Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Condo Question

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Crappie Condo Question

Hello Georgia Anglers, I have a question about the crappie condo made out of bambo. Using a five gallon bucket and eight or ten pieces of bambo, How much concret does it take to keep it down and upright. Have you built one? And if so how much did you use. Falcon smitty did you ure bambo in yours? How much weight did you use. Thanks for all who respond to my post. I am going to build one but I have a new knee and can't lift a lot of weight. Thanks to all, And good fishing. Going tomorrow for the first time in two mts. Can't wait! Jimmy S.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Sunday Jimmy. Hope you get your limit or atleast have a good trip.
    Looks like it will be tuesday before I get to go again. I am taking 3 more condos next time I get a 45 minutes. Hope to Sunday after work during the Superbowl. Falcons ain't in the game so it is just a game to me. I'll catch the 2nd half.
    Yes I used bamboo and 60lbs of Qcrete. I think it is perfect weight. Maybe a little less would work but 60 makes the thing sink pretty fast and stands it up straight. It would also take a strong current to move it. Make it as wide as possible it will fold up in the boat. I try to get the greenest shoots I can find. They stay green under there a long time it seems. I catch a few with leaves on the hook too. Here is the first one I tried.

Like me you will get the hang of how you want them. I made a few for shallow water out of the bushy tops. I made one out of 20' shoots but I do most of them about 12'-15'. Great size for my lake. We can build all of these we want but we still need to fish the tops.

Good luck. If you weren't so far I would come help. I need to get busy up the street and get me some built for West Point Lake.I only have 2 weeks to git-r-done. I want to do well in the crappieUSA tourney in march.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyS
    Hello Georgia Anglers, I have a question about the crappie condo made out of bambo. Using a five gallon bucket and eight or ten pieces of bambo, How much concret does it take to keep it down and upright. Have you built one? And if so how much did you use. Falcon smitty did you ure bambo in yours? How much weight did you use. Thanks for all who respond to my post. I am going to build one but I have a new knee and can't lift a lot of weight. Thanks to all, And good fishing. Going tomorrow for the first time in two mts. Can't wait! Jimmy S.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Crappie Condo

Hello Falcon Smitty, Thanks for your reply! Nice pictures, We know it works you caught your limit in an hour and a half on the condo. That must have been a great trip. I think I have come up with a way to use less cement.It will take more time and some extra work but that's ok. I will drill eight or ten holes around the edge of the bucket, Drill holes in the bambo at the bucket height, Fill the bucket with about thirty pounds of ready mix concret. put the bambo in the bucket and run the wire thru the holes in the side of the bucket and thru each peice of bambo and around the bambo once to keep the bambo in position while the cement drys. The stainless steel wire will be there a long time before it will rust. I have a roll left over from a elect. fence. The lake I will be putting it in has no current so I think it will be fine.Thanks for your offer of help if we were closer together, I know you ment that and I thank you .Beautyful day, going fishing, Happy days! Good luck and thanks again Jimmy S.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

that will work Jimmy. I was chatting with a guy in the blab and that is what he does. He uses sand and rocks instead of cement so just give it a whirl. If it stays and stands up I know you will catch crappie.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson