Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Caught 18 yesterday

Post Thanks / Like

Default Caught 18 yesterday

Damn that water was cold. Ice was still in the back of shallow bays. Started out in the creek and after two hours of few bites and no fish decided to go out in deep water where I should have went in the first place. Fish were what i call mouthing the bait until later in the day. Then most of them gave a good solid thump and soon afterwards found their way to the livewell. Caught the biggest bluegill in the last few years also. That rascal was a good 10 1/2 inches. The crappie were from 9" to 12" in size and so fat for their size. Looks like their on steriods.

Well I got to try my new BnM rod out along with the new Outlaw rod. Both are very sensitive with the clear winner going to the BnM Sam Heaton 12" SS rod. I' have never in my life had a crappie rod that is as sensitive as that one. I had 2 small split shots on the bottom with a size 4 hook 30" above them. I caught fish down to 26' yesterday and could feel every tap or see the tip move ever so slightly. It was hard to set that rod down. The outlaw rod is a 10' and it performed almost as well as I used it all day. It's not quite as sensitive as the BnM rod but it didn't cost as much either. It's also much lighter and the BnM ain't very heavy. I only took these two rods yesterday as I wanted to see how they performed in cold water for sensitivity. I'm so happy with both I'm going again today. This time I will only fish deep cover no creeks. Going to check out my 32' hole and see if any bigger ones are hiding there.

Is this a Moose like Post?

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Congrats

Looks like you had a pretty good day to me Lar. I also own a 12' BnM Heaton SS. I have tried a lot of rods and have not fished with one yet that can match it's Sensitivity. I would have been shocked if you had said the Outlaw was more sensitive. I'm sure the Outlaw is a great rod though. I also have Wally Marshall's and Browning long poles I like as well but, they are numbers 2 and 3 on my list. You can't beat the 12' Heaton SS
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Larry:

Sounds like you had fun. You mentioned that the Outlaw rod is lighter than the Sam's SS but it is two feet shorter, correct? Do you think a 12-foot Outlaw would be as light or lighter than a 12-foot Sam's SS?

I've not tried the outlaw poles but I sure like my Sam's SS - for sensitivity, weight and balance. I wish B&M still made the Sam’s Signature Series – it’s very similar to the Sam’s SS except it has a foam handle and it’s taken me some time to get used to the feel of the Sam’s SS after using the Sam’s Signature Series for so long.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question? I see ya/ll fiah small jigs in deep water by trolling, etc; How do ya,ll detect the bite? I find the bite so soft it hard to detect. I recently bought a 12' jig pole w/ 6lb trilene and an ultralight reel for this season. We used to fish w/canepoles and then zebco 33's on a 6' berkerly rod w/ 12 lb test. OH, did I forget to mention tha this is my 2nd season of fishing after 30 years of working for a living?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey BeauxBeaux:

When I'm vertical jigging - fishing pretty much straight down with pole-in-hand - I run the line lightly over my middle finger and against the back of my index finger to detect the lightest tap or even the lack of weight from the jig if it is picked up by a finicky crappie. I use a very sesitive pole as well - B&M Sam's Super Sensitive but I am really feeling the bite through the line and not from the pole.

I also use colored line to make it easier to see the line twitch or get slack but I don't watch my line - too busy looking at graphs and the GPS and slip-floats - I usually keep a few minnows out while I'm jigging.

Hope this helps.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

jerry i do the same thing with my index finger, once you learn what to look/feel for it can be very effective.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I agree with ya'll on that point My dad taught me that trick bottom fishing for catfish. He always used bait casting reels, but most of my buddies swore by spinning reels. Maybe I'm getting too young to feel the bite. Thanks for the idea I'll watch for more!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Same thang here

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanee King
    jerry i do the same thing with my index finger, once you learn what to look/feel for it can be very effective.
    I do about the same, but I hold my pole lightly in hand (above the reel) and use my booger finger slightly pressing the line for sensing the "tap".
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"