Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting started Jig tying

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting started Jig tying

Howdy yall. I think I want to start tying my own jigs. I think it will be a relaxing hobby plus the satisfaction I would get from catching fish on jigs I tied myself. I don't want to break the bank getting started. Does anyone have a list of tools I need to get started? Also a good place to buy materials? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

some folks have suggested buying a starter fly tying kit from cabelas or from Bass Pro Shops. These kits will have assorted tools of the trade and some materials. You will probably have to supply your own jig heads.

for follow up materials, you can go to barlows.com or jannsnetcraft.com for starters. Both places have all kinds of hair, flashaboo, thread, body materials, and thread sealer(head cement). for thread sealer i just use clear finger nail polish. Both places also have jig heads painted and unpainted. there are also fellows on this forum that can fix you up with heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Vise - holds the jig.
    Bobbin - used to apply thread. (I'd get 3-4 so you can use different colors w/o re-threading).
    Bodkin - needle w/handle. Used for many purposes.
    Scissors - get a good pair. You'll use them a ton.
    Head Cement - I prefer Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails" fingernail polish.

Those are the basics. There are many others. I live close to a Bass Pro, so I get most of my materials there. Just make sure to match your thread to your chenille.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

I tie my own jigs for panfish and steelhead and I enjoy it alot, I also build custom Float rods and Ice fishing jiggin rods, its a great treat to you and others!! keeps me sane when things get nuts!! You can accuire your stuff a little at a time depending onnthe jigs you want to tie! I have been tying some nice crappie jigs and stellie jigs. Some of the things they say you will need you wont since your not tying flies!! Send me an e-mail and I will send you pics of the jigs I tied this week, theres no better feeling then catching a nice slab or big bull bream on a jig you tied!! Good luck and tight lines
    I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I was looking at the kits but I was affraid I would get a bunch of stuff I would never use. has anyone tried any of the kits? If so which would you suggest?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigones
    Yeah I was looking at the kits but I was affraid I would get a bunch of stuff I would never use. has anyone tried any of the kits? If so which would you suggest?
    I started with the jig kit from BPS. I don't think there is anything in it I haven't used. I believe they have 2 of them, one for flys and one for jigs. If you get it there be sure you get the ones for jigs.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto what IBNFSHN said! It has all you need to get started.
    Future member of any forum deathb4disco moderates.

Member of Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

If you get the kit, you will find a use for all the tools. I didn't get one. I have a vise and a pair of sicsors. All I need. Tie any jig I want.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the BPS Kit and tied my first jigs ever last night.

I'm sure glad no one could see them.

There are a few things jigs of different sizes in the kit. It didn't take long to use them up. I think I'll cut off what I put on and try again.

I took em out this morning for my third trip of the year.:o

The fish didn't like them either.

Gas: 3 dollars

Trip: third

Fish: skunked third time.:D
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I can't find barlows.com.
    At least not for tying material.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast