Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: An observation how NoT to lose big fish near or around heavy weeds

Post Thanks / Like

Default An observation how NoT to lose big fish near or around heavy weeds

Went yesterday before the heavy rain kicked me off the lake and got two monster fish come off from long distance cast near heavy weeds unseen because of distance.

1. I was using a 2' fluorocarbon leader which may have had too much stretch even on the end of a 8# braid line
    2. Rod was too flexible and I couldn't pull the fish out of the heavy weeds it dove into.
    3. Jig hook to small for good hook set that would allow enough time to pull the fish out of the weeds.

Possible solution: Go with straight braid, a medium action rod and larger jig hook size with wider gap for heavy weed fishing.

Not the first time this has happened in the last week. Talk about the initial excitement followed by extreme disappointment especially when the fish was hooked for at least 6 seconds only to bring in a big clump of weeds. Guess that's why they call it fishing and not just catching.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't catch them all. I fish stained water so it is braid all the way to the hook. I fish jigs with #2 sickle hooks. Extremely sharp out of the package. 7 foot light action rod. If I get a hook it. It stays, Pulled some large angry bass and catfish out from under docks while crappie fishing.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    Went yesterday before the heavy rain kicked me off the lake and got two monster fish come off from long distance cast near heavy weeds unseen because of distance.

1. I was using a 2' fluorocarbon leader which may have had too much stretch even on the end of a 8# braid line
    2. Rod was too flexible and I couldn't pull the fish out of the heavy weeds it dove into.
    3. Jig hook to small for good hook set that would allow enough time to pull the fish out of the weeds.

Possible solution:
    Use Charlie Brewer's "leading" technique. Rather than muscling the fish out of cover, "lead" him. Rich Zaleski discusses this starting at about the one minute mark. It works!

Thanks Jamesdean thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed the Video...Reminds me of me fishing with my pops...
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

Post Thanks / Like

Problem is that the cast, strike and hookset were at a really long distance. Trying to lead a fish out of cover was near impossible at that distance plus the other stuff tackle related.
    I kind a knew the bite would be excellent just before the rain started and would have stayed out except it came down in torrents. The usual light tackle is usually problematic getting fish out of weeds, but these weeds are mostly dead and create big clumps on the line up from the lure. Imagine getting a fish of decent size out from that mess !

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never easy with light gear. I watched a video or tv show once with Hank Parker and a younger guest. The guest hooked up with a very large bass, double digit or very close, and the way he walked him through the process of landing the fish was eye opening to me. What he spoke of most was being calm. We all know that big fish get the adrenaline pumping and after a few minutes of following Hanks instruction, he did boat the fish. Best I have ever seen. Hard to just hold the rod in the right place and NOT reel, the rod doing the work. Watch it if you can find it.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish a lot of deep heavy structure. Some of my better memories are jail breaking the fish after a long fight. Keeping the right amount of pressure on the fish too let it swim but not throw the hook. But my best memories are the bigger fish that beat me and manage to get off right at the surface. Pretty sure I saw one wink at me right before she performed this Houdini move and gave me my jig back.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app