This doesnt necessarily have anything to do with crappie fishing but i hope some of you veterans can make some suggestions that may help.

My wifes grandfather passed away this past year on Christmas Eve. He had been sick for some time with Parkinson's disease. ALthough he was not my mentor, he did get me hooked on crappie fishing in a little town in central Florida that is located on the St Johns River bordering lakes Dexter and Woodruff. For several years i made a trip in february and october to crappie fish and that is how my crappie fishing passion was kindled.

Upon his passing, his wife offerred to let me go through his fishing equipment and gave me permission to take whatever i wanted. I agreed and this past weekend she and i went through it together. Many fond memories as they were not only married and best friends but enjoyed many years together fishing.

She and her late husband had his and hers everything. From jig poles, to baitcasting poles, to tackle boxes, to baits. There was evidence of many years of fishing by the graduation of both quality and quantity of equipment.

My question to you all is this. I have poured through a dozen tackle boxes with every kind of lure imaginable. No rust whatsoever on anything. He was a stickler for organization and preservation of his equipment. How best would it be to clean the old lures, so that i can preserve them for many years to come. There are probably solvents and soaps and methods to stay away from but i just wanted to see what you all have to say.

I appreciate your responses.

Chris