Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto Pistol or Revolver??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Auto Pistol or Revolver??

Not trying to offend anyone, just looking for honest opinions.

I fish alone, and even thought I'm 6' 250 lbs, I am getting, ummmmm (cough)older (cough) and returning back to the landing after dark, with all the horror stories happening in our paradise of a world we have, I AM going to keep a firearm in my boat for protection. This decision is made, my enigma is what gun/caliber.

I consider myself very knowledgeable and savvy as far as firearms are concerned so I have made my choices to two guns/caliber, I am very comfortable risking life and limb with either guns............ brand really doesn't matter, they both are Named and reliable brands............Oh.......... price doesn't matter, suffices to say there is only $5 USD difference between the two models I have choosen............... no I'm not going to say which is cheaper:D

Both guns will be stainless.......or stainless/polymer frame for the auto.

gun A .......... 6 shot 2" 357 Magnum Stainless Steel

gun B .......... 10+1 shot 4" 40 S&W Stainless/Polymer frame

I have guns in both these caliber so ammo isn't much of a problem............ I know the stopping power of both, my concern, if you will, is why you would pick one over the other and what argument you have for that choice.

If this does offend or you think this is not a "PC" post............. umm........ sorry go to another post, please don't lecture me on how bad guns are........... 20+ years of government work and 10+ years running a convenience store makes me jaded as to the type of people who co-habitat our society....... present company excluded!

So thanks for your opinions................ my final decision has not been made yet, but I am leaning toward one over the other.................

The stump is unoccupied.................
    Last edited by bowdenja; 05-02-2007 at 02:29 PM.
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

for the boat I'd go with the revolver. less parts and more reliable.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking You shouldn't be able to own a gun!

JUST KIDDING!!!
    I'd have to pick the revolver too... for the same reason.
    Today's auto pistols are pleny reliable but in a humid, potentially neglected environment of a boat a wheel gun is more apt to do it's job reliably.
    Tell us what you settle on and why if you don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like

go with the auto. It's more aggressive looking and would intimidate the heck out of a dude if you started waving it around. He might just flee in self defense without your firing a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the sawed off 12 guage model myself.

Jusy jokin on that.

I have a question though first.
    Why the 357? Seems a little much for PP to me.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Gun B - make would however be GLOCK. My main reason would be familiarity. I've been carrying one for the past 15 or so years. Only 2 stopages ever, both attributed to practice (cheap) ammo. Both were cleared and the weapon was firing w/i a matter of seconds. If someone were to grab a hold of your GLOCK you would still be able to get a shot off. If they grabbed that same revolver and held the cylinder from moving, you would not be able to fire the weapon.(Unless the hammer was already cocked) Also - I carried a 6" S&W .38 cal for 5 years prior. I was able to fire my qualification sequences faster and more accurate with the GLOCK.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a .25 special pop gun. When I fish nights I have a cough "short" cough
    Shotgun 20ga in the rod box if I think of it.Times are rough so ya never know. I fish in a meth infested area.
    Remember DI's sig..."Shoot'em in da Face" I have said for years i wanted a ryder bb gun to shoot lake lice.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take the .40 S&W, hands down. I think I'm reading what you said wrong, but you're not leaving it in the boat are you? Then you will have no problems of a fully functional firearm if you take care of your guns.
    For why, the .357 just isn't my cup of tea. The 2 inch barrel and the small gun will not be fun to shoot, which you should do if you're going to have it as a 'carry' gun.
    The .40 has plenty of stopping power, plus you have enough bullets for 'his buddies' too. It will be a smaller auto pistol, but it'll still be big enough to shoot.
    Lastly, the ammo, you need a good personal defense round either way. Find which shoots best in your gun, but I like Speer's Gold Dot ammo.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with smoothlures.....also if you ever wanted to resell or trade your gun I think you'd do better with the auto.

Post Thanks / Like

I choose B. More bullets equals more oportunities.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast