Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shopping Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shopping Trip

I had a pretty good day at BPS, & I hope I got some good stuff. I bought the BPS "Painted Round Jighead Kit" in sizes 1/32 oz and 1/16 oz. I'll have to wait for the wife to get home tomorrow or Monday to tell you what the colors are, for sure. But I know there is chartreuse (looks yellow to me) in 2 sets, orange, pink, black & red. There are actually 8 colors in each set. I bought the 1.5 inch Squirmin' Squirts in chartreuse, glow white, green/white, hot pink, light blue/white, lime green/chartreuse, orange/pearltreuse. I couldn't find Kodiak scent, so I bought Yum in the shad scent. I bought some fas-snaps, and aberdeen hooks in sizes 8, 6, 4, & 2. I bought Magnathin line in 6 lb test, & a couple of Thill floats. They are orange (I guess) on top and yellow next, then white & black. I wish they were yellow or white on top. Those are my most visible colors. I usually turn floats upside down so that the white is on top and the orange is below. And finally I bought one of those really long (11 foot) spinning rods.

Now, I've got four questions. First question has to do with combinations. The water in Hartwell is usually very clear. So would someone suggest some combinations of jig heads & squirmin' squirts in the colors I bought that would be good in clear water. What Squirmin' Squirt to use with what jig head?

Second question is about the Yum scent. Is it any good? Does anyone here use that brand?

Third question is about the rod. What do I do with a rod that long? I will probably use it mostly for drop-shot fishing.

For drop-shot work, can I make up some leaders with a sinker at one end & a loop at the other? Tie on a couple of those fas-snaps to make changing jigs easier, and then attach the loop end to a swivel on the end of my line? If that would work, it seems like it would make a quick & versatile system. What do you think?

Thanks guys.

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

Tugaloo-i Suggest You Try The Charteruse Head With The Same Color Body To Start With.the Water Here Is Clear Also--i Catch 75 Percent Of My Crappie With Variations Of These Colors! I Also Like The Orange Heads. As For Your Rod,i Use Them For Trolling,tightlining,and During The Spawn When Their In The Willows. Sounds Like You Did Ok To Me!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Chartruse head, white body is a killer in clear/ to slightly stained water here in Missouri. Or Chartruse head and the blue/white is good also. Sounds like you got some good stuff while you was at BPS.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I went this morning before getting called into work I did not find the mighty lite rods on sale like I thought they was - I did buy a pair of Woo Daves Boots and a jig eye cleaner - bought a few other odds and ends for the tackle box and boat - I am pretty well stocked on jigs and hooks and floats - I just need time to use the stuff now
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    I just need tim eto use the stuff now
    I wish that i could buy that at BPS.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Third question is about the rod. What do I do with a rod that long? I will probably use it mostly for drop-shot fishing.
    Tugaloo - BPS used to have a video made by Sam Heaton. I forget anymore what the title was. (I know it had "crappie" in it) This is a great video for beginners as it walks you through most of the different types of fishing for crappie - trolling, jigging, vertical fishing , etc. If I remember the video contents correctly, Mr. Heaton shows some line tying techniques and explains the different fishing equipment he's using. It's been a long time since I've seen it, so I may be off. I'll have to dig through my collection of stuff to get a title, it sounds as if it may benefit you. There's a whole lotta basic information piled into a short viewing tape. (It may even be on DVD by now?)
    Your question reminded me of the live bait rod he uses in this video - no reel, all rod. Of course, he makes handling a 12 foot rod look like child's play, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Big Zig, I did a search at the BPS website & I think I found the video you spoke of. It's called "Crappie Fishing Techniques." The "blurb" says:

Crappie fishing master and guide, Sam Heaton, takes you to unparalleled levels of fishing in this video, during and after the spawn. Learn Sam's techniques and tools for changing lake, river, and pond conditions. 45 minutes.

Does that sound like it to you? And yes, it's now available on VHS and on DVD. $4.88 and $9.95 respectively.

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanee King
    I wish that i could buy that at BPS.
    my fingers don't always do what the brain tells them to
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tugaloo
    Thanks, Big Zig, I did a search at the BPS website & I think I found the video you spoke of. It's called "Crappie Fishing Techniques." The "blurb" says:

Crappie fishing master and guide, Sam Heaton, takes you to unparalleled levels of fishing in this video, during and after the spawn. Learn Sam's techniques and tools for changing lake, river, and pond conditions. 45 minutes.

Does that sound like it to you? And yes, it's now available on VHS and on DVD. $4.88 and $9.95 respectively.

Tugaloo
    That's the one.