Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spooling spinning reels. Kill me now, please!

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Spooling spinning reels. Kill me now, please!

I am 36 years old. I have a good life. But spooling spinning reels makes me want to scream! Top side, bottom side, 1/2 side, side-2-side etc, it is all twisted no matter what I do. Makes me want to turn on all four stove burners, strip down, hop aboard and roll around screaming like a moon bat. Then, once the room is full of the smell of my own burning flesh, hop down and calmly poke treble hooks thru my eyelids. If that doesn't hurt enough, then maybe go out and start the mower and slowly ease my toes up under it. Once down to nothing but bloody ankles, come back in and settle down to watch the super bowl.
    Okay, that feels better. One spinning reel ruined, 3 to go. If I don't make it, tell the world my story!!!!

Dayton

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow Ranger. They really aren't that bad are they? What are you doing to ruin a reel? Lay the spool of line on the floor. Tie the line to the spool on the reel. Keep tension on the line at all times while spooling. Put 4 or 5 turns on the handle and then lower the line towards the spool. If the line is twisting and kinking, turn the spool over and continue filling the reel keeping tension on the line. Hope that helps. I'd hate to see you posting from a hospital bed. Another trick I use after using the rig for a while is to take all the tackle off the line. Then while moving from point A to point B, I'll let all the line out and crank it back on keeping pressure on the line.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger690
    I am 36 years old. I have a good life. But spooling spinning reels makes me want to scream! Top side, bottom side, 1/2 side, side-2-side etc, it is all twisted no matter what I do. Makes me want to turn on all four stove burners, strip down, hop aboard and roll around screaming like a moon bat. Then, once the room is full of the smell of my own burning flesh, hop down and calmly poke treble hooks thru my eyelids. If that doesn't hurt enough, then maybe go out and start the mower and slowly ease my toes up under it. Once down to nothing but bloody ankles, come back in and settle down to watch the super bowl.
    Okay, that feels better. One spinning reel ruined, 3 to go. If I don't make it, tell the world my story!!!!

Dayton

Sorry Ranger690 but, that is some funny chit :D
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PIGINTHEPIGPEN
    Sorry Ranger690 but, that is some funny chit :D
    That ain't no lie! That's the funniest thing I've seen on this site in my short time here. I'd share a boat witt ya any day 690.

Gotta warn ya though.......there are those around here that don't appreciate anything that remotely resembles humor.
    'Carpe Diem' does not mean "fish of the day."

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

IBNFISHN uses the same technique that i do. It works the best. for me that is. Don't beat yourself up too bad. You could be pickin' a backlash out of a baitcaster. See it can always be worse. Speakin' of backlashes, I have 2 baitcasters out in the shed from last october that went to h*ll on me one particular chitty day. I guess I oughta pick them out. >)))>
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-14-2007 at 08:20 AM.

crazy_charlie Guest

Default Easy fix for loading reels

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the board so here's my two cents on loading reels. I use a small clamp-on vice. You can find them in hobby & hardware stores. clamp it on a table, desk, whatever (you can even clamp it on your wifes antique coffee table with a little care and no harm, but try to convince her!) LOL a bolt through the spool with a spring to hold tension on the line and you got ti made. remember to load the reel the same direction the line comes off the spool. Spinning reels from the end, baitcasters from the top. Hope it helps.
    Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

ranger, i received a Berkely spooling station for christmas and i really like it. it makes spooling a lot easier by yourself and the line doesn't get twisted. i would recommend it as it makes for less time cussin and more time fishin.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Lifesaver.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger690

Dayton
    ...Chillll..dude. ..all's you got to do is get 5gal bucket or suitable container...fill with water..... throw spool in water.....run line thru eyes on pole....(not face.haha). :D ....attach line to reel (any type) and start cranking keeping little tension with free/pole hand...no worrys man..no special equipment...no stench..no pesky blood stains..no piercings ...no problem--man..
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

I go along with my other brothers thats the funniest thing ive heard in awhile...... Going to print it off and put it in my boat , so when i get my limit and my partner doesnt im going to make him/her read it..................lol

Post Thanks / Like

Ranger, I may not be very successful at catching crappie, yet, but I've been filling spinning reels all my life & I'm a LOT older than you. I don't know about all the methods that these guys have recommended to you, but really, all you need to fill your spinning reel is a pencil! The spool that the line comes on has a hole in the center. Put the pencil through that hole so that the spool can turn freely on it. Have someone hold each end of the pencil, or if you have to do it by yourself, you can hold the ends of the pencil between your toes. If you do it that way, use only the butt half of the rod with the reel attached. Hold a little tension on the line with your right hand, or, really, you can put some tension on the spool with your feet. As long as the spool is spinning around the pencil, the line won't twist. That's how the line was put on the spool & that's how the line needs to come off the spool.

If the line on your reel gets twisted, there are several things you can do. The best is the suggestion someone already made, to troll the line behind your boat with no tackle of any kind on the end of the line. I said "Troll" but you can go faster than that. The line will untwist in the water. I have also stretched the line out across the yard, and reeled it in. That helps. To remove twist from just the end portion of your line, tie it to a barrel swivel, fasten the swivel to a nail in a fence post, telephone pole, etc, & pay out some line. Hold the line suspended between the reel & the swivel loosely enough that the swivel can spin allowing the line to untwist.

Hope some of this is helpful. If I haven't been clear at some point, ask away & I'll try to make it more clear.

Tugaloo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast