Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie and Beavers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie and Beavers

I been crappie fishing every day that I have off and the weather in Pa. has not been great. Hot one day, cold the next. Fishing hasn't been real good so far.

On the lake that I fish there is an area where the beavers made several large "huts". Beaver traffic is heavy around them, and I would have never guessed that the fish would use that brush as cover. Man was I wrong!

Today it was rather chilly and rain fell from early morning until noon. My friend and I went out and got soaked looking for fish. I tried all of the usual hot spots and we caught very few keepers. When I threw my jig into the beaver hut brush, the bobber went straight to the bottom. We caught over 100 crappie out of that beaver hut. we saw many beavers swimming around, but it didn't seem to effect the crappie. I'm surprised by what I learned today. I have yet to see anyone fish that brush...probably because they were thinking like me. It helps to try new things.

Also, today was the first day using my new Wally Marshall 8' Signature Pro rod from BPS. Very nice rod mated up with a Pflueger President 25 series. I'm gonna order another soon.

Lesson learned = Beavers and crappie get along just fine.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Beavers are great for fishing habitat. They don't eat fish. They dam huge areas that fish thrive in. I have caught some big bream from beaver ponds.

crappie love cover and a beaver hut is cover..

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

I was also gonna tell him they dont eat fish .Many many people think that but No they dont eat fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been startled half to death float tube fishing in a beaver pond, they'll sometimes not see me fishing real slow, swim close behind me, then I'll cast or something and they will SLAP the water with their tail... I've gotten a bit wet they've done this so close to me... Also had ospreys dive after fish just a few yards from me, when I didn't even know they were flying over. Same effect of shock and surprise...
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know. I wasn't sure if beavers would eat a fish or not, but I probably wouldn't have fished around heavy beaver traffic either.

Post Thanks / Like

ANYTIME i SEE BEAVERBRUSH HANGING OUT FROM UNDER A DOCK I FISH IT.WHAT YOU SEE IS NOT EVEN HALF OF WHAT IS THERE THEY MAKE THE BEST PILES HERE ON LANIER.

Post Thanks / Like

This is very good to know. Thanks for the tip

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

I learn something from this site everytime I log on.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Back when I day time fished for crappie, you had to get to the lake before daylight if you wanted to be the first to get to a favored beaverhut. People on my lake know they are great for spawning crappie. Aint no telling the limits of crappie I've caught off beaver huts. Buckmark, if I was you I'd keep that secret to myself from the locals if they dont already know it. Elsewise, people are gonna be on those huts everytime you hit the water when it gets out.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew that beavers didnt eat fish. I just wasn't sure that crappie would suspend in these brush piles with all of the beaver traffic. I figured the beavers swimming around would scare the fish away from that area...I was wrong.

Due to the rain, I was the only idiot fishing in that area on friday. I'm sure the secret will get out quickly, and I'll have to fight for my new spot. I work construction and I get out of bed at 4:00 am monday through thursday. If folks want to get there before me, they better set their alarms for 3:45 am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast