PDA

View Full Version : The best Trolling Motor

Bob G
04-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Hello all, I have a question. What is your favorite brand of trolling motor and why? The reason I am asking, I bought a Minnkota 2 yrs ago and the rear bearing and seal rubbed a grove in the armature and water got in to the motor and of course it is not working at the moment.
I was looking at the motor guides and reading reviews and there is a lot of complaints about the gator mount 360, most of the reviews were in 2006. Has motorguide fixed the problems?
Sorry for all the questions but, I would like to spend my money on a good product. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I should include that I am looking for a bow mount trolling motor.

fishman78
04-30-2007, 02:40 PM
I just replaced the motorguide on my tracker after 8 years of faithfull service. It still worked but after Ive rammed it into the trailer, almost got on plane with it still down, crashed it into hundreds if not thousands of docks, stumps, trees, rocks and broke the fin off of it while trying to straighten the shaft after before mentioned trailer ramming, it was a bit hard to steer so I bought a used one of the same make and model and thats how much I like motorguide. I still keep it as a backup in case I decide to try and drive the boat on the trailer again without lifting the trolling motor first.

May she rest in peace;)
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/troutman_r/DSC01070.jpg

DENNIS WILLIS
04-30-2007, 07:42 PM
I also like the motorguide, got a new one and it had the gator mount and i got a part in the mail(ain`t put it on yet cause i have not had any trouble with the other one) it was a collar which goes in the brackett up top. May be what you had heard of.You know what they say about opinions.......Dennis I did not order the part it just showed up in the mail one day...Good Fishing

Crappiefanatic
05-01-2007, 01:21 AM
motorguide;)

Ken Kinser
05-01-2007, 03:13 AM
I swear by MotorGuide, have had 3 in the last 20 yrs, all still worked when i replaced them, just wanted a newer one. never had the first problem with them.

Jerry Hancock
05-01-2007, 06:26 AM
I have a motorguide but it will be my last. It is a herky jerky piece of junk compared to a minn Kota. My next t/m will be a M/K Maxim.

rockmike
05-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Minn Kota---hands down.

JET4
05-01-2007, 06:41 AM
I've had Minn Kota and Motorguide on 2 different boats. One was just as good as the other. Never had a problem with either one.

FishnLine
05-01-2007, 06:59 AM
I have a motor guide and I've not had any trouble with it at all. I read some of the same reviews you've read. If motor guide has corrected their problem and I decide to get another one when mine quits, I will get a motor guide.

Barnacle Bill
05-01-2007, 07:49 AM
I will never own another motorguide!!!!!

rangertee
05-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Here's something very important to keep in mind. Find out where the closest repair/parts/service shop is to where you fish. That's where you fish, not where you live. Buy whatever brand they recommend and/or would rather work on and have parts available. I fish Toledo Bend and am on a first name basis with the local troll motor shop near my place there. They prefer Motorguide, and if I have a problem with my unit, they will loan me one of theirs until mine is ready, as they say ...to keep me fishin. There is a major troll motor repair shop in Houston, bout 40 minutes north of where
I live. Those idiots are some real jerks, I wouldn't buy a wire connector from them:mad: . Plus I'd have to remove the troll motor from the boat for them to check it. I guarantee you if you fish alot, you WILL have troll motor troubles, maybe not the unit itself always, but everything from the prop to the batteries. Troubleshooting can be a head scratcher sometimes, and when I'm at the lake, I want to be fishin, not fixin. ;)

backtocrappie
05-01-2007, 10:41 AM
I have 2 Motorguides, bow mount and transome mount both work flawlessly.

boatman44
05-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Motorguide for me,try the new wireless series with the wireless foot pedal and the wireless remote its awesome and comes with removeable bracket, and wireless foot pedal, you have to buy the f.o.b. around 50.00 bucks, I got a 75# thrust, 24 volts. quick disconnect and hand held remote around 700.00

mistertwister
05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
The best trolling motor is the one that serves you best and fits your budget. I have had both MG and MK and although they both are good products, the MK gives me the most. The maximizer will let you troll all day and although i dont fish enough to cycle a battery in one trip, i have the confidence in knowing that i could fish for 2-3 days on one charge and not lose any sleep over it. Now that wireless and co-pilot is available to some extent with both manufacturers, they are even more competetive. I dont think you could go wrong with each brand, and model. You will find pro's and con's to each, just go with the one that suits your needs the best.

Good Luck!
Chris

sticko
05-02-2007, 08:58 AM
I have an evinrude 12/24 troll motor fished bass tournaments for years run the thing solid for 8 to 10 hours a day has it for over 6 years have never had a problem with it . it has a light on the turn indicator for night fishing. Has a lot of power to hold or run in the wind.but repaired at any evinrude dealer if need repaired. can buy reasonably on e bay.
~sticko~

Bob G
05-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks for all the input.

Sticko, I have a 12 volt evinrude that came with the boat when I bought it new 15yrs ago. The only problem I had with it was a magnet came loose and jammed up the armature. I pulled motor apart epoxyed the magnet back in place and the thing still runs. The only problem is that it doesn't have enough power when it is windy. I am going to put it on for this weekend and leave it on till the new one arrives.
Does evinrude still make trolling motors? If not I think I will try motor guide this time out.

Thanks for all the help.

3's
05-02-2007, 09:23 AM
I have had both in the past but I got to say that the MK Maxum is the bomb. The varibale speed is great and super smooth.

PanMan_VA
05-02-2007, 10:18 AM
I have used variable speed models from both MG and MK. They all worked great.

BANDIT
05-02-2007, 10:32 AM
MK for me.

creekslick
05-02-2007, 11:26 AM
If you are going to troll you need a variable speed in either brand.

wefish
05-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Have had both and found no fault with either. It's a toss-up