Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Power Drive or cable steer?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Power Drive or cable steer?

I just won a new 16 ft fiberglass Crappie Masters boat, and have to put a trolling motor on it. What are you guys opinions on the Power Drive motors? Do they turn as fast as cable steer motors?

Also, what type of thrust do I need on a 16 ft boat with a 50 hp motor?

What models should I look at? I have $250 off a Minn Kota, so I'll be going with them.

What exactly does co-pilot and auto-pilot do?

Thanks a bunch,

pstone

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Congradulations!! No power drive does not turn as fast as a cable steer but what is nice about them is you don't have to keep your foot on it all the time like the cable. Co pilot allows you to control the motor from anywhere in the boat using a small module like a TV remote. You can carry it, put it around your neck or even attach it to a pole. Auto pilot is great. It keeps the boat going in the direction you point it. You could get by with a 40lb thrust but if I were you I would get at least a 55. It never hurts to have more power than you need but can come in handy in high winds to get you out of trouble.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of prob a 55-70 pounds of thrust with variable speeds. I'll be jigging stump fields and doing some trolling. Is power drive a good option while fishing stumps like on Grenada?

Personal preferences?

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 36lb thrust on my boat, and have never needed any more power. Of course, mine is only used for slow trolling. If you plan on jumping from spot to spot, heavier thrust will certainly get you there faster (but at a higher price). But, since you have $250 off, you can really splurge on a motor!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Minn Kota V2 with the cable remote drive. 40lb. thrust. Love it. It's easy to operate from anywhere in the boat, cause it has an 18ft. coax. cable. Only thing i don't like is the motor that turn head is loud. Shallow water fishing may be compromised by the noise it makes turning the head. Trolling with it is great. Would love to have auto pilot, but the places i troll are small and requires a fair amount of steering. Good luck, buddy, and congratulations on winning the tournament.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go for an Autopilot with the Copilot option, and around 50# thrust. I have a older Autopilot with the Copilot, and only 36# thrust on a 16 footer and it's fine. If you are slow trolling or even rigging up, you can let the autopilot do the driving for you. I'll never be without an AP again.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Terrova w/AutoPilot & CoPilot w/Uni-Sonar 55lb on my 16' Lund. My last boat had a hand TM so I still getting use to the pedal. I have been cheating and using the remote which I feel lost without. Just like at home, I need a remote in my hand. I am getting better at using it, last week I fished in 25mph wind around stumps. I stayed on station and didn't hit anything. I used the Autopilot to hold me to allow me to take fish off or other activities. So far, I am really happy with the package. Using the remote didn't impact my catching either.