Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello and a few questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello and a few questions.

First off, hello folks. Secondly, I'm experienced in fishing with minnows under a float, but that's about the extent of it. I do catch a few crappie at the pond across the road but I don't have a depth finder and the visible cover you can see is bass territory and is only 5 or so feet deep. I wind up fishing that or drifting around the deeper parts of the pond and I do ok. I'm thinking maybe there are a few bigger crappie around, and I'm just catching the smaller ones because of where I'm fishing? Anyway, I have a few glow in the dark yellow chartreuse jig heads that need 1 more coating plus eyes and a clear coat or two, and I was wondering what people's favorite hair/marabou color/combinations are and if anyone ties in hackle?

Post Thanks / Like

You can't go wrong if it includes chartreuse.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! When you start fishing jigs instead of minnows, you'll probably notice some larger fish. Combine that with trying to fish a little deeper, and you'll almost certainly find larger crappie. I don't know where you're from (and if your state is not touching OK, I'm probably not your best source), but here in Oklahoma you can adequately fish just about every condition with different combinations of black, white, pink, and of course chartreuse. Darker/contrasting colors like black/chart or black/pink when it's cloudy or the water is murky. Lighter (and more natural) colors like white/silver when the water is clear and the sun is out.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard. It would help to know where you are fishing.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from North Carolina!

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings and welcome from California...

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcomes folks. I'm in South Carolina, near Columbia. However, I am looking for input from anyone anywhere, as I'm thinking about getting in the lure business and would like to be selling crappie jigs as well as some other stuff. I know the few obvious choices, like white/chartreuse, olive green/white, ect to mimic baitfish or whatnot, but I don't know many other color combinations. I'll give black/chartreuse or pink a shot, it sounds good to me.
    For personal use, I fish very clear water. You can see probably 3 feet down on a good day, maybe more. So would I be better sticking with lighter colors? There are no shad or minnow colored baitfish in the pond, just bream, and when fishing for bass if I ever use a white bait, I catch nothing when I could change the color and do great. I'll post a picture of one of my jigs in a few after the cement dries.

Post Thanks / Like

It's about 3 inches long with the longest hairs. Floursecent green over chartreuse marabou over white hair.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Spro Crappie jigs in chartruse and fawn, their heavy enough to cast and seem to do well swimming the jig over brush and other cover
    Stinkies Daddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast