Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jig molds

Post Thanks / Like

Default jig molds

Who one here makes their own jig heads?
    If so how long does it take to make about 1000 and how hazardous is it to my health. I need to make some extra money and I have thought about doing this.

Where do you get your lead from.

Any advice tips would be appreciated.

Thanx
    Love, what more can I say

Lizella Fella Guest

Default pouring jigs

Mighty,

I make my own crappie jig heads. This year alone I guess I poured 500-700. Regrading ill effects of being exposed to the lead, I don't think it's a hazard unless you somehow get it in your blood stream. I've been doing it for many years now with no problems I can detect.

LF

Post Thanks / Like

Default making jigs

If you want to make about .25 cents an hour making jigs is a good way to waste your time. You wont make any money. I only consider it worth while for making jigs for yourself if you want premium jigs and loose alot. No more running to the store, if you live out in the sticks.

Lead pot $50
    Mold $40
    Lead $10
    Hooks $40
    Paint $10
    Time ???????
    --------------
    How many jigs do you have to sell to make back $150???
    Thats beak even then you have to buy more molds and lead and hooks. What about electricity or gas to heat your lead.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

I can and do make 1000 a day, it is work when you are making large amounts but can be worth it once your set up. If you charge .17 each as I do thats 170.00 a day. but you have to be willing to put in the time to do it. Stay away from the hobby supplies as they just don't hold up for large productions. Dont pour in the house and make sure you have good ventilation and you will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Lead in it's liquid state is hazardous. I pour in my garage and wear a hepa filtered mask. lead poisoning is not something that happens quickly, it builds up in your bones over time. If you are just pouring a few for yourself I wouldn't worry too much, but if you a going into production a mask is highly recomended.

Post Thanks / Like

Well you just don't cast a 1000 jigheads just like that. I cast between 120 to 400 jigheads an hour depending on what I'm casting. I have different production molds and have cast many a thousand jigs. Lead is bad news. You can absorb it though the skin, inhale fumes and cuts on your hands and fingers(hands and fingers when you poke yourself grabbing hooks). So be smart and careful. I use tin and when I'm done handling the jigs my fingers are tin stained so lead would be the same if you handle them alot. You can get a cast iron pot a coleman stove, ladle and a mold with a bunch of hooks (good pair of leather gloves)and you are in business. You can check out tire shops for wheel weights, they'll have to be cleaned, melted and clips extracted from lead pot. But you may get alot of satisfaction out of not only making your own jigs but also catching fish on them.
    Just my thoughts. I enjoy it as a neat hobby and I'm also supplying 13 tackle stores.

TT

Post Thanks / Like

TT, Did you get my message? For you guys out there Timmy Tom furnished me with some test jigs this year. Some of the biggest fish I caught this spring came using his Jigs. I hope to go one more time before I swap the boat over for Trash fishing. Yeah I know a true purist wouldn't fool around with those ole Big Mouth Basses but you know how it goes.
    Thanks TT, THE BANDIT
    Last edited by EDDY CREEK BANDIT; 04-27-2007 at 10:04 AM.
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bandit. I received pics. have been busy.

TT

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

TT,
    How do you melt tin and pour it? Can you use a lead pot? I know it weighs less but I have been wanting to get away from lead and we pour our own heads. Don't make sense to me to put a cancer causing agent in the water.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Tin melts at just about the same temp as lead............and once melted has the same properties.

Just my two cents..................
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast