Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: went to search, can't find answer,help me

Post Thanks / Like

Default went to search, can't find answer,help me

O.K. someone brought up a good subject, how can you tell a male from a female. Crappie that is.....

Post Thanks / Like

During the Spawn it is easiests. The males are usually very darkly colored almost solid black while the females are going to be very light and if they haven't spawned there will be a large bulge in the belly region. Also like with bass the bigger fish are usually females, usually being the key word.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Concerning that subject .....

Quote Originally Posted by wbl2014
    O.K. someone brought up a good subject, how can you tell a male from a female. Crappie that is.....
    during the majority of the year, you really can't tell the difference. But, like "Jigsbydirk" has pointed out, during the spawn ... the black coloration markings of the male are darker, more prominent, and cover more of the fish's body. The females will not be showing this coloration change, and will look primarily the same as they normally do ... with, of course, the exception of a bulging belly region (if, in fact, they have not partially or fully spawned out). Females, during the spawn, may show more defined color and pattern markings, due to being in shallower water (if that water is relatively clear) ... but they won't be showing the extended black pigmentation, and darker black coloration, like the males.

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how you tell for real, other than during the spawn. But every so often I'll have a youngster client in the boat and we'll catch a crappie that has some red around their lips. You've probably seen it before.

I always tell my youngster client "that's a girl fish".
    They will always ask, "how can you tell?"

I say, "Because she is wearing lipstick." :D

Gets 'em every time. LOL
    <--Click for Website

Post Thanks / Like

Pull their skirts up!:D