Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advise With Boat Pro Crappie 175

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Advise With Boat Pro Crappie 175

I Am Interested In Purchasing A Pro Crappie 175. It Comes Standard With A 25 Hp Motor. The Up Grades Are 40 Hp Or 60 Hp. Concerned About The Power With The 25 Hp. Will It Get Across The Water Fairly Good With The 25 Or Do I Need To Go Bigger. How About In The Wind. Sure Would Appericate Some Advise. It Really Jumps In Price When You Go Bigger. Thanks Again

Post Thanks / Like

I'd consider where you plan to fish. Extra speed doesn't mean as much on an 800 acre lake as it does on a 10,000 acre lake. Most of the factory package motors are undersized for the boat, but you don't catch fish while the outboard is running.

flslabhunter Guest

Default I have one!

I love the boat, but if I had it to do over again, I would've upgraded to a 50 or 60 hp motor. With the 25, the boat will do about 20 mph with just me in the boat. However, if both my Dad and I are in it, it won't even get up on top of the water. Definately go with at least the 50. Also, the 25 doesn't have tilt/trim.

Post Thanks / Like

For what it is worth, i have a 1998 PT 175. When i ordered it, i got the 9.9 hp hooked to the controls. All of my local lakes have a 10hp limit, wanted the convenience of a fully rigged boat, with the little motor. In february i bought a brand new Mercury 25hp 4-stroke, EFI with power trim. Had BPS install it. This motor is as quiet as a sewing machine, at idle or 5000 rpm. The power trim is very convenient and works at the motor, console and the bow. Pushes me by myself at 20mph and my brother and i together at 18mph plus. When i got home with the new motor i pumped out the old mixed fuel and put 14 gallons (16 gallon tank) of fresh 87 octane in it. Have fished a dozen times around home and spent 4.5 days at reelfoot and havnet added a drop of fuel with. This includes the break in.

The way i look at it is this. Make sure your boat is powered according to the lakes you plan to fish. It doesnt do any good to have a big motor, on a smaller lake. Likewise, consider weather driving 30mph vs 20mph on a bigger lake is worth the extra cost. For me, i enjoy the scenery while traversing lakes here in KY. The 25 hp with power trim suites me to a T, but that is just one mans oppinion.

my .02 worth.

chris
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older pro crappie 2001 with the 40hp motor, and it pushes it along fine( 27mph by myself ), im on ky lake ( huge) but generally fish close to the cabin so the 40hp is fine for me,, the boat has a good smooth ride,, a bit wet if its choppy or windy when turning,,
    it really depends upon your lake,, how big ,, windy ,,choppy,, the bigger hp can be a life saver if your far from home and a storm kicks up,,,,
    the boat itself is nice, the newer ones have good improvements over my older one,, larger casting deck in back, different seating options,ect,, but quality has been very good,,,

also consider 4 strokes for quieter, much better gas milage , but they are heavier ( slower) ,,,

a friend came down last week with a 16' crestliner fish hawk,, sweet boat, real wide, great seating and fishability,much better on rough water,,,just went to their website,, $13,500 with a 50hp!
    saftey first,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Man I don't know where you live but I am selling my G3 Eagle 175 Pan Fish with a 75 HP 4 Stroke and is only 1 year old this month. So if you are not a world away here it is...

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Pro Crappie 2002 model with the 40 hp. I would definetly upgrade. From what I had heard the 25 hp just would not provide enough power if you had more than one person in the boat. Now if you fish by yourself alot or are on small lakes with limits on speed that would be ok, but if you plan to get on any bigger lakes or always have a fishing buddy along go for the upgrade. I can pretty much take 3 people out with me and it does fine. You will get wet in this boat if there is any wake coming from either side of the boat, but I am happy with it other than that. Good Luck with it!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 50 hp four stroke and would not go much less than that.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2001 Pro Crappie. Bought it with the standard 25 HP, but about 2 years ago upgraded to a 40 HP. Really made the boat perform much better. Seemed to help get the front end out of the water more, which helped keep you from getting as wet. Still do once and a while when the water is choppy. If I were you I would get the 40 HP because then you will get the most out of that boat. I have looked at other boats out there because I would like a little wider boat, but I just can't find a setup that I like better than the Pro Crappie 175!! Nice Boat!!

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought a Lowe Stinger 175. It is very similar to the Pro Crappie. I upgraded to the 60 HP four stroke. This motor is amazingly quiet. We can talk at full throttle. You do have to raise your voice some but not much. If you can stretch and afford a four stroke I don't think you will regret it.
    If you can't then buy what you can afford and don't ever look back.
    If you haven't looked at the Lowe you might want to. I was/am pleased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast