Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still a little green

Post Thanks / Like

Default Still a little green

I'm the idiot that keeps asking too many questions but you guys are the only people I know that fish. here goes- I fish on a 4 1/2 acre pond (no boats) so strictly bank fishing. Ive been pulling some crappie out but just not as many as I would like 2 or 3 a day give or take. the pond is up to 14 foot deep in some spots and much shallower in others. Ive just been fishing 2-4 foot deep with medium size minnows from 15 foot out right up to the bank. and doing ok. should I try deeper or out farther Im just a little lost. Ive been hitting around the brush piles and fallen trees, any suggestions? I tried a couple of jigs and twister tails but no luck. or maybe I should be fishing deeper? lots of questions I know sorry. Man I need a fishing pal badly. thanks guys. -Joel

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is to tube fish.... any sporting goods store has them... some with built in tackle box holder..... that way you can fish deeper water..... somehow put some brush out to fish over.... if there is any docks fish around and under.....
    Good fishing..........

Post Thanks / Like

Cant put anything like a boat or anything in the lake but there is docks should I usa a jig off of the dock?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not going to find a big sack of crappie in a pond that size. You should be able to catch a few but they will tend to run small. I fish a forty acre lake every know and again and I go mainly because I can take somebody new to fishing and just wear them out til they are tired of catching fish. They are usually not slabs but some can be. I would buy some roadrunners and just go around the whole pond and throw out as far as I could and reel back in just fast enough to keep it off the bottom. This is a searching techniques and the pond isn't that big so you can do it pretty easily. You may find there is some structure out away from the bank that you can't see but the fish are relating to. Try chartruese roadrunner head with a black body/chart. curly tail. That should do it. Let us know how it turns out.

Gotta go to bed so I can get up and catch some fishies!

Good Night,
    The CH...

Post Thanks / Like

how bout trying a slip cork, that way you can cover more water, depth wise, and with a 6'6'' - 7' rod, 6-8lb test, 1/8 - 1/4 oz slip weight (for minnow rig), you should be able to sling it a long way. You could also use an 1/8 oz jig under the slip cork. With only bank access, ya gotta cover water.
    Good luck
    on the road again...just can't wait to get back to...TOLEDO BEND

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What kinda docks

Quote Originally Posted by gradall5200
    Cant put anything like a boat or anything in the lake but there is docks should I usa a jig off of the dock?

Are they floating docks ? If so, fish down the sides of them. If they're stationary docks, on posts, fish under them if you can ... or target the posts (shady side), if you can't get a bait "under" the dock itself. In either case - if you are allowed to venture out "onto" these docks ... fish them from shore, first, then walk out on them and fish around them. They would also help you, by allowing you to reach farther out into the lake.

IF there's not a lot of brush, or other cover, submerged or on the bottom of this lake (out in the deeper water) ........ the Crappie may just roam around, in that open water, suspended at a depth that keeps them just below the major light penetration level. CrappieHound's suggestion has merit ... but, I'd add one other potential "bait" to try. Take a 1/16oz Marabou Roadrunner, solid Chartreuse, right out of the package .... and cut the marabou, about half way from the hook bend to the tail end. Cast it out and reel it back in at a steady, moderate speed. And, if you know there isn't anything out there to snag on, cast it out and let it go to the bottom, then start your retrieve. If there is brush or other cover in the deeper water ... you may want to consider using a 1/16oz weedless jighead & a 1.5" tube body.

I agree, also, that there aren't going to be all that many Crappie, in a body of water that size. That may account for your low numbers, as much as your limited casting distance. Just take into account, the fact that you are catching fish ... hopefully of an edible size ... and that each one removed, will allow the others to grow faster/bigger, due to less competition for food & space.

......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

well things are looking up somewhat... I went this morning around 6 am and I caught 7. 6 that were around 12 inches and one just a hair shorter. and about 7 bass one 18incher. any way I got a few and Im greatful for whatever I get so I better get cleaning. thanks for the help, can you guys give me a picture of the road runner you recommended. thanks again- I love this place, its the best place to be if im not fishing.-Joel

Post Thanks / Like

Don't feel like the lone ranger on being a little green, I'm 65 and I'm still a "little green", too. I can't add anything to what's already been posted. Crappiepappie, you are a wealth of knowledge, you constantly amaze me. Keep up the good work.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Where to find your pictures ......

Quote Originally Posted by gradall5200
    can you guys give me a picture of the road runner you recommended. thanks again--Joel
    Click on the TTI-Blakemore link, at the top of the page -- the bottom center ad box has a picture of the char/blk/char curlytail that CrappieHound recommends.
    Click on that picture, then click on the 2006 Catalog link -- this will bring up a PDF catalog .... look on page #3 - number #012 is the char/char/char marabou RR, to which I was referring.

....... cp

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Being that I don't know where you live it would be hard to advise.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast