Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Man overboard Practice....

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Man overboard Practice....

Catchafew just brought up a good point. How to board a boat if you fall overboard. I saw a demo by one of the bass guys. Parker used the power trim to pick himself out of the water and board. I tried this and it does work. It took a few tries to figure what to hang on to. You need to practice it if you plan to use it for MOB. It ain't easy as it looks.

I first tried it on dry land. Let me remind you to hook your trailer to your vehicle before you try a dry run.. haha

Honey and I got new sospenders at BPS sale. They are so light, after we got in from fishing the other day, she forgot she had it on and was out running the the weed eater with sospenders still on. They are nice. Money well spent.

We want leave home without them now.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Always a good idea to try a test run, or swim, I have a vision of somebody whipping out the instructions as they are bobbing away downstream. Stay safe!
    What makes a better lightning rod than a graphite fishing rod? NOTHING!

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the power trim to re-board twice. Once on accident and once on purpose (too hot so went swimming). A couple of things about doing it...

First run down to the hardware store and get some non-skid tape to apply to the top of the anti cavitation plate where you will be putting your feet. It can be very slippery and right below it is a very sharp prop.

Second... RIGHT BELOW IT IS A VERY SHARP PROP THAT WILL CUT THE CRUD OUT OF YOU IF YOU SLIP OFF WHILE LIFTING!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to consider is just running the TM from the water to get to shore where you can walk in. Getting into a boat by yourself in wet clothes is hard. Even with a ladder or the power trim it can be hard if you're packing a few extra pounds or have bad knees or shoulders.

My dad lost a buddy who fell in while fishing alone and couldn't get back in the boat. Lots of signs he'd tried, but apparently he became exhausted and got separated from the boat. No life jacket.

Post Thanks / Like

It's always good to be prepare, especially when fishing alone. You never know what can happen.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Cholla Jigs
    I've used the power trim to re-board twice. Once on accident and once on purpose (too hot so went swimming). A couple of things about doing it...

First run down to the hardware store and get some non-skid tape to apply to the top of the anti cavitation plate where you will be putting your feet. It can be very slippery and right below it is a very sharp prop.

Second... RIGHT BELOW IT IS A VERY SHARP PROP THAT WILL CUT THE CRUD OUT OF YOU IF YOU SLIP OFF WHILE LIFTING!!!!
    This non-skid is a good idea. I am gonna get some on the way to the lake Saturday. Thanks for the tip.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I used to keep a rope tied to one of the D rings on the back of my boat when I duck hunted. At the end of the rope was a stirrup I made with about a 8 inch peice of conduit. I would then just keep the rope and stirrup under the back deck and if I ever did fall out all I had to do was get to the back of the boat and pull the rope out and I had a ready made step already attached.

Summer is the time to try this stuff out as I would bet my paycheck against any commers that not 5% of the folks that have ever visited this board could get back in a boat wearing heavy clothes in cold water.

The lake is where I want em to spread my ashes not find my body.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=gooch]I used to keep a rope tied to one of the D rings on the back of my boat when I duck hunted. At the end of the rope was a stirrup I made with about a 8 inch peice of conduit. I would then just keep the rope and stirrup under the back deck and if I ever did fall out all I had to do was get to the back of the boat and pull the rope out and I had a ready made step already attached.

That is a great idea! Ive always thought if I couldnt climb the motor, Id swim it to shore(14' jon). I did think about a rope ladder for my daughter when,"Its to hot to fish", but never did it.

Post Thanks / Like

I always keep the big motor trimed down so i have a step to get back into the boat, and have a small rope in the back of the boat if i need it, fell out a few times, some intentional some not,heep the life jacket handy