you're wondering why on earth would I have an on board charger in the house? Well, it was given to me when my father-in-law upgraded to a three-bank charger, and free is my kinda price! They stay topped off, the plates don't get messed up (I think it's called sulfated), and I never have a problem come spring. The other benefit is that it will make your batteries last longer if you store them with a float charge.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats is a sign of a shorted cell. Like everyone said, a load test will confirm this.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast