Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Boat?

Hi. I'd really be interested in you folk's opinion on a boat. I haven't seen one in person yet, but I've been looking at the new Triton TA-196 Crappie. Do you think it's overkill or something that would be a good boat--something that you might like yourselves? I'm just wondering if it's too large for "normal" crappie fishing. I don't do tournaments. Thanks much.
    Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Default Russ Bailey

You need to talk to Russ Bailey about it. I have been in his last two and I really like it. I fish tournaments too and next year my partner is buying Russ' new boat he gets next year.
    If you ever fish tournaments and use a Triton, the Triton Bonus will be well worth it everytime you win.
    Get the boat you will be very happy!!!! It is not too big for normal fishing.
    Any questions for Russ email me and I'll hook you guys up.
    Crouch & Hengstler Team Vicious, Southern Pro, Crappie Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Just ask Richard Williams aka 1weezer. He fishes/guides out of that very boat. He's got it set up perfectly and it's one heck of a nice rig.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default That's Right

I almost forgot Richard bought Russ' boat last year and I know for a fact Richard swears by it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can have too big of a boat, but 19'6" is pretty big for trolling. One thing you have to consider is it will take more of everything to run this boat (gas, batteries, etc), but that may not be a concern for you. I do like the dropped front deck, but don't like the raised rear deck as it places you too high over the water when fishing from the back. Personally, I like to be as close to the water as possible.

Looking at the specs for this boat, it has a lot of features I personally don't need. For one, I don't need more than one livewell or a baitwell. I don't fish tournaments, so there is no need for me to cull fish. Basically, if the fish isn't released as soon as I catch it, then its probably going to make it to the fryer. Plus, crappie are just too finicky to keep alive, even with some very good aeration systems. In the warmer months, all of the fish I plan on keeping go straight in a cooler of ice.

Now, this boat will definitely handle heavier water and would be excellent for running wide open around the lake. Once again, this isn't something I need. For one, I don't fish if the water is rough and two, I usually launch the boat pretty close to where I am fishing. My trolling boat will run 40-42 mph, so I don't really need to be much faster. Of course, if you are tournament fishing, you will be launching from the same ramp and will have to fish whatever the conditions are. You may have no choice but to run wide open across a rough lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with these guys. I have talked to Russ through email about that very boat and I plan on looking at one when I get back to the states. I had a 20 ft Triton before and it was a great crappie boat too.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Get that Boat!CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I have a TA-196 and I love it. I have been in the boat every day for about 2 months now. I don't think there is another boat that will even come close to being as comfortable as this one. Just my 2 cents. lol
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank You

And we've been waiting on your two cents Richard, just don't ask for change....lol. :D