Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluorocarbon Lines & Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fluorocarbon Lines & Crappie

Last year I switched to fishing 100% fluorocarbon lines while fishing jigs for Crappies. I have tried the Maxima, P-Line, and the new Seaguar INVIZX all in 4 pound test. I must say I have noticed increased catches since I started using these lines. Main way I have noticed is fishing with buddies who are not using it using the same jig on the same structure and I catch considerably more fish. While I wish it was the fact I am just that good I am pretty sure it is the line. Has anyone else played with these lines and what did you notice? One thing is due to the fluoro lines beinging a bit more likely to get spool memory I use Blakemores Real Magic which cured all of my memory problems.
    Savage

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done a lot in that dept. As a fly fisherman I was using some very expensive flourocarbon tippet material. Eventually it came out on large spools. I continued to use it the same way, as a leader only. Because it has high memory and is expensive I use a grinner knot/uni-knot to tie the 2 together.

These days I have been using Stren low vis green(works as good)until I don't have to buy diapers anymore.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by backtocrappie
    These days I have been using Stren low vis green(works as good)until I don't have to buy diapers anymore.
    I use stren and trilene lo-vis green.. IMO they are the best thing for me to use. If I stop catching slabs I'll change to the good stuff but till then I'll just keep fishing.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

I use Stren Hi-Vis Yellow 10lb. line and a 1/4 oz. Bighead jig. After a lot of trial and error I came up with this combination that works the best for me. I catch just as many crappie by watching for movement in my line as I do feeling them bite. Also, the 10 lb line has less stretch than a smaller test line. The 1/4 oz. Bighead jig keeps the line nice and straight allowing me to feel every little bump.
    I have also found that the 10 lb. line will bend the small jighook out enough to get it back almost all the time when hung up.
    The Stren line is available thru Bass Pro and here is the link to the website for the Bighead jigs if interrested.
    www.bigheadjigs.com
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I like Berkley Vanish it changes color in sunlite and makes it easy for me to see, and also like PLine it is a lot cheeper but not flurocrabon and seems to work just as good I like the Vanish cause it is easyer to see and I`m a line watcher..Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

I have never chased Crappies down south where I noticed most of you guys are from "although I would really like to". How clear is the water you guys are fishing? Most the lakes I am on have at least 10' of visibility which is what made me try fluoro in the first place. Also as another mentioned I didn't want a line with a lot of stretch which fluoro doesn't have.
    Last edited by CulturedSavage; 04-26-2007 at 06:55 AM.
    Savage

Post Thanks / Like

I use FireLine Crystal with 3' floro leader. I like the way the braid lets you feel a hit, but don't want to spook any fish by letting them see the line - hence, the floro leader.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4
    I use FireLine Crystal with 3' floro leader. I like the way the braid lets you feel a hit, but don't want to spook any fish by letting them see the line - hence, the floro leader.
    What knot are you using to attach the fluoro to the braid?
    Savage

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Gamma Fluorocarbon is any good. What about Grizz have you tried it yet? Gonna buy some Gamma Copolymer line, wondering about their flourocarbon though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried the Gamma Fluorcarbon and was not that impressed with it. Especially for the price. You get half as much line as their competitors for more money and it is at the most the same quality as the Seaguar in my opinion.
    Savage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast