Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You guys ever heard of this method?

Post Thanks / Like

Default You guys ever heard of this method?

This is off topic and not about Crappie, but its a question about catfish.
    My paw-paw swears that when he was a kid, there was an old man that lived down the road from him in Mississippi, and this man caught catfish to earn his living. According to my paw-paw, he cleaned about 200 catfish a day and sold them to local restaurants and grocery stores.
    Now heres where I have my question. He said that this guy used hot water to skin the catfish. He got the water really hot, almost boiling, but not quite, and he would dip the catfish in the water and then pull em out. He claims that he would then take his hand with a leather glove on it, and grasp the skin at the catfish's head and shuck it right off.
    Now according to my paw-paw he could clean 200 catfish in 1.5 hours. My question is, Lie or truth?
    If truth can anyone give details on the proper method of doing this, and wouldnt this cook the fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Was your Paw Paw a fisherman? His claim is...well...fishy to me.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Team M&M
    This is off topic and not about Crappie, but its a question about catfish.
    My paw-paw swears that when he was a kid, there was an old man that lived down the road from him in Mississippi, and this man caught catfish to earn his living. According to my paw-paw, he cleaned about 200 catfish a day and sold them to local restaurants and grocery stores.
    Now heres where I have my question. He said that this guy used hot water to skin the catfish. He got the water really hot, almost boiling, but not quite, and he would dip the catfish in the water and then pull em out. He claims that he would then take his hand with a leather glove on it, and grasp the skin at the catfish's head and shuck it right off.
    Now according to my paw-paw he could clean 200 catfish in 1.5 hours. My question is, Lie or truth?
    If truth can anyone give details on the proper method of doing this, and wouldnt this cook the fish?
    I know a guy that makes his living catching catfish and he shocks them just before he filet's them and he does fillet them all. He mostly catches and keeps blue cats and likes them not to be too big or too small.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I've read about it somewhere but haven't ever seen or done it. If I can find where I read it I'll post it.

Post Thanks / Like

Friend of mines dad used to do it. Will see if I can get more info
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skin'in Thangs

Don't know about skinin catfish, but that process works if you want to get the skin off'n ta'maters. Had an aunt that only served them skinless.

Best way to findout is to do it.

Good Luck--MT

Post Thanks / Like

My Grandmother did it. When I was a young boy I saw her do it. I think she just got the water ready and put the whole fish in and then took it out and the skin was just dripping off. That was about 30 yrs ago. But I have seen it done.

Google it.
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Cool catfish

It Works, In My Younger Days,we Didnt Know What A Filet Knife Was But We Knew That If You Put A Chicken In Boiling Water The Feathers Come Right Off. I Lived In Southern Ill.for A While And I Can Rem. My Mom Would Clean Our Fish, Or Watever We Brought Home.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

You have to add salt to the water. And my uncle used News paper not gloves.
    Also you just drag the fish through the water. So its not in it long enough to do any cooking.
    Also i have and can clean(Skin and gut heads off) 100 lbs per hour by my self. That is unless there all 6" long. LOL
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

The thing I can remember down on Reelfoot was. They didn't know what a fillet was.
    My uncle down there used to fish commercially. I remember him telling me they used to dip them. On the farm out of the ponds, they just skinned and steak ed them for supper.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast