Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coleman lantern problem. Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coleman lantern problem. Any advice?

I've had this Coleman duel fuel for 2 weeks and used it 5 times and already having a problem. I use unleaded gasoline in it. The problem that came up last night was when I adjust the valve to full power the white light goes to full on flames shooting out of the top and when I turn it back down it goes back to normal but with less light. Anyone know what's up like I said I've used it 5 times and it shouldn't have a leak in it already should it?
    He that does the truth comes into the light
    Free the people through music!:D

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest using Coleman's fuel instead of unleaded gas.

Post Thanks / Like

few problems that can't be fixed with more pumping.

Post Thanks / Like

I Agree
    Stinkies Daddy

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of the coleman's years ago that was made to run off gasoline. It did same as yours catching on fire when lighting it. I backed off and let it burn up, then I took it back and traded it for a regular coleman fuel lantern and got a little change back. Problem was solved. :D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree about a bad lantern one of the worst investments I've made for fishing equipment. Had the same problem. Stuck it in the corner of the garage and it's still sitting there. For outdoors I like the coleman fuel lantern and for the ice shanty I like the propane tanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Since that first post I've been playing with it to see if I can tell what might be the cause and found that it's making a broken roaring sound. When I first got it it would roar steadily and now it's "sputtering". How much does that coleman fuel cost? I've looked online but can't find a price anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get colman fuel at any sporting goods store, walmart and even at grocery stores. Havnt bought any in a while but think its around 3 bucks. Not much more than unleaded gas.

IMO, unleaded fuel sould be used when colman fuel(white gas) isnt avalible. White gas will work alot better. Also, pump it, pump it, pump it. The more presure you can get into the tank, the beter it will burn. I use a lantern with the screw on propane tank. I have a dual fuel backpacking stove that has been used alot. I found most of my flare up problems are from lack of presure. Once I get it burning good, I pump the plunger until its hard to push in. You may also need a little lube on the pump shaft.

Post Thanks / Like

"camper I'm burning it right now and tried to pump till it was hard to pump and it never got to that point. before it would get there and had to release my thumb to even get it back down and now it will just keep pumping as if it's releasing it when the pressure gets to a certain point. I'm gonna go lube it now with some hoppe's."

I lubed it up and it did get hard to pump but it still doesn't work right. I give up, this is a piece of crap.
    Last edited by kamikaze82; 04-29-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Coleman Fuel can be purchased at Wal-Mart and other sporting goods stores.. Wal-mart has it's own brand also. The cost is $6 a gallon. Don't buy the quart size. To high $$

I use gas and brand fuel is my stoves and lanterns. I have 9 stoves, about 20lanterns. And with the unleaded gas the we have now, Coleman equipment seem to do real well with it. I haven't had any trouble with my equipment with gas out of the pump. I always pour it through a filter into the tanks. I like the older lanterns much more than the newer lanterns though. I pick up most of my stuff at the local flea market. About 75 % works and just needs cleaning, the rest I rebuild. Pumps, check valves, and cleaning the generators are about all that needs to be done to them.

The older lanterns are real easy to repair and rebuild. One of the problems that causes the flame ups is the air get restricted from spider and dirt dobber build nest in the air tube. The large tube you see inside the glass... Even a spider web will do it..

Coleman has changed from 2 controls that worked real well to one the does so-so.

There's nothing like a lot of lanterns lighting up a camp site at night and hearing the roar from them.

Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast