PDA

View Full Version : Auto Pistol or Revolver??

bowdenja
05-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Not trying to offend anyone, just looking for honest opinions.

I fish alone, and even thought I'm 6' 250 lbs, I am getting, ummmmm (cough)older (cough) and returning back to the landing after dark, with all the horror stories happening in our paradise of a world we have, I AM going to keep a firearm in my boat for protection. This decision is made, my enigma is what gun/caliber.

I consider myself very knowledgeable and savvy as far as firearms are concerned so I have made my choices to two guns/caliber, I am very comfortable risking life and limb with either guns............ brand really doesn't matter, they both are Named and reliable brands............Oh.......... price doesn't matter, suffices to say there is only $5 USD difference between the two models I have choosen............... no I'm not going to say which is cheaper:D

Both guns will be stainless.......or stainless/polymer frame for the auto.

gun A .......... 6 shot 2" 357 Magnum Stainless Steel

gun B .......... 10+1 shot 4" 40 S&W Stainless/Polymer frame

I have guns in both these caliber so ammo isn't much of a problem............ I know the stopping power of both, my concern, if you will, is why you would pick one over the other and what argument you have for that choice.

If this does offend or you think this is not a "PC" post............. umm........ sorry go to another post, please don't lecture me on how bad guns are........... 20+ years of government work and 10+ years running a convenience store makes me jaded as to the type of people who co-habitat our society....... present company excluded!

So thanks for your opinions................ my final decision has not been made yet, but I am leaning toward one over the other.................

The stump is unoccupied.................

minnowsoaker
05-02-2007, 02:32 PM
for the boat I'd go with the revolver. less parts and more reliable.

Doodlesock
05-02-2007, 02:36 PM
JUST KIDDING!!!
I'd have to pick the revolver too... for the same reason.
Today's auto pistols are pleny reliable but in a humid, potentially neglected environment of a boat a wheel gun is more apt to do it's job reliably.
Tell us what you settle on and why if you don't mind.

willsjwills
05-02-2007, 02:39 PM
go with the auto. It's more aggressive looking and would intimidate the heck out of a dude if you started waving it around. He might just flee in self defense without your firing a shot.

FisherMike
05-02-2007, 02:46 PM
I like the sawed off 12 guage model myself.

Jusy jokin on that.

I have a question though first.
Why the 357? Seems a little much for PP to me.

MDCrappie
05-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Gun B - make would however be GLOCK. My main reason would be familiarity. I've been carrying one for the past 15 or so years. Only 2 stopages ever, both attributed to practice (cheap) ammo. Both were cleared and the weapon was firing w/i a matter of seconds. If someone were to grab a hold of your GLOCK you would still be able to get a shot off. If they grabbed that same revolver and held the cylinder from moving, you would not be able to fire the weapon.(Unless the hammer was already cocked) Also - I carried a 6" S&W .38 cal for 5 years prior. I was able to fire my qualification sequences faster and more accurate with the GLOCK.

FalconSmitty
05-02-2007, 02:50 PM
I have a .25 special pop gun. When I fish nights I have a cough "short" cough
Shotgun 20ga in the rod box if I think of it.Times are rough so ya never know. I fish in a meth infested area.
Remember DI's sig..."Shoot'em in da Face" I have said for years i wanted a ryder bb gun to shoot lake lice.

smoothlures
05-02-2007, 02:53 PM
I'd take the .40 S&W, hands down. I think I'm reading what you said wrong, but you're not leaving it in the boat are you? Then you will have no problems of a fully functional firearm if you take care of your guns.
For why, the .357 just isn't my cup of tea. The 2 inch barrel and the small gun will not be fun to shoot, which you should do if you're going to have it as a 'carry' gun.
The .40 has plenty of stopping power, plus you have enough bullets for 'his buddies' too. It will be a smaller auto pistol, but it'll still be big enough to shoot.
Lastly, the ammo, you need a good personal defense round either way. Find which shoots best in your gun, but I like Speer's Gold Dot ammo.

CastandBlast
05-02-2007, 03:09 PM
I agree with smoothlures.....also if you ever wanted to resell or trade your gun I think you'd do better with the auto.

DRPEPPER
05-02-2007, 03:40 PM
I choose B. More bullets equals more oportunities.
DP

beagler
05-02-2007, 03:48 PM
I like gun B as well. The longer barrel as well as more bullets.

Interesting Thread. Making me think about cutting a dooor in my bench seat Hollowing out the foam. A nice shelf for the gun as well as a camo. Door.

Falcon Smitty

What I carry for the water lice is a Wam O Sling shot. Put about 3 split shots in the pouch and let er fly. Then just drop it. pick up your fishing rod.;)

magnum500
05-02-2007, 04:24 PM
I would go with the .40 caliber auto. As a friend of mine that is a cop says the more rounds you have the better your odds. He also says not to stop pulling the trigger until the gun is empty. His theory is it ain't over till it's over if you know what I mean!!!

reelcrappie
05-02-2007, 04:32 PM
I favor the revolver, guess I'm old school. The two inch barrel is the only draw back. Less chance of a jam or stoppage. The forty with 10 rounds and longer barrel is probably a more practical choice. A little advice, do some serious thinking about whether you can shoot someone when the time comes. Aint as easy as it sounds.

Meat on the Table
05-02-2007, 04:52 PM
I have a concealed carry permit issued here in Kentucky, and I always carry a .44 magnum Ruger SS Redhawk in a shoulder holster. We have big snakes around here.LOL. People tend to think before they run their mouth when they see it hanging there. I carry it out in the open, because I truly believe it is a visual deterrent.

slabsrus
05-02-2007, 04:59 PM
both are great choices. if you choose the s&w go with the m&p model. stainless, very reliable, not affected by any weather conditions. i sell guns for a living and spend a lot of time shooting and training on most of the name brand guns on the market and the smith and wesson m&p is now one of the best autos on the market. as far as the 357 goes it is a great choice in a revolver. you can practice with 38 if you want and carry with 357 in the same gun. you can also just get a 38 that is plus p capable which will give you almost equal ballistics to the 357. s&w makes a lot of small light weight frames that are great for carrying. a hammerless or one with a semi concealed hammer is great for personal protection. you can also get them with laser grips already on them which takes the guess work out of having to aim in a hurry.

stinkies daddy
05-02-2007, 05:24 PM
I would do the 357 but not w/ a 2" barrel i would go at least 4 ". Magnums generate all their knock down power as they travel through the barrel. a 2" barrel may leave you with a hard to handle pistol with less knock down power than you could have. the 40 would be ok but i wouldnt wanna put all my trust on a gun that was kept in such an ungun friendly place like a boat. personally i would carry pepper spray and use that before the gun, and if the guy you spray can keep comming at you , well................... shooting him would probabally just make him mad

good luck with your choice hope i helped

Stink

guest01
05-02-2007, 05:36 PM
I carry a walther P99 .40 ALL THE TIME. I was a vctom 3 years ago bank fishing and I still hate fishing from the bank. but I have never had a miss feed or no fire with it and I have shot a lot of rounds through it. I think you should go with the .40 plenty of power, plent of shots that can be made if need be and eaier to reload quick. if you should have to but I hope you never do.

Anythingthatpulls
05-02-2007, 05:36 PM
I carry a GLOCK 17: Polymer Frame; 17 rounds in mag; plus one in chamber;
Keep it locked and loaded and just pull the trigger; dont need to see them just know which way they were headed. Also; have Laser Grip Sights; hit them in the eyes with the Laser and they are blind. Also; get you some Federal Personal Defense Hollow Point Ammo; dont want any Lawsuits Later.

NIMROD
05-02-2007, 05:50 PM
I would choose the revolver , but really perfer a 12 gauge pump full of buckshot.:eek: :rolleyes: :( It's sad but I understand , used to carry a gun when I fished ar night.

pstone
05-02-2007, 05:55 PM
My vote is for the .40 call too. Chances are if someone is going to rob you at night at a boat ramp, they ain't going to be by themselves...

robbor
05-02-2007, 06:04 PM
I dont really believe in guns for protection nor think its is warranted while fishing.
I think the only thing you will find is you will never need the gun and it will become rusty(even ss wil rusty). Also if you ever need it you will not have it on you. Also many places have laws and rules against firearms on lakes(public/private/government). You might instead consider a flare gun, its is far more accepted around boats. You also have the factor to deal with of others complaining about seeing you with a gun or possibly accidentally having it concieled. Also never admit to carrying a weapon for protection.

Ken Kinser
05-02-2007, 06:59 PM
40 S&W also load the barrel and second rd as cci snakeshot,then the hollow points, them first 2 will be handy with the snakes at night, if trouble starts fire 3 quick. if u like me you need the first 2 the most. also keep a couple extra cci's in the tackle box.

crappie cowboy
05-02-2007, 07:06 PM
If I was that afraid of that ramp at night, I sure wouldn't leave my truck and
trailer there, nor would I use it, find another ramp.
Sometimes knowing you have a weapon makes you feel more assure of your
self and braver, and that my friend can be very dangerous.
The best advise I can give you is, don't put yourself in any area of danger and you won't need to be carrying a firearm that may cause grief or prison on your part.
I know what I'm talking about, I was a deputy sheriff and have seen some sad things happen.
You have every right to have and carry a weapon, I believe in people's rights, but remember when you PULL your weapon or Fire your weapon you
are as close to going to prison as you will every be, if you don't shoot they
may sue and maybe jail time, if you do shoot you will be in court, it better be a very good shoot.

Good Luck...................spider rig man

turkeyfootnc
05-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Now this is my kind of topic!

I have both a Beretta model 96 40S&W and a couple of small 357's I keep in the trucks for concealment. I like both rounds and I know the power from both guns is deadly but IMO the 40 would be better for 2 main reasons:
1. It holds more rounds
2. Lots of law enforcement agencies carry a 40 so that tells me it is a good round.

turkeyfootnc
05-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Also many places have laws and rules against firearms on lakes(public/private/government).

I've said for years what someone doesn't know won't hurt them.

I have a NC Concealed Weapons Permit and the only time I ever let anyone know if I'm carrying anything is if I am in a license check(required by law to tell officer you're carrying) or if I specifically tell someone, which I don't.

zebkedic
05-02-2007, 07:41 PM
The most important thing is that you choose a firearm that you are most comfortable with. Whether it is a revolver or a semi-auto is really not as important as choosing a firearm you can use, and will carry.

bowdenja
05-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Well this is great! Thanks guys.................... I have actually used all your arguments already and still on the fence................ more bullets.........let complexity..................

robbor...........

I respect your feelings and I hope you will mine......... I truly hope you live next door to the police dept or carry a baseball bat around with you. Or you are a very lucky individual that doesn't have to worry about the bottom layer of humanity that I have had to deal with.

Caliber choices.......hmmmmmmm......... 357 because it's a 357. Just because you have a 115 HP motor doesn't mean you have to go wide open all the time........:D This IMHO is the most versatile round available period.......IMHO again.

40 S&W...........police, and Feds use this round..........and I HATE 9mm........ 45 cal would be my next choice if I choose the auto. ummmm got one of them too.

2" barrel.............have any of y'all shot a 357 Mag at night?........ I might just burn all his hair off from the gout of flame from the barrel.......... also I really don't think I would be shooting over 15 yards.......... and I'm already pretty consistent with my other short barreled wheel guns:D unfortunately not as good as the wife.............. what is it about women and shooting a pistol............it just comes naturally.

No Weapons Laws................

hmmmm......... didn't work in VA, VA again, AR, Pearl MS (live real close to here), Columbine, and most recently TARGET in KC...........

Don't get me wrong....... those are some of the worst things that have happened to our country besides, Pearl Harbor and 9-11, and I truly wish those that are still alive that did these crimes NEVER get out from prison, or better yet hanged, injected or shocked to death. Man I hate having to pay taxes to feed people who have done stuff like that.............again MY opinion.......and I ain't changing.

But places marked with this Gun Ban logo, you know the gun with a big red circle with a line through it, are just slaughter house for crazies to explote..............

IF it wasn't for MS National Guard teacher at Pearl High School having his 45 auto locked in his car, there would have been many, many more children dead here in MS. Not too many people outside of my area are aware that a teacher had an "illegal" weapon on a school campus and stopped that SOB who had plans to go the the Jr. High while the police were at the High School. But it's true............ they tried to give him problems for having an "illegal" gun on school property but too many people stood up for him...............the well......... liberals backed down...........

Guess they thought about having to find real work come next election.

Sorry............ I'm ranting.................forgive me.

Whatever the law says...........unfortunatly criminals don't obey them, I will be able to protect myself, friends and family............ as much as I support the police and sheriff departments and as good as most of those men and women are........... they can not be everywhere all the time........... and more than likely as in the VA Tech shooting, will be busy trying figuring out what happened when the nut case shows up somewhere else to go at it again.

Wonder how many people, kids would have been saved if a teacher at VA Tech had been a National Guardsman with an "illegal" gun locked in his car?

I wish we could all be endowed with ESP, but then there would not be any problems from criminals because everyone would be rich picking lotto numbers.

I will have a firearm for protection...............if you want to take that as a public announcement, well I guess you are right.

Oh........... I'm still on the fence............. and my 12 gauge is by the bed:D

Mossberg 3" pump 18 1/2" barrel, 9 shot #4 buck.......

Keep em coming.............. the opines that is.

Thanks

john

GRIZZ
05-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Hmm... I'm 43 and have spent a very large percentage of my life with a fishing pole in my hand. I've fished in a dozen or more states both within sight of sky scrapers and in the most foul and wretched bush any angler would want to tromp through to get some fish. I have never come close to a situation where I wished I had a gun. I find that most people who need to wear a gun put themselves in the situations that cause them to need one. If you use just a little common sense you'll never need a gun. My advise is leave your gun and your attitude at home and use some discretion when you fish.

That being said, I love guns. I love shooting them, talking about them, and having the right to own and shoot them. I'm with Slabsrus. That S&W M&P is a fine weapon, and its safer than a Glock for carrying and cleaning. You guys saying that having 16 bullets in a pistol is what you need are wrong. What you need with a pistol is one shot knock down power, and with concealable weapons that means .45 cal. and with Glock that means the newer Models 36-39. They actually fit in your hand better because they have single-column magazines while the smaller caliber Glocks stack cartidges which makes a blocky handful when shooting and a thicker gun for concealment. With the 36-39 models you get a more concealable weapon with one shot dropping power. I think they are the best Glocks made.

Personally though, I'd choose the S&W M&P 45 ACP or a Sig P-229 .40. The P-229 has the high round capacity of 13 rounds together with a big bore cartridge, and it does it in a frame that is light to carry and easy to shoot, but like the Glock it isn't for someone who is a beginner. Some steel parts of it are made in the USA. Still, now that I think about it I'd still choose the S&W M&P 45 ACP first. Its the most comfortable, best shooting big bore semi auto I've ever had in my hands. I don't want to shoot people. I don't know how many of you have stared down the barrel of a .45, but its big and is likely to make some stupid idiot wet his drawers and rethink his life before any shooting takes place at all.

bowdenja
05-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Attitude...........ok That is you opinion and I can respect it.

I'm 50 and I had to defend myself twice........ once in the city at my store........ once in the woods while hunting.

Both times no one died and no shots fired, but I'm am very glad that having a gun with me gave me the chance to stop/end/get out of what would have been a grim situation if I wasn't armed.

No I do not expect to have to defend myself coming back to a boat landing at night, but.................well you know. The guy and his daughter from MO didn't expect to get back to the landing and find his tires slashed at Enid, but it happened.

No the gun won't rust up because I take care of my stuff.......... money don't grow on trees and what I do spend, I do spend on stuff that will last and on stuff I plan on keeping for a long time.

Some of the places I put in at are very public during the day, but dang dark at night. Some, not all, are out-of-the way places............most are not and most are well lit.

Call me a pessimist, tell me I have an attitude......... ummm..... no problem. I rather be over-prepared than found lacking or wanting. If the dookie hits the fan I'm ready, if it don't........ hey it's my time/money wasted.

If that's attitude, yeah I guess I do have one.

From your post I take it you vote for the auto............ thanks for your opinion. I too believe in a 45...........but 40 S&W ain't too bad either.

john

GRIZZ
05-03-2007, 03:31 AM
I guess I should have been a little clearer. I should have said I don't think people need to be packing when fishing. I'm sure that someplace, somewhere if you work hard at it you can find a place to fish where when your pulling your boat at night you may need a gun, but it would be easier to find a 1000 places instead where gun play is less likely that getting struck by lightning. When I said your attitude, I meant THE attitude, as in "I find that most people who need to wear a gun put themselves in the situations that cause them to need one." I wasn't referring to you in particular, though its entirely possible that I was if your like that.

My point is and was that fishing is safe and peaceful. That's one of the main reasons we fish. You don't need to wear a gun when fishing. I'd put money on the chances of you needing a gun when fishing fall around the 10 million to 1 ratio somewhere, as in 10,000,000 fishing trips happen without the need for a gun to 1 trip where you might need one unless your fishing in Manhattan or downtown Miami. Even that's probably low. It just seems silly to me, and I'm a pro gun man.

wefish
05-03-2007, 03:40 AM
I'd flip a coin, either will stop an aggressor and I am like yourself, also don't have any desire to have 4 or 5 thugs attack me at one time. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

freeflow_23
05-03-2007, 06:50 AM
Personally I wouldn't fish a place I didn't think was safe enough to launch and recover. Especially if I felt I needed to be armed.
If you're going to bring something with you though I'd recommend something you could conceal legally. Carry it on your person, not in the boat. Best way in my opinion.

I own a Keltec P-11 9mm and 18 gauge for home protection. The P-11 is very inexpensive, very small (easily concealable), and holds 10 rounds.

My brother has the Glock 17 9mm and that is one bad mofo. Not ideal for concealed personal carry IMO but would definitely do to job. Nice knowing you've got 17 rounds to deal with whatever comes up.

bowdenja
05-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Grizz.........sorry if I mis-understood. Really this will be kept in the boat.......... for the same reason you have one beside your bed. (I suspect) Yes the chances of needing it to protect yourself are very slim, but I bet it's there anyway.

wefish......... already have! That's why I'm leaning toward one over the other..........:D

Really guys............. sticking a firearm in my boat for protection from would be criminals is NOT the only reason, but is one reason I choose not to go with a 380, 32, or 22 cal gun. Ummmmmm of these, 22 cal is the only one I have and there is a reason why I don't care for the others.

Rabid cottonmouths, giant gars 5+ feet, grinnels(bowfins), sometimes even sharks when I go to the coast (they eat real good) would more than likely be the targets for me.

Yes I have had a nasty angry no shoulders attack my boat, no it was my stupid EX-brother-in-law who said "Watch this" before trying to hook the snake even before I saw it. Needless to say he fishes by his self since that boat paddle, water slapping, standing on the back edge of my plastic boat seat, questioning his mother and fathers decision to bring him into the world incident. Yes even the under appreciated 22 cal would have handled that and I wish I had one to use. It would have been debatable as to what to shoot first; mad snake, stupid bother-in-law...........just kidding......

stupid bother-in-law first, the snake was smarter and I could have negotiated with it.:D

So this will be a just in case, boy I'm glad I had that gun.

Yes either will shoot shotshells .......... and both can be used for plinking, or just having SAFE fun in general.

But I want a major caliber just in case................

No I'm not paranoid, just a pessimist and heck if you going to spend money, get a large caliber if the price is pretty close to the same.............yes they are pretty close.

john

joejv4
05-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Sad that there are launches where you even have to think about personal protection. I' guess I'm lucky that all the places i fish are places where you can leave your keys in the truck and not have to worry.

Makes me happy to live where I do. I never want to feel the need to be packing when I go fishing. All my guns now are long arms and they come out during hunting season.

As for choices, Back when I lived in a large metropolitan area and had a part-time job at a convenience store (that had been robbed multiple times) I used to own a S&W 357, blue 4"bbl. Nice gun, and thankfully, nobody tried to rob us after I bought it.

Thinking back, for sheer stopping power, the good old .45 autos we used back in my Navy days are just the ticket. Point those big old ball rounds at center of mass and squeeze - it's pretty much guaranteed that the bad guy will be on the ground. That's the weapon I'd choose were I in a situation that I needed to get a handgun for personal protection.

Buffy
05-03-2007, 07:09 AM
I'd go for the auto. If you have it you won't need it. Boy there are a lot of really lucky people on this. The landings around here at dusk and after are prime hang outs for jd's around here. One reason I don't go on the river by myself is getting hassled by a boatload of drunk 'fishermen'. I had gone up a little inlet and they pulled their boat almost all the way across it. Still makes me shake, I shoved their boat with my paddle and put it in high gear, right back to the landing.

smoothlures
05-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Just my .02, for everyone who doesn't think he needs the gun, 99.9% of the time it will be as if he didn't even have the gun. Nothing will be different, except if he feels threatened, he is protected. It's not like he's wanting to wave it around if someone looks at him wrong. He is only protecting himself, not trying to find trouble. Sure he probably won't need it and hopefully he won't ever have to use or even think about using it, but obviously where he's at he feels he needs a pistol for protection.

nralover
05-03-2007, 08:01 AM
My username tells ya how I feel. :) Anyway- I go for capacity. My round will always be the .45 ACP, but the .40 S&W is a proven manstopper, and 11 rounds would end almost any confrontation. Go with the auto- you'll be happy you did...

DC Crappie Kid
05-03-2007, 08:32 AM
To me, the decision would be made by one simple factor: when the boat is not in use, where will the gun be? If it's staying in the boat, I'd go with the revolver. If you're taking it in the house/keeping it on your body, I'd go with the 40. Reasoning is simple: revolver is more reliable in adverse conditions; 40 is preferred, but is higher maintenance.

On the sub-topic...I've been places I'd have been more comfortable if I'd been carrying. So I know what you're talking about. Most of us can recognize those places before anything happens. I choose not to go back. Like Grizz said, there are too many other places to fish.

I don't remember who was talking about a "visual deterrant," but I respectfully disagree. That's just asking to get into a peeing contest. Then it's a matter of whose is bigger, and that's just silly. I had a friend who got his black belt. A wise instructor advised him not to talk about his achievement. He said "if you ever have to use it, and everyone knows you have it, they will be ready for it." If you show it off, you've given up an advantage. IF I ever find myself in one of those situations, I don't want my assailant to know what's coming, or where it's coming from.

beenfishin?
05-03-2007, 09:01 AM
I dont really believe in guns for protection nor think its is warranted while fishing.
I think the only thing you will find is you will never need the gun and it will become rusty(even ss wil rusty). Also if you ever need it you will not have it on you. Also many places have laws and rules against firearms on lakes(public/private/government). You might instead consider a flare gun, its is far more accepted around boats. You also have the factor to deal with of others complaining about seeing you with a gun or possibly accidentally having it concieled. Also never admit to carrying a weapon for protection.

May not ever need it, but I would rather have it and not need it than to need iit and not have it. As far as others not likeing it, so what?? If I had to worry bout that I wouldn't get to do much cus like it or not, therer is alwayssome one who doesn't like what you are doing. Even if you are just drivilng down the road, you make someone mad. Either your going to slow or to fast or your car is too ugly or somethin. As for having guns for protection, if someone is breaking into your truck when you get to the landing, they have a gun, you walk up on them, now, do you want a gun or a cell phone???

Seymore
05-03-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm curious. And I'm tempted to stir the pot.;) Everyone keeps saying the revolver is more reliable. Well, I'm pretty sure the pistol the USSOCOM gives our country's special forces to use in the toughest theatres on earth is an automatic. And that's for an pistol that is often used in an offensive role. The SOCOM pistol is the H&K Mk23. It's a modified H&K USP. I have a USP 45 and it has been nothing but reliable and accurate with whatever I've put in it. H&K really makes a helluva gun. Don't get me wrong, I like revolvers, and if I were in some place like Alaska hunting and needed a last-resort sidearm for large predators like grizz and wolves, the old wheelgun in a 4" barrel and a large bore is what I'd pick. I think for reliability, you're just as well off with the H&K or the Glock (as bad as I hate to admit it, ugly ass things) or even the venerable Colt 1911. Also, I'd really take a good hard look at a H&K USP Compact in .40. Smaller than the USP, but still very comfortable to shoot. Additionally, H&K uses a treatment on their guns that is really good at preventing corrosion. H&K tends to think highly of their guns, but I'm telling you that you absolutely get what you pay for.

I also wouldn't leave a gun in my boat. If some ne'er do well comes along and decides to lighten your burden of equipment, the pistol would probably be sure to go, and then it could be used to commit a crime. Oh, and as far as using a pistol to shoot snakes, that's a crap shoot unless you're using rat shot. Gar is doable with regular ammo, but snakes are awful hard to hit in the water.

jem270
05-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Lots of opinions on this matter. Of course mine is the best.

Best choice hands down is a small revolver.

Reasons:

99.99 percent of the time all you have to do is show a weapon and people will back off.

The best weapon is one that you have on your person. A large auto or revolver will tend to be put out of reach where it will do absolutely no good.

Also:

Make sure you have the proper permits to carry one.

Always be very afraid of what your weapon can do but be mentally prepared of having to do what it is designed to do. Do not threaten use unless you are willing to back it up and be prepared for the consequences. Pulling the trigger WILL alter your life.

backtocrappie
05-03-2007, 11:17 AM
As a gun owner and fisherman I am definetly wondering just where in the heck do you fish that you need a gun?

DC Crappie Kid
05-03-2007, 11:17 AM
And be aware of the laws in your area. OK just passed a bill to extend the parameters of the "Make My Day" law (legalizes use of deadly force) so that you're not just covered at home, but also at friend's house and your/his vehicles. Is this a great state or what?!?

adacrappieman
05-03-2007, 12:57 PM
yep DC...it sure is a great state!

Tunica
05-03-2007, 01:32 PM
As a gun owner and fisherman I am definetly wondering just where in the heck do you fish that you need a gun?

Most of you aint seen what goes on on some of the ramps around here. Trucks keyed, tires flattened, trucks broken into, trailers sunk group of fellas beating people at the ramps even jumped a game warden. With all the good advertising about the fishing on the Big three not only people looking for fish read that.

My choice is not to carry, I support his right to carry.

bowdenja
05-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Again guys thanks for the responses................ It's great to be able to pose a question like this, get responses and opinions, both about guns and other things that make this site what it is.

smoothlures.........Thanks you get what I'm talking about.

Seymore............. Kinda agree with you........... .lots of folks vote for revolver because of the condition thing...........kinda wonder why we don't still have S&W 38 M&Ps and Whebleys..........instead of 1911 Colts, 92F Barettas, H&K..........etc

jem270.......... if it was bears I had to worry about..........no choice needed.........4" 44 mag.....or 454........both would complement the Marlin 45/70 or 444.......... this is what I feel would be able to protect me and I would be able to handle with teeth and bear attitude coming at me.

backtocrappie........... really this is not the only consideration...... but FYI one ramp I use it way up river, there is a campground, store, and homes close by..........but at dark........pass 8:00 here, there is only one, (1) weak pole light and it is down at the ramp, pier............... the parking lot is pretty dark, and can make the hair on the back of your neck raise up a little. And it's not just two legged nasties you have to worry about, but BIG dogs, pissed off snakes, rabid skunks, maybe a gator or raccoon checking out the garbage can, and green eyed woolly bugger big footed yeti monsters that might be there where you can not see:D

Great place during the day.......spooky late at night.

DC Crappie Kid............ really........ ok maybe this will help. The boat is stored under it's own metal car port............ my plans are to make a box/storage place for this firearm......... and again it will not be left to the elements, it will be cleaned regularly and truly taken care of. I'm thinking it will be like having one in the car............

Yes personal preferences will help make the decision........ fortunately for me I am very happy/comfortable with both types of firearms. I have both types and many makes/brands................and have shot other that I don't personally have so I do have my likes and dislikes.........no it will not be a Kahr........or AMT.......or 9mm or 380 cal.

I have narrowed it down to specific guns............... one is a 6 shot 357 the other is a polymer frame stainless steel slide 40 cal.

When I make the choice....... and it will be real soon! I will post what they were, and what my final choice is. Yes there will be a lot of people who will not like the brands and model I choose, and there will be other that say I should go with this one or that one................

But for the other criteria that led me to narrow down to these two, this is what I have come up for ME, and not anyone else.

john

DC Crappie Kid
05-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Well then I'd go with the 40. 'Cause more rounds is mo betta! Remember a fella named David? Did he grab the minimum # stones for his slingshot? Nope, he took more than he needed...just in case. He was a pretty cool guy; I'd follow his lead.

Jason280
05-03-2007, 03:51 PM
It really depends on how competent you are with firearms. Semi-auto pistols are inherently more complicated to manipulate and are more prone to jamming. Now, of your choices, I would go with the .357 revolver over the .40 pistol. There is nothing wrong with a .40, but I prefer the .357. I guess it really comes down to two factors, those being the one you are both the most confident and proficient with. It does no good to have a firearm if you don't know how to use it.

I keep a Glock 19 with me anytime I am on the lake, just as I do anytime I am on the road. Of course, I have a state issued firearms permit. Let us know what you decide.

crappie cowboy
05-03-2007, 04:54 PM
You seen to be very knowledgeable on firearms and you stated you already own a number of them, why are you asking others of there opion on this, you have a answere if seems for everything for every opion that is offered to you, and you already stated you carry a weapon on fishing trips.
I'm not trying to be ugly, I just don't believe you need any advice on which weapon you need you already have enought knowledge from your other guns
to decide that.
I have both type of firearms and carryed a weapon in law enforcement for ten years. If I travel now my choice is a five shot snub nose hammerless Smith & Wesson 357 revolver with plus p 38 loads.
The auto's are great guns, BUT there is that one chance of a hang up on the second shot and being under stress in a shootout some auto's will hang up if
not held in the hand just right[ firm ] it happens more offen under stress.
I want to know my weapon will fire no matter how I hold it under any situation, my life may verywell depend on it, so my choice is the revolver, I know it holds only five shots, but I know I can depend on those five when
only a second or two counts and not time for clearing a hang up with the auto.
I know the auto fans will not like me talking about there auto's, but it is a fact, I don't know about you but I value my life.....good luck.

spider rig man

dogboy
05-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Don't intend to get away from the two you listed as your choices but really Glock is $ per $ the hands down best you can buy for your intended use. Corrosion is not an issue, out standing accuracy probably near the same price as the other auto your looking at.
I'd bet my life on it
KW

dogboy
05-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Wow, I had no idea this thread got this long. I was just shooting a reply.
For you to consider bowdenja, I was in an officer involved shooting in 1999 while tracking a meth cook through some woods with my dog ( that doesn't Bite) Mr. dope cook cut down on my self and two other officers with an AR15 Don't intend to be telling war stories the moral here is that I then carried a 8 shot .45 auto, The subject engaged us at a range of arround 80yds. In that situation being in the woods with extended range (possible at the lake?)my 8 shot pistol was way short. My two partners with M4s saved my bacon. I carry a high cap pistol now.

GRIZZ
05-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Cuz its fun to talk about guns. I'm surprised no one has suggested a desert eagle .50 yet.

You seen to be very knowledgeable on firearms and you stated you already own a number of them, why are you asking others of there opion on this, you have a answere if seems for everything for every opion that is offered to you, and you already stated you carry a weapon on fishing trips.
I'm not trying to be ugly, I just don't believe you need any advice on which weapon you need you already have enought knowledge from your other guns
to decide that.
spider rig man

bobberwatcher
05-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Not for sure the laws in MS, but I "had" a concealed permit here in AR. (Didn't renew cuz I was broke and didn't have the cash on-hand). What I did learn from class was the only time you can use deadly force is if you or someone is in grave fear for your/their life. Basically it is either you or him kinda thing. Once you pull off that shot, you can't get it back. If you have been drinking, that is an automatic strike against you. Your credibility is on shaky ground for sure. By law, (this REALLY surprised me) if a man breaks into your house and walks in and sits on your couch and watches TV and does not in anyway threaten you, then you are not allowed to use deadly force. Know your laws and be ready to deal with your actions and everything that follows them. My instructor guarenteed us all that if we ever did use deadly force, you will lose ALOT of sleep over it.

bowdenja
05-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys............... really I do appreciate all the posts!

Ummmmmmm........... I HAD a post almost finished and lost the dang thing to keystroke error so this is a re-do.

A big THANK YOU to everyone for the post........... again. Many different things went into MY decision to A, put a firearm in my boat all the time, B, getting down to the two firearms I have decided on to put in my boat.

So here are my two choices............. the guns.

Please don't post and say this is a piece of $#!&, or that one ain't worth squat. Or you really should spend and get a "BMW", or whatever. I have guns from both these manufacturers and have gotten GREAT service from them and would not hesitate using either one.......... for whatever I have to use them for.............plinking, playing, whatever.

Price was a BIG consideration as well as caliber, and as stated I already have gotten great service from these brands already. Also remember these are brand new guns.............coming from a reputable dealer. AND the prices listed are "going out and getting them tomorrow" prices! Picture will be posted at the bottom.......... I'm guessing.

gun A

ROSSI R462 .357 MAG. REVOLVER

current price.........$295.00

Capacity: 6
Barrel length: 2 in.
Action: double
Finish: stainless
Grip: rubber
Sights: fixed

gun B

SMITH & WESSON SIGMA .40 S&W HANDGUN

current price..........$299.00

Capacity: 10+1
Barrel length: 4-in.
Finish: stainless
Polymer frame and grip

My choice is..............(right now anyway) and decided with the help of from all you guys post and a new quarter is.....................

SMITH & WESSON SIGMA .40 S&W

Well............. there it is. I decided on this not only from the coin toss and the posted opinions, but the fact that a Small 357 would be harder to shoot, at night.

The Smith does have a longer barrel, better sight picture, and easier to pick up in a hurry. Faster, follow up shot, if needed and is a very proven round to boot.

Yes........... IF I was rich, I'd go with a Glock or a Ruger or a Colt or a H&K, heck maybe even a Desert Eagle (NOT!). Maybe even a Smith 4" 66....................

Understand that I am a HUGE fan of the 357............heck most of my guns are in the very wonderful, very versatile round............ my very first gun (ummm I still have it) was a Dan Wesson 357 Mag.......... my others include a Colt Python, the very best, most gosh awfullest beautiful piece of craftsmanship ever made, did I say SEXY! Most Definatly............. I love the 357 Mag.

But for what I wanted in a gun, that if need be, shot at night..........would be a bit harder to handle, harder to see after the two inch monster breathed fire and lead, and would be a bit louder on my old ears than the Smith.

YES......... I know the 40 will spout lots of fire and noise, but 2 inch farther away from the head does make a whole lot of difference........

THANK YOU all gain for indulging me in this post! Thank you administrator for allowing this post and for keeping this great site up.

Maybe my next post will be............... Cell phones on the water........Sink em or Save em:D I do like a good argument!

I do apologize to anyone I may have angered or offended, it was not intentional. And even though I may not agree with your opinon(s).......... I do respect them and those who believe enough in them and have the........ummmm....... guts to put them out in public, even IF they are not Politically Correct or popular. And believe it or not, will stand by you if ever you need help defending them...............REALLY!

Thanks again............... and Good Fishing and Safe Boating!...... Be Careful.

john

crappie cowboy
05-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmm................unbelieveable a Sigma!!!!, Smith's entry level
life protecter gun, Ummmmmmmmmmmmm just unbelieveable.......:rolleyes:

spider rig man

bowdenja
05-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah............. I knew that was coming.:rolleyes:

crappie cowboy
05-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Hey man I just couldn't resist it.......sorry, I'm so ashame of my self .......:D

spider rig man

bowdenja
05-04-2007, 05:45 AM
It's OK:D .............from the rap the first Sigmas got, and rightly so, I did expect that. But what I have read, both mags and online, and in gun forums.......... these are not at all like the first ones. And hey............. it was the basis for the M&P version.

Remember that this won't be beside my bed, and if by chance I loose it I won't cry as hard if it had been a Glock or Ruger, or your favorite manufacturer.:p

AND if it does prove to be a bad apple, it WILL go back, and I can always change to the Rossi.....................or look around and find that p'ed off soon to be divorced pretty little gal that is selling her soon to be EX's stuff and get a Glock for 50 bucks:p

I'll post back the results............... even IF I was wrong in picking the Sigma:o

Oh......... and If I do find the pretty little gal who is p'ed off, and wanting to sell ................ I'll tell ya'll about it.................sooner or later;) ............... now don't get mad if she tells you that some big, ugly but very nice gentleman bought all the guns she had for sale, and all the fishing equipment too!:p

Thanks again!

john

titanxt
05-04-2007, 06:17 AM
Finally something I can answer on this forum.... (I am a police officer and a lousy fisherman).

Similar to the demographic of society as a whole, you will find a portion of police officers that are against citizens arming themselves. However, I am not one of those officers. There are certain truths about the world in which we live that you can wish away, but are nonetheless irrefutable.

1. No police department in the United States is mandated to PROTECT you from harm. We are only required to investigate societal crimes and attempt to introduce the responsible parties to the legal justice system.

This may seem contrary to what people might think, but police departments do not get sued for failure to protect anyone from crime. If police departments were mandated to PROTECT all of society then any individual who becomes a victim of a crime could hold the jurisdictional department liable.

2. You will be a victim or survivor of a crime long before any police officer arrives on the scene.

Unlike on “C.S.I.” police officers are not able to magically solve crimes in an hour, see microscopic threads of evidence with the naked eye, nor do we have a “Spidy-sense” that allows us to know where the current crime is being committed.

YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN TO DEFEND YOUR SELF OR BECOME A VICTIM.

3. If you need a firearm for personal protection, said firearm needs to be carried on your person.

First, firearms stored in vehicles, boats, motorhomes, etc. are stolen at an alarming rate. Even if you plan on occasionally storing a firearm in your boat you will greatly increase the odds of that weapon being stolen. (Case in point… See on the news where the SWAT team had their vehicle broken into a few days ago while they were eating?) Additionally, you may need that firearm inside of the gas station, store, etc. that you just entered.

At the time you need a firearm for protection, you will likely need it NOW.

Firearms out of reach or inaccessible are useless tools. I teach our officers to carry off-duty 100% of the time. You never know when, where, or how you might be part of a crime or be able to stop a crime with the immediate possession of a firearm. When fishing in a boat, I will often remove my firearm and place it in an accessible area while in the middle of the water. However, when approaching shore, marina’s, etc. I secure that firearm on my person. It becomes routine…

4. Carry whatever gun (revolver or semi-auto) you can shoot well.

My only thoughts outside of the above is that more rounds may allow you to affect more individuals. However, higher round capacities can promote a feeling of “I can just keep shooting poorly and one bullet will find the target”. Whether you carry six rounds or seventeen, make the first one count.

5. Check your state’s gun laws and see if you can obtain a carry permit.

Stay legal no matter what. If you live in a state that does not allow you to protect yourself, move. :D You never know, fishing and hunting may be the next to go in that state along with the increase of violent crime rate.

I hope this helps. Stay safe.

papasage
05-04-2007, 06:23 AM
i think every one should have a gun and know how to use it . you may never need it but it will be there . you wouldn`t leave home without a spare tire . i have one and never used it . as far as a boat ramp that you can feel safe at it will ahve a crowd of people or a law inforcement officer there . then i still wouldn`t be there without protection . as far as schools there should be some adults like teachers and principal have a gun handy just incase . all school shootings would have ben prevented or less students killed if some resposable adults had a gun and knew how to use it and would if need be .like it or not it will be that way .

joejv4
05-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Yep, like a lot of other folks said, I'd much rather have a gun and never need it than to need one and not have one.

3's
05-04-2007, 09:27 AM

Stay legal no matter what. If you live in a state that does not allow you to protect yourself, move. :D You never know, fishing and hunting may be the next to go in that state along with the increase of violent crime rate.

Living in a state that doesn't allow sucks. Sad thing is that moving is not always an option. Still stay within the law but there is something else you can do. Be a proponent and a voice to get these laws changed. Do away with the "it will never happen to me" attitude towards any giun control. Give an inch and they will take a mile. just look at iL!:mad:

old fuzzy
05-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I carry a GLOCK 17: Polymer Frame; 17 rounds in mag; plus one in chamber;
Keep it locked and loaded and just pull the trigger; dont need to see them just know which way they were headed. Also; have Laser Grip Sights; hit them in the eyes with the Laser and they are blind. Also; get you some Federal Personal Defense Hollow Point Ammo; dont want any Lawsuits Later.a glock 17,17 rounds+1 = 18 add a laser light attachment and your in business,,just hit them with that red dot and watch them haul a-- may just end the problem right then and there and no shots fired,,hopefully

skiptomylu
05-04-2007, 10:10 AM
My .02 cents is if the auto is a Glock or Sig I would probably go with that.

I have a SS pocket pistol that I some times carry in my boat and it's a .22 Mag. Now while I know it's not anything like a .40 S&W I would hate to get shot with a .22 Mag. It is a true pocket picsol so it's not for long shots, LOL!

I do have to admit to having a lot of hand guns so for me to have this pocket pistol is not like my only option. I have a .40 Sig as well as the .357 Sig and .40 Glock. I also have a custom 911 .45 if I want to drive nails. I have others but these are my favorites. I do have a couple of revolvers like S&W blue and SS .38 and a SS S&W .357 Mag.

I keep the Glock 23c .040 in my truck. I like it's size hand grip better than the larger Glock 22.

The Sig .357 is one hot little mama and other than the .357 mag it's the fastest and has more knock down power than the others, even the .45 except when using the +p shells.

smoothlures
05-04-2007, 10:20 AM
For the folks saying wave the gun around and scare them off, that's not a good idea... You'd probably wind up having legal trouble. You're threatening them and you don't have proof that you were fearing for your life. Before you take your gun out you must be fearing for your life and when you pull it out you should have no other option than to kill the man in front of you because you exhausted every other possibility to get out of that situation and it is not possible to or you are 100% convinced that before you could he will cause you bodily harm...

minnowsoaker
05-04-2007, 10:44 AM
simple rule I was taught from my dad...

Never point a gun at anything unless you intend to shoot it.

Never shoot anything unless you intend to kill it.

bowdenja
05-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Well............. after a trip to my local pawn shop I have made a choice, and it is not either of the guns listed................ boy was that a sigh of relief I just heard spider rig man:D

For the same money I picked up a almost new Taurus Millennium PT 111 in 9mm.....................pictured below.

I know it's a lesser caliber than what I wanted, but it is a smaller package, better quaility firearm that I will not have a problem using if need be. And hey I can always swap out with one of the small 357 I already have.

Figured y'all wanted to know.......................Thanks again guys!

john

smoothlures
05-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Here's to you never having to use it.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/Sloppy_Snood/smiliespart2/3837c094.gif

Doodlesock
05-04-2007, 12:48 PM
I agree, I hope you never have to use it.

Thought 1:
Don't brandish a weapon. You can get in a lot of hot water for that alone.
If you feel threatened it is wise to put your hand on your gun and keep it there without ever exposing it. Someone up to no good will likely know whats up and may leave you alone in favor of someone else. If they don't then you are that much more ready to defend yourself or others.

Thought 2:
Someone else said this....
"4. Carry whatever gun (revolver or semi-auto) you can shoot well.

My only thoughts outside of the above is that more rounds may allow you to affect more individuals. However, higher round capacities can promote a feeling of “I can just keep shooting poorly and one bullet will find the target”. Whether you carry six rounds or seventeen, make the first one count. "

I was glad to read it and was thinking it as well.
REMEMBER THIS, YOU CANNOT COUNT ON MISSING FAST ENOUGH OR ENOUGH TIMES TO WIN A GUNFIGHT!

crappie cowboy
05-04-2007, 01:16 PM
bowdenja, I have a question, you said you have other guns at home and was wondering what kind are they, and could you not have put one of them in the boat OR was you just wanting another gun?
I really believe that you love the auto, nothing wrong with that. Maybe you could trade in some guns on a top of the line auto like Skip was speaking of.
The old Colt 1911, Sig, are as good as you can get imop, and they hold value
much better than others, your life is the most valueable thing you have, never
try to scrimp on things like this.
Have you seen these guys with a $25,000 motorcycle wearing a $50.00 helment to protect there head, or someone with a $200,000 house and go to
Freds Dollar Store and buy $10.00 door locks....you get the picture here?
I'm not making fun of you really, I have picked at you my last post simply because you were waiting for it and asking for it...hehe.
I'm just thinking of other ways for you to get a top notch auto that will defend you and your family til the fighting end.

Your friend in arms.............spider rig man

superdave1984
05-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Personally, I would carry a small caliber and the cheapest one I could get that is reliable. My reasoning is most folks just seeing a handgun will leave you alone. The shooting itself will attract attention. And usually from other folks that have guns. Secondly, don't spend a lot of money on something that you have a good chance of dropping to the bottom. But you do want it to work if you need it. And lets hope you just have to pop a snake instead of a person.

beenfishin?
05-04-2007, 01:41 PM
[

I hope this helps. Stay safe.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone here realize that states can't keep you from carrying a weapon, concealed or not, cus the constitution says we have the right to "keep and BEAR arms". If the NRA would get behind one person who has been charged with haveing a concealed weapon and push it all the way to the supreme court, that would end all these dang "control" laws. Those laws should be called "control removal" cus thats what they do. If we can't have guns, then the criminals will. Remember, they are criminals cus they don't obey the law so why would they obey gun laws?????? Any how, take away our guns and you get freedom for the lawless to do as they please.. Just my thoughts. Also, I don't support the NRA any more cuss I have decided that they are wasting money on lobbying rather than protecting us in court. THat is where laws are made or unmade.

dogboy
05-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Make sure to keep it clean
Break it in
Check your mag springs to ensure they don't compress....(big one causes a lot of malfunctions)
get ammo that has chrome cases instead of brass
it will do fine, just have to look after it more than some other pistols
KW

wbl2014
05-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Wow, 8 page's on one subject, can't do that with a fishing post. Still a good question. My pick go with a 45, S+W make a modal 4513TSW, look it up on there site. It is what I carry hear in Florida. Never know if you have to put a gator down. Was fishing just the other day from the bank on a canal, one came up less then 5 feet from me. Always cleen the gun just like your fishing real and pole.

skiptomylu
05-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Well............. after a trip to my local pawn shop I have made a choice, and it is not either of the guns listed................ boy was that a sigh of relief I just heard spider rig man:D

For the same money I picked up a almost new Taurus Millennium PT 111 in 9mm.....................pictured below.

I know it's a lesser caliber than what I wanted, but it is a smaller package, better quaility firearm that I will not have a problem using if need be. And hey I can always swap out with one of the small 357 I already have.

Figured y'all wanted to know.......................Thanks again guys!

john

Congrats, Looks like a nice hand gun, but I just never shot one of them. I like every gun I have and any I didn't like I traded them back in for another.

Good Luck and hope you don't even need it.

I do have a carry permit and wouldn't have any problem using one if needed.

Skip

turkeyfootnc
05-04-2007, 03:14 PM
[

. Also, I don't support the NRA any more cuss I have decided that they are wasting money on lobbying rather than protecting us in court. THat is where laws are made or unmade.

I don't care much for the NRA either. They seem more interested in spending money on letters to members asking for donations and paying people to call members to ask dumb questions while trying to get donations. Of the untold how many million members they have is $35 a year not enough?

bowdenja
05-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks again guys!

No I really don't want to HAVE to use the gun......... bu really better safe than DEAD.

I'll keep it clean and the mags check................ Also yes I do have a few guns and yes I wanted another gun just to keep in the boat................my Rugers, Colts, Smiths and others I really would not like to lose.

I am one of those guys like Skip, I buy what I want............ keep what I buy, and IF I did get something that wasn't up to my expectations trade and get something else................... so far only happened two times.

So I WILL put this to the paces................run a couple of hundred rounds through it, if it meets my expectations it's a keeper, IF NOT it'll be gone and I'll try one of the others I have gotten down too.

NRA........... yes seems that they always ask for money............ but there ain't no other shop open.......... so yes they do DO something and that is worth helping...............NO ONE ELSE stands up for our rights so help them out if not for just that..............and it may seem like a waste to always sent letters asking for more money, but they must work(get extra domations) or they would not send them out. Just my opinion............. and y'all know what those are like!

Yes I too was surprised at the number of posts and the quality of those that posted............. good ideas printed and good concerns too!

Thanks again!

john

FalconSmitty
05-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Falcon Smitty

What I carry for the water lice is a Wam O Sling shot. Put about 3 split shots in the pouch and let er fly. Then just drop it. pick up your fishing rod.;)

Good idea. I think I'll shoot on their third pass..plus if they do call the marine cops just drop it over the side

Carl Palmer
05-06-2007, 06:11 PM
[

Does anyone here realize that states can't keep you from carrying a weapon, concealed or not, cus the constitution says we have the right to "keep and BEAR arms". If the NRA would get behind one person who has been charged with haveing a concealed weapon and push it all the way to the supreme court, that would end all these dang "control" laws. Those laws should be called "control removal" cus thats what they do. If we can't have guns, then the criminals will. Remember, they are criminals cus they don't obey the law so why would they obey gun laws?????? Any how, take away our guns and you get freedom for the lawless to do as they please.. Just my thoughts. Also, I don't support the NRA any more cuss I have decided that they are wasting money on lobbying rather than protecting us in court. THat is where laws are made or unmade.[/QUOTE]

That is your opinion....My opinion is IF the NRA wasn't there to protect yours and mine rights , Who would be?? The NRA works more effectfully with the more the better members signed up resulting in large numbers of supporters. I beleive in my heart that IF THE NRA was not there we would have lost all rights to guns years ago. There IS NO ONE ELSE out there fighting for your rights to "keep and bear arms"
The large membership is also what is keeping these poll concious senaters from trying to take away what rights we have. I would like to ask you and all other firearms owners to support the NRA The best way you can.

FalconSmitty
05-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Finally something I can answer on this forum.... (I am a police officer and a lousy fisherman).

Similar to the demographic of society as a whole, you will find a portion of police officers that are against citizens arming themselves. However, I am not one of those officers. There are certain truths about the world in which we live that you can wish away, but are nonetheless irrefutable.

1. No police department in the United States is mandated to PROTECT you from harm. We are only required to investigate societal crimes and attempt to introduce the responsible parties to the legal justice system.

This may seem contrary to what people might think, but police departments do not get sued for failure to protect anyone from crime. If police departments were mandated to PROTECT all of society then any individual who becomes a victim of a crime could hold the jurisdictional department liable.

2. You will be a victim or survivor of a crime long before any police officer arrives on the scene.

Unlike on “C.S.I.” police officers are not able to magically solve crimes in an hour, see microscopic threads of evidence with the naked eye, nor do we have a “Spidy-sense” that allows us to know where the current crime is being committed.

YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN TO DEFEND YOUR SELF OR BECOME A VICTIM.

3. If you need a firearm for personal protection, said firearm needs to be carried on your person.

First, firearms stored in vehicles, boats, motorhomes, etc. are stolen at an alarming rate. Even if you plan on occasionally storing a firearm in your boat you will greatly increase the odds of that weapon being stolen. (Case in point… See on the news where the SWAT team had their vehicle broken into a few days ago while they were eating?) Additionally, you may need that firearm inside of the gas station, store, etc. that you just entered.

At the time you need a firearm for protection, you will likely need it NOW.

Firearms out of reach or inaccessible are useless tools. I teach our officers to carry off-duty 100% of the time. You never know when, where, or how you might be part of a crime or be able to stop a crime with the immediate possession of a firearm. When fishing in a boat, I will often remove my firearm and place it in an accessible area while in the middle of the water. However, when approaching shore, marina’s, etc. I secure that firearm on my person. It becomes routine…

4. Carry whatever gun (revolver or semi-auto) you can shoot well.

My only thoughts outside of the above is that more rounds may allow you to affect more individuals. However, higher round capacities can promote a feeling of “I can just keep shooting poorly and one bullet will find the target”. Whether you carry six rounds or seventeen, make the first one count.

umm just forget about that short shotgun.:eek:

Jason280
05-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Check your mag springs to ensure they don't compress....(big one causes a lot of malfunctions)
KW

I think you may be a little mistaken here. Leaving a magazine loaded (spring compressed) does not damage the spring. Cycling (loading/unloading) is what does the most damage.

get ammo that has chrome cases instead of brass

Do you mean nickle-plated cases? If so, why do you recommend these over brass?