Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Approaching a Lake You have never fished

Post Thanks / Like

Default Approaching a Lake You have never fished

Hey guys I have a tournament I am fishing with a buddy this weekend. I am going over to prefish this tournament, but have never previously been on the lake. All I know about the lake is that it is pretty wide open and only has a few creek arms and the lake is over 10000 acres. There is not much for trees either. The water temps here are in the low 60's, but we have had quite a bit of rain last couple days. Anyone have any suggestions on what you would normally do on a new lake?

Post Thanks / Like

1.......Get a map...............

2........Get a map..............

3........Get a map...........

ok..........ok.......... so ya got a map. Start looking for places that match up with the lake you normally fish. Yeah I know every place is different, but fish is fish and they have pretty much the same habits from one state to another.

They will relate to structure............wood, docks, ledges, creek beds, trees,..etc..............

They react to weather conditions, water conditions, fishing pressure the same..........

4....... talk to locals..........really they won't give their "honey hole" away but will tell you whats going on................ most guys are pretty good and honest

so that's my two cents.................

post back how you do................and what won it.

john
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Chad, ALWAYS!!! look for areas that you would like to fish. Look for the same depths and contours that you fish at your home lake. THEN,,, look at the weather,,,wind & rain run-off can change a area. Check lake levels!! Is it dropping,,,rising?? Talk to bait stores. Any hints can be helpfull. Get on the lake and fish it. Look for other fishers. Don't go in on them but, look there when they have gone. Then try to duplicate that at another spot. You just might find something that the locals have over looked. Also in tournament prepping, find out just what size of fish that the lake produces. You DON"T wanna bring in a basket of pounders when everybody else has 1 1/2 pounders. Then "go outside the box". Try something that isn't normal such as ,,,deeper,,,shallower, bigger baits, smaller baits. All confusing except,,,somebody ALWAYS finds them!!! Hope it is you!!! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake?

Chad, which lake are you going to?
    Crouch & Hengstler Team Vicious, Southern Pro, Crappie Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Advice

Crappie Chatt put it best, let us know how it goes.
    Crouch & Hengstler Team Vicious, Southern Pro, Crappie Pro