Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling motors Terrova 80 lb 24 volt. Or motorguide xi5 80 lb 24 volt

Zman is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motors Terrova 80 lb 24 volt. Or motorguide xi5 80 lb 24 volt

Anyone got suggestions which one is best bang for the money pros or con ?

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I for the last 30 days I HAVE been looking at, for, a new TM. After deciding on minn kota terrova I change to the Mimm kota Ultrex. It will be in today, GO MINN KOTA.

Post Thanks / Like

The new terrova with lift assist and the GPS puck is by far better than the older terrova without it.
    I've owned the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Terrova as well as the Ulterra, and the Terrova with lift assist. I've also owned a Powerdrive. Additionally, I've had the XI5.

The XI5 had the older motors beat hands down in regards to spot lock or anchore lock BUT, the newer ones with the GPS puck are way better.

So, based on owning them all, here is what I would select and the reasons why:
    The XI5 remote does NOT have a display on it. So, unless you have the trolling motor hooked to a Lowrance fish finder, you really don't have any way of knowing what setting you are in, how fast you have it set to go, or what you have it doing. THAT, is the biggest reason why I would stay away from a motor guide. Zero display on the remote. Now, if you intend to utilize a lowrance connected via NMEA 2000 cables (additional charge) then it "might" be worth it. Just keep in mind that you would need to be looking at the screen to see what it is set at.

The newer Terrova with lift assist is much easier to deploy and stow than the older models. In fact, I switched out my dad's ulterra for the terrova with lift assist. Yes, the ulterra has auto stow and deploy however... you are not asking about those and I've well documented my complete disdain for that piece of equipment.

The remote actually has a display on it. You can tell how fast you are going, if you are in legacy trolling mode, or GPS trolling mode, anchore lock, spot lock, track back, jog, etc... If you have a Hummingbird unit you can puchase the I-pilot link and actually link the unit. The downfall with that however (depending on the type of fishing you do) the unit is more expensive, the remote is more expensive, and they always need to be charged.

Personal preference but, after working with the new terrova (I still have an older one on my other boat) and the XI5 side by side, I would deep six the XI5 every day all day. Not saying it isn't a good unit and can do good things, you just don't know what it is doing. Probably not bad if you are just using the anchore lock feature but, when you are trolling, it is a whole different ballgame.

Contact Brian over at BBG marine if you decide to go the Minn Kota Terrova route. The reason I say that is that he offers some motor variaties that other Minn Kota dealers do not offer. As an example, I did NOT need a motor with a foot pedel OR a built in sonar. Brian actually offers one (for less cost) than other places that only offer them with built in sonar.

If you would like the foot pedel option as well as the I-Pilot option, I suggest the Ultrex! The foot pedels that go with the standard Terrova are no where near as good as the old school cable drive type systems that the Ultrex offers.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"