Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Charging Systems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Charging Systems

I am confused. Do the on-board charging systems (dual battery) charge the deep cycle battery from the outboard's alternator while under way, or just from a 110 hookup? Specifically the Cabela's ProSport 8.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The onboard charger takes care of the keeping batteries charged up only thru the 110 volt AC hookup. The charging system from the big motor is to keep starting battery up just like on your vehicle.

The two systems are completely seperate.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

You can add a system to charge your trolling batterys off the big motor. But from what I have heard its not worth putting this on. They say that green carp guys that do the 20-30 mile runs in there boats. That this will charge the battery some but not fully. A typical charger takes 5 or 6 hours to charge the batterys.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default on-board chargers.....

Quote Originally Posted by ol yank
    I am confused. Do the on-board charging systems (dual battery) charge the deep cycle battery from the outboard's alternator while under way, or just from a 110 hookup? Specifically the Cabela's ProSport 8.

Thanks
    ..I've read about some on-board chargers that will charge all types of ways....110v supply, 12v from boat alt.; and 12v from tow vech while going down the road...can't remember brand name---looked through all my fav's guess I didn't save it...it was thread on board somewhere but where?????????? It wasn't cheap... ....most just charge from 110v..
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

The best way to eliminate trouble when get to the ramp that morning. It take out your 2 bank charger and buy a 3 bank charger. This will charge your 2 trolling batterys and starting battery. This way incase you leave the depthfinder or something else on it wont drain the battery. Worth the money, just so you dont have what could have been a good day of fishing turn into a bad one. I do know that my opti, take alot of juice to get turned over in these cold missouri mornings. Makes me feel good knowing that have it charge to the max.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone ever hear of this?
    http://www.stayncharge.com/

Sounds interesting!

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that if our trucks and cars can keep our starting batteries charged up then a boat engine should be able to charge up the batteries on the boat while it's underway.

Optima Blue Top batteries can maintain it's charge over a years time and they charge up much faster than lead acid web batteries as they have less internal resistance ( Sales talk that needs to be confirmed). If the sales people are telling the truth then these types of batteries should charge up while you run across the lake. And with modern computer chips they should be able to design a smart charging system.

I didn't realize that most battery chargers built into the boats had to be plugged into an AC outlet to make them work. I didn't realize that they only charged up the batteries when you are at home or near an AC outlet. Been wondering how those things worked for many years not.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Oh geez Moose.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

On board only way to go. I get home, plug my cord in and forget it. All three batteries ready to go the next day. Of course you must remember to unplug it before you pull out of the drive way. But thats another story. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ol yank

Thanks
    I've heard alot of good things about the stealth charger. It charges all the batteries from the alternator on your motor and also from a/c. I haven't used one myself but there are alot of guys that swear by them. Maybe someone on here has one????

http://stealthcharging.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast