Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uneven tire wear on trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Default uneven tire wear on trailer

My tracker 185 trailer is showing uneven wear on the tires. The outer edges of both tires are wearing much quicker than the rest of the tire. The trailer is 2 years old and has been used pretty extensively. I keep the tire pressure at 45 psi. The tire calls for max 50 psi. Any ideas on what might be causing it?

Post Thanks / Like

Underinflated tires wear more on the outside than in the middle. Put more air in your tires and keep them at 50 psi if you want them to last longer.

Underinflated tires also reduce your gas mileage. Fill them up to 50 PSI.

Quote Originally Posted by tool
    My tracker 185 trailer is showing uneven wear on the tires. The outer edges of both tires are wearing much quicker than the rest of the tire. The trailer is 2 years old and has been used pretty extensively. I keep the tire pressure at 45 psi. The tire calls for max 50 psi. Any ideas on what might be causing it?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

you can not adj. the toe and camber on trailers i get about 20,000 miles on a set and that is good
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Its all becuase the trailer axle is flexed under the load of the boat. Some trailers are not build heavy enough to stop this flexing. My Lowe boat trailer did the same thing, check to see if you can flip the tire on the rim. (turn the inside to the outside) This will help your tire wear, might have to do this once or twice a year.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I had a problem that had nothing to do with inflation since I am rather anal about that. Took the trailer to the boat shop just before we went to Arkansas to fish with Jerry a couple of years ago. The boat shop owner had a cousin that aligns the axels on semi trailers. He sent me to him. Four hours of driving and two hours in the shop and $125 later he told me it was fixed. Went to Arkansas and back an have pulled a lot of miles since and have not ruined another tire. Before just the Arkansas trip would have ruined a tire. My wife commented on how much easier the boat pulled. So you might try something like that if inflation isn't your problem. Hope it's inflation a cheap air compressor and tire guage would cost less.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb uneven wear...

....try getting tires balanced..will help to roll true...fill to max pressure wear out middle some...see about getting a harder composition tire...won't flex as much and stays flatter across tread of tire....
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    Its all becuase the trailer axle is flexed under the load of the boat. Some trailers are not build heavy enough to stop this flexing. My Lowe boat trailer did the same thing, check to see if you can flip the tire on the rim. (turn the inside to the outside) This will help your tire wear, might have to do this once or twice a year.

I think Ted is on the right track, I had that problem a couple years back. When I noticed the wear pattern (outside edge wearing on both tires), after a bit of looking, I saw the axle was bowed like I had hit something moving in a forward direction, and this would toe the wheels in at the front, which would wear the tires on the outer tread. I straightened the axle, but the bow came back in the axle eventually, it was too light for the weight of the boat and trailer, so I had one made that was more than adequate for the rig. I would check the axle before making a big decision, underinflation would cause both inside and outside treads to wear, and overinflation would cause the tire to wear in the center.

Post Thanks / Like

I also had that problem, it was the axle. I just replaced the axle and while I was at it, moved up to the next weight capacity. Check out www.championtrailers.com For the price of an axle, it's an easy fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Default When i bought

my boat in 2000 I ordered a heavier trailer(weight capacity) than was needed by about 1,000 pounds and with brakes. The tires that came with them were POS and were soon replaced with Goodyear Marathons. No tire wear problem ever.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Default new axle

I had the same problem on my Hustler trailer and jon boat that I bought from a boat dock builder. He would load building material into the boat while it was still on its trailer, tow it to the lake, launch and drive the already loaded boat across the lake to the dock he was building. I'm thinking that's how one of the axle spindles got bent or broken and welded back slightly out of line. A new axle from the Tractor Supply store fixed the problem for less than $100. Tractor Supply had several sizes of trailer axles complete with hubs, bearings and wheel studs. Bolting the new axle on would've only taken about 2 hrs if I'd thought to get new u-bolts instead of re-bending the existing ones. That was almost 2 years, 1500 miles, and possibly 100 launchings ago with no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast