Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Marabou

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marabou

I'm having a hard time finding chartreuse marabou, I've looked at janscraft, they have green but no chartreuse green.
    What else could I use other than marabou?

spider rig man

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cabelas fly fishing didn't have it?
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

www.barlows.com has it. Online you can see the different types of marabou they carry and all of it comes in chartruese. I use the strung pin marabou. They have a color chart where you can choose. Their prices are good and they usually ship really fast. Here's the page:
    http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/sho...=1911&CATID=61
    Future member of any forum deathb4disco moderates.

Member of Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

barlows is about the only place to get yellow chartruese. Cabelas used to carry it and they had the best quality of it, then a place called anglers supply had it and pretty good quality, now barlows is the only place i have found it but it is more exspensive and not as good of quality. Sure wish those crappie didn't like that color so much :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Online or i use Gander.... Dont forget to try Craft stores since you can get a lot of things cheaper in those.

Post Thanks / Like

The Green Chartreuse is FL. Chartreuse.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Barlows and basspro both have it. I get it from both. Don't know if you can get it online but I know you can get it at the memphis store.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

Slighly off topic, but I'd like to know of a good source for loose chicken hackle in various colors. I've seen it on Ebay but would rather have someone recommend a dealer that they have used.

The last I bought was a few years ago from a tackle shop in Morristown, TN and it was in 1/4 ounce zipper bags. Came in dun-gray, purple, green brown, white, black, pink, etc. and I love it for crappie and bluegill jigs. Too far to drive to Morristown though!

As for marabou, I'd like to order some of that as well, but Barlow's minimum shipping charges are the pits. So, I'd like to find a marabou dealer that has a shipping policy like Lester J's. Now that is a FIRST CLASS place to deal with!!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get the white marabou and dye it hartreuse. There is a thread on here about dying with koolaid and jello. I tried it and it works. You can get a real pretty chartreuse and a pretty good red one too.

What You Need:
    • Protein fiber (wool, alpaca, silk, etc.) made into loosely tied skeins.
    • Unsweetened Kool-Aid packages. A good starting point is one package of Kool-Aid per one ounce of fiber.
    • Water
    • Vinegar
    • For stovetop method: stainless steel or unchipped enamal pot. DO NOT use aluminum or cast iron. If you plan on dyeing more than a single ounce at a time, use a large soup pot.
    - or -
    For microwave method: Pyrex or other heat resistant glass pan, microwavable clear plastic wrap (such has Handi-Wrap or Saran Wrap). Masking tape to tape up the ends of the plastic wrap once you've wrapped the dye-saturated yarn.
    • Small plastic spatula for mixing.
    • Rubber gloves, otherwise you will end dyeing your fingers in the process.
    • Heat source.
    The Basic Recipe:
    As a starting point, for each ounce of fiber (spun or unspun) you plan on dyeing, use:
    One package of unsweetened Kool-Aid
    Liquid (8 oz total):
    6 ounces of water 2 ounces of vinegar
    If you want the color to be less intense, use less Kool-Aid in the same amount of water. Conversely, more Kool-Aid will give you more color. For consistent results, dissolve the Kool-Aid in the water/vinegar solution and dilute the resulting solution.
    Dyeing with Kool-Aid does not require a mordant.
    How to Dye Your Fiber
    There are two basic methods for dyeing fiber with Kool-Aid: the microwave method and the stovetop method. Each works very well, although your results may vary slightly.

old ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.