Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transducer trouble please help!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transducer trouble please help!!!!

Does anyone know if you can splice a transducer cable or do you have to replace the whole thing? Thanks for your time and help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nope

There is absolutely no way you can splice a cable. You will have to order the whole new cable...... sorry.
    Crouch & Hengstler Team Vicious, Southern Pro, Crappie Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Treefish
    There is absolutely no way you can splice a cable. You will have to order the whole new cable...... sorry.
    I would have to argue with you on this. The very first time I took my boat out with my depth finder/sonar, whatever you want to call it, I got into some grass and pulled the trolling motor up to get it off and when I put it back down it clean cut the wires coming from my transducer. I spiced it back together and have had no problem with it. Probably used it 50 times since then and it worked fine every time. I have a Humminbird, so others may be different. This one has 2 wires in it that have a thin layer of silver wrap around them. I unwrapped the silver stuff and spiced one wire and taped it good, then the other wire and taped it, then rewrapped the silver stuff around it. One thing I did was cut the wires so that they were offset and it didn't make a big lump where they were... I say go for it, electrical tape is much cheaper than a new transducer..... On another note, if the splice is gonna be submerged in the water, electrical tape may not hold up, but maybe some heat shrink wire insulation would seal off.. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I cut my Hummingbird cable too. It had 3 wires and the silver stuff, and I spliced it with no trouble. Just be sure you tape it up good. Been using mine for a couple weeks since the splice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pstone
    I cut my Hummingbird cable too. It had 3 wires and the silver stuff, and I spliced it with no trouble. Just be sure you tape it up good. Been using mine for a couple weeks since the splice.
    Now that you mention it, i think mine had 3 wires also. It's been a few months since it happened....lol
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slices

I had a Hummingbird also and tried to splice mine. I thought it was good to go but I started getting false readings on the screen. Showing stuff that wasn't there. Spent $50 and solved that problem and im a little more careful now:D

Post Thanks / Like

heres my 2cents .....I was told by a factory rep....no you cannot splice them........didn't try...just bought a new one
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, try it. If it works, great, if not, buy one. Nothin to lose by tryin. But if you don't try and it would work, then you lost whatever it cost to buy one. As for asking dealers and factory reps, their job is to SELL, so don't you think they would say it won't work even if it would??
    Brian

Will fish for food!

crankbaitsteve Guest

Mine broke on my fish Id 2 depth-finder. I spliced it back together and it did fine. but then it broke in the connector and there's no way to repair is so i bought a extension and cut it in half and spliced in right end and it works fine. The cable extension is like 10 bucks so that's was the cheapest way out. Well all good with my transducer coaxial cable then guess what. My power cord shorts out at the depth-finder connection end to and as i said before .no way to repair. So what i did then was got some reg. wire connectors and crimped them to fit snugly on the connections on the finder, Then plunged them in to the back of the finder Then i added a zip tie to keep them from being pulled out. alligator clips on the other end of the wires for the battery and it's been working great for about 6 months. and i fish a lot i take my fish finder off at home so i do have to take the power cord with it. but it fits in the plastic case for the depth-finder just fine . anyway hope this helps. and sorry i went so long on this post. but i didn't want to spend 60 dollars on a new transducer when all that was messed up was the cable. Plus.That's my bait money

Post Thanks / Like

Go to your auto parts store and get some heat shrink butt connectors.When you shrink them they have a sealant in them that oozes out of them and makes them weather proof.:D I use them at work every day and they are great.This way if the splice is below the surface the water wont bother it.
    Last edited by hogster; 05-02-2007 at 07:35 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast