Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New rod and reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default New rod and reel

Been a lot of years since I've had an ultra light rod and reel but have one again now. Got a small Ocuma reel, Ignite iT 10a. Put it on an Ocuma 5' ultra light rod. I keep reading about the long rods guy's use for crappie and just don't understand it. I'm thinking this little thing should be fine for the small crappie we have here in Oregon. Filled the spool up with 4# kastking mono. Took it down the river late yesterday afternoon, late evening and got a few small bass with it. I think a two or three pound fish might wear this outfit out! Boy is it light. Fishing for crappie I got to where I enjoy casting and retrieving for them. 8" crappie on this rod should be fun. To give idea how long it's been without an ultra light, my last one was a Mitchell 308 on a Garcia 3206 5' rod! That is older than a lot of guy on here!

Yesterday I tried out a plastic I've never done any good with. But rally like it and always figured sooner or later it had to work. Lead head jig about 1/16oz with the body of a very small fish cast to it, about 1 1/2 inch's. Thing looks like a real fish! Got five small bass with it, threw two of them back!
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I must be old I remember buying 308 and they were the best.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    dave
    in currituck

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe 50 View Post

I AM OLD .... and I used to have a couple Mitchell 308's. Sold them to a friend that used them in casting distance contests at our local Sportsman's Club, of which he was a member. Fast forward about 45yrs (+/-) and I now have two Mitchell 308x reels. Great reels and one of the more smoother operating reels I own.
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have my 308 from early 70's - made in France - sitting on my bench right now. Stripped it down, cleaned it up and now chasing the anti-reverse spring around the room as it flies out multiple times. But what the heck, I don't have a job other than that reel right now. Loved that reel from day one, had it on a DAM Quick UL rod for a long time.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

When you buy a 308 or 300 back in the 70's you better buy extra bail springs. Nwouls wear them out every year.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my UL rods, with 3# line. Caught a 2.5# bass today with it. What a fight. I use 4 and 5' rods. Congrats for taking the plunge to UL fishing!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had bouts with UL over the years, fly fishing too. Always come back to it, and that speaks volumes of where my heart lies. Had the boat out today, 5 UL rods in it, and even caught a few. It ain’t for everyone so I consider myself part of the chosen few. I’ve had a few of the vintage ones that make us old dudes smile when we remember them. My first was a 5’ Browning silaflex without an ounce of backbone. A Diawa Mini-Mite reel on it that I just plain wore out. Later on I had a fenwick 5’ that I bought for $2 at a flea market from the garbage man. Had a piece of mono tied to the tip. Kinda little for a cane pole. I live for the fish that either stop the rod when you lift the tip to drive the needle point home, or the ones that take over and show their stuff. Doesn’t get any better.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe 50 View Post

They really were nice!