Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using An Electric Knife to Rib Fillets?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using An Electric Knife to Rib Fillets?

Do you use an electric knife to cut the rib cage out of the fillet? I go through with an electric knife and fillet the fish and then use a 4" Rapala fillet knife to cut the ribs out, leaving the fillet in a "V" shape. I feel like I can do a better job with a regular fillet knife on the ribs, less waste, get closer to the bones. Curious how many just go ahead and use the electric knife on the ribs.
    Future member of any forum deathb4disco moderates.

Member of Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen it both ways, but I go ahead and cut out the ribs with a regular fillet knife. Then, I take the fillet and cut out the dark "vein" that runs between the top and the bottom of the fillet. Just my preference.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the electric knife if I am by my self. If I have someone helping I fillet with the electric knife and they cut the ribs out the a fillet knife.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

I use the electric knife, and get the same v shape you are talking about. Once you do it a few times you will like it better. I know a guy that cuts them out with scissors, works pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fillet

I use the electric knife and then take the ribs out with my Rapala fillet knife. Works good for me but may try using the electric knife next time and see how I do.
    Go Navy

Post Thanks / Like

here's something you might try that a guide friend shared with me a few years back , first try it with a nice size crappie plus it works every time when you put e'm on ice. with your elec. knife cut behind gills as usual then up to ribs but not cutting through 2nd. cut down parallel to spine untill you can cut next to ribs , then lift up slightly hold flap up with thumb, then take palm of other hand & pop it it will rip right off off ribs , then just run blade behind ribs continue down toward tail finish off cut wah-la ! there's the rib cage still connected to skeleton.......buy the way this will work on any scaled fish sounds like alot of time but once you get the hang of it works really neat.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

Lip Rippers
    That sounds like what they call 'popping'.
    Years ago a friend showed me how to 'POP" perch. They do that while out on the ice to the smaller perch.
    Well,,, with me getting a little more forgetful. I forgot how to do it. If I recall,,, you only had to make three small cuts.
    There was article in the local news paper,, but I sure can't find it.
    I've looked all over the net and can't come up with the pictures of how to do it.
    Do you ore anyone else know where I can find the pics? Man that really works slick.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I use only an electric fillet knife. Once I got used to it I feel I'm faster and little or no extra waste compared to switching knives.
    Lip Rippers, your method sounds good. Do the fish have to be on ice for this to work right? After making the cuts you describe and you are holding the flap with one hand you said to "pop" it. Do you mean hit the fishes ribs with your other palm?

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, that sounds real interesting! But I'm not sure that I understand either. Need more details.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I did a fry for our Sunday School class last year. One of the members brought a package of filets his uncle or somebody gave him. I was very impressed with the way they were fileted. The rib bones were not there, but the meat was still on the filet. I have tried to acheive the same result since then.
    Lip Ripper
    Does this sound like the end result of the procedures you have described?
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast