Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Line twist problems :(

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Line twist problems :(

Went fishing on the river today. Throwing 1/8 oz. Rattle trap and 1/4 oz Roadrunner. Useing Zebco Omega Z03 with 8# line. Everything smooth starting out but after about 50 cast or so it became harder to reel in line, as it had resistance, not smooth. I popped off the spool and popped on the backup spool, smooth as silk again. Then 50 or so cast same thing. I noticted when the lures are cast they spin through the air thus twisting the line. Also the Rattle trap would hook on the line sometimes and spin on the reteive , twisting the line. My anwser, use a snap swivel on the end of the line. Question , will this affect the action of the lures ? Would a single barrel swivel, 8" up the line work better ? Any advice, opinions , or input ?
    -Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hmmmm

OK I hate to give this advice but after 25 years of the same problem I gotta say there is only a couple of things to try.
    First when throwing a rattle trap of any size it is best to use a small swivel. I know I absolutely hate the things but they will work in this case.
    Secondly I use Silicone Spray exclusively and throughout the day while I am throwing anything without a bobber. Get a good grade and spray away!!!
    One other thing is when you are spooling your reel never put it on too tight and as you are spooling watch for twists. If it starts to twist you are putting it on backwards so simply flip the spool over and continue to watch, repeat as necessary.
    Lastly, you might have change the brand of line you are using.
    Crouch & Hengstler Team Vicious, Southern Pro, Crappie Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4
    Went fishing on the river today. Throwing 1/8 oz. Rattle trap and 1/4 oz Roadrunner. Useing Zebco Omega Z03 with 8# line. Everything smooth starting out but after about 50 cast or so it became harder to reel in line, as it had resistance, not smooth. I popped off the spool and popped on the backup spool, smooth as silk again. Then 50 or so cast same thing. I noticted when the lures are cast they spin through the air thus twisting the line. Also the Rattle trap would hook on the line sometimes and spin on the reteive , twisting the line. My anwser, use a snap swivel on the end of the line. Question , will this affect the action of the lures ? Would a single barrel swivel, 8" up the line work better ? Any advice, opinions , or input ?
    -Thank you
    Yes, it would help. I think a bearing swivel would work a little better altho I am a little confused as to how your line is getting twisted in the first place. Make sure your spinning reel spool is NOT turning as you are retrieving (i.e. drag set tight enough) To get the twist out of your line, remove ALL hardware, let out a couple hundred feet of line as you "troll" at a slow speed. A distance of a couple hundred yards or so should remove all twist.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Post Thanks / Like

If you'll let your lure hang a couple feet below the tip of your rod until it stops spinning every few casts then any twist in the line will come out as the lure spins. If it takes more than a few seconds then you need to do it more often. It takes a little time but can prevent more time consuming problems later.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

IMHO The barrel swivel was answer. However not all reels designed to prevent twist.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

I've had similar problems and a swivel solved it for me. To prevent any negative impact to the action of the lure, I put on the swivel with about a foot or two more line between the swivel and the lure (basically making a leader).

This keeps the line from twisting, but doesn't change the action of the lure as a snap-swivel attached directly to the lure might.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get a lot of twist in your line then idle along and take your bait off. Pull out all the line and let it drag in the water for a few minutes. This will get all the twist out. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion