Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slabmaster 3/26-3/28 Watts Bar Lake Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Slabmaster 3/26-3/28 Watts Bar Lake Crappie

Took my dad fishing on Watts Bar Thursday-Saturday. Me, my brother and my dad got our limits on Thursday and Friday. Fish averaged between 11" and 16". Biggest ran around 2lbs. Most were females. We caught our fish in the Piney River area. Sorry Crappiepappy, we were doing so good we stayed put around Spring City area. Thanks for your help! The crappie were all caught shallow trolling a 1/16 oz. roadrunner chartreuse head with black and chartreuse curly tail. Fish were near the surface in 4-6' of water. We caught a few casting to submerged trees that were in 10' of water. Never fished any docks, didn't have to. We caught the majority of our fish in Wolf Creek back in the creeks loaded with stumps. The white crappie will be in on the banks this week. We caught a few on the banks but did better off the banks over the weekend. Biggest stringer of crappie we have ever caught. We really caught some nice fish! It rained 2 of the 3 days we were there, plus 10-20 mph winds, including a tornado Thursday. This week would the be the week to go for the slabs on Watts Bar!
    Good Fishin!
    Bassky
    Dave

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink No apologies necessary, my man .......

Quote Originally Posted by Bassky
    Took my dad fishing on Watts Bar Thursday-Saturday. Me, my brother and my dad got our limits on Thursday and Friday. Fish averaged between 11" and 16". Biggest ran around 2lbs. Most were females. We caught our fish in the Piney River area. Sorry Crappiepappy, we were doing so good we stayed put around Spring City area. Thanks for your help! The crappie were all caught shallow trolling a 1/16 oz. roadrunner chartreuse head with black and chartreuse curly tail. Fish were near the surface in 4-6' of water. We caught a few casting to submerged trees that were in 10' of water. Never fished any docks, didn't have to. We caught the majority of our fish in Wolf Creek back in the creeks loaded with stumps. The white crappie will be in on the banks this week. We caught a few on the banks but did better off the banks over the weekend. Biggest stringer of crappie we have ever caught. We really caught some nice fish! It rained 2 of the 3 days we were there, plus 10-20 mph winds, including a tornado Thursday. This week would the be the week to go for the slabs on Watts Bar!
    Good Fishin!
    Bassky
    Dave
    Sounds like ya'll did it up right !! My hat's off to ya Hope "Dad" got his share :D Did you guys take any pics ?? Sounds like I may have to get some "directions" from you, next time .... LOL!! Really glad you got into them, in spite of the weather conditions, and I'm sure Dad had a blast !!

...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Watts Bar

Crappiepappy,
    Dad had a blast. We would fish until 12-1 in the mornings with dad. Come in, drop him off at the cabin and we would clean our fish and then eat lunch. Then we would go right back out. We wore ourselves out! Dad couldn't handle going back out again. He needed his afternoon nap and went and visited old friends from Spring City. We got into them pretty good. We didn't realize the what the new limit was on crappie until Saturday. Didn't it use to be 30 a few years back? Luckily we didn't go over 45 per day. We also caught some huge redears, 10-11"! This was a bonus. Not many but it added to our fishfry! Wish I was down there this week. They should be on the banks big time.
    Bassky

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Limit change .....

Quote Originally Posted by Bassky
    Crappiepappy,
    Dad had a blast. We would fish until 12-1 in the mornings with dad. Come in, drop him off at the cabin and we would clean our fish and then eat lunch. Then we would go right back out. We wore ourselves out! Dad couldn't handle going back out again. He needed his afternoon nap and went and visited old friends from Spring City. We got into them pretty good. We didn't realize the what the new limit was on crappie until Saturday. Didn't it use to be 30 a few years back? Luckily we didn't go over 45 per day. We also caught some huge redears, 10-11"! This was a bonus. Not many but it added to our fishfry! Wish I was down there this week. They should be on the banks big time.
    Bassky
    was implimented this year. Used to be 30/person/day ..... now 15/p/day !! TWRA decided to "spread the wealth", and still try and keep the size/numbers in good standing. We'll know, in a couple of years, if this has had any effect.
    Glad to hear Dad had a good time. Whereabouts did you guys stay ... and what ramp did you use ?? Might have to check out that part of the lake, one of these days. Haven't really fished past the mouth of Piney. Used to fish mostly up around the Caney Creek to Thiefneck Island stretch (early May period). Then got into the mid lake/White Creek section (early to late April period) and dock shooting :D ... ain't been back "upriver" much, since

Next most probable timeframe, for me to be on WB ........ mid Oct. ... when the Black Crappie come back under the docks, Fall Feeding Frenzy (hanging around the docks, ambushing schools of Shad that are moving into the creeks). Might have to get some "locations" from you, of some deep water docks in the Wolf/Piney section.

............. cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    was implimented this year. Used to be 30/person/day ..... now 15/p/day !! TWRA decided to "spread the wealth", and still try and keep the size/numbers in good standing. We'll know, in a couple of years, if this has had any effect.
    Glad to hear Dad had a good time. Whereabouts did you guys stay ... and what ramp did you use ?? Might have to check out that part of the lake, one of these days. Haven't really fished past the mouth of Piney. Used to fish mostly up around the Caney Creek to Thiefneck Island stretch (early May period). Then got into the mid lake/White Creek section (early to late April period) and dock shooting :D ... ain't been back "upriver" much, since

Next most probable timeframe, for me to be on WB ........ mid Oct. ... when the Black Crappie come back under the docks, Fall Feeding Frenzy (hanging around the docks, ambushing schools of Shad that are moving into the creeks). Might have to get some "locations" from you, of some deep water docks in the Wolf/Piney section.

............. cp
    We stayed at Spring City Boat Dock. They have several cabins, really nice. The boat ramp is Spring City boat ramp, right by the docks. They have a nice restaurant there as well, boat gas, covered slips,minnows, etc. The only drawback is they have no fish cleaning station. We luckily brought a cutting board with us and we just cleaned them in our covered slip on the dock. Also town is only 2 miles from the cabins. If you need locations let me know.
    Bassky