Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default using jigs

I would like any and all help I could get on using jigs. I am new to jigs so need to know about tight lining along with using a bobber. How much movement if any is needed and which way to move the jig?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If tightlining, Just holding your rod will put enough vibration into the line for the jig. You are still moving even holding rod steady. Using a cork, Just work the cork back an inch or two at the time. This will instill a pendulum action into the jig. There is plenty of ways to work a jig but slow is the main way. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I would tell you that most beginner jig fishermen will move the jig WAY too much. No matter how hard you try, you cannot hold a jig still in the water. Just lower it down to the depth and hold it still. You will develop some sort of motion as you learn. Often it helps to SLOWLY lift the jig up a foot or so, then let it back down, watching your line for slack or movement. Often you will lower the jig and then when you go to pick it up you will feel something like a wet Kleenex weight on your line. Set the hook. Another mistake beginner jig fishermen make is waiting for the fish to take the bait. Often a fish will peck peck peck at a minnow before taking it. With a jig, one peck is usually all you get. When you feel the peck or "thump" set the hook immediately. Strong arguments about the papermouth of the crappie and types of hooksets. I set it hard. If you go with braided line, however, you will lose a lot of fish with a hard hookset. Just remember, let the jig work itself. You'll really like it, it's not nearly as hard as you think!
    Future member of any forum deathb4disco moderates.

Member of Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Sandwich Maker is right!

I have a kind of simple How To page you can take a look at and maybe it will helps some.
    Here is a link.... http://thumpitjigs.com/HowTo.html

Hope this helps,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I also like casting jigs out and bringing them back with a slow, steady retrieve. You can count it down to different levels until you figure out where they are biting. I have killed em some days like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishnLine
    I also like casting jigs out and bringing them back with a slow, steady retrieve. You can count it down to different levels until you figure out where they are biting. I have killed em some days like this.
    This is how I do about 95% of my jig fishing. Granted, it all depends on where you fish, but this slays them where I fish. Plus, I have ADHD and I can't stand to sit there too long holding a rod waiting for something to bite it. I will vertical jig where necessary, but not often. I cast with a crappie niblet on it, and usually lay the hammer down on them.

Post Thanks / Like

crappiepappy wrote a nice article on "vertical casting" that is published right here on crappie.com : http://www.crappie.com/articles/crappiepappy.htm

It's a nice twist on some of the "traditional" jigging methods.

Birmingham, AL, hailing from Dawson Springs, KY
    Post Thanks / Like

I second the post about a crappie only thumping the jig once. In my experience, if it's a bluegill biting, lots of times you'll feel a real quick progression of taps. Usually the crappie only thumps it once, and you wanna set the hook fairly soon. Sometimes, though, you'll notice the line jump, or you'll see the line start "swimming" more than it should...set the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll cast out with my jig under a bobber during the spring water warm up.
    12" is what I'll allow between the 2 as crappires and gills feed up.

On windy days my main goal is to keep the loop out of my line and let the waves bounce the jig up & down.
    On calm days I'll reel in 1 crank & pause repeating this until I am out of the zone. I always watch the bobber.I'll see a tick of the bobber & I'll stop the reel action & it will go sideways or slowly go down if it's a crappie.A gill will hammer it quickly.
    Sometimes if we get a cold front which pushes the fish to deeper water I'll verticle jig. Then I'll drop to the bottom. Lift 1 crank and pause then another & another. I'll keep track of how many cranks off of the bottom I am so when I get that 1st one I can come back to the same spot or # of cranks off of the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot. I can see that I have been moving it way to much. I have caught a few with bobber and tightlining. I will just have to work at it harder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast